Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have an offer from Oxford for 2009 entry, but I didn't realise that I wanna take a gap year until now, can I still ask the college to do this?
    :woo:

ReputationRep:
    you can always ask, the worse that will happen is they say no.

ReputationRep:
    Ask them for deferred entry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d.b.asf)
    you can always ask, the worse that will happen is they say no.
    that's true, I'll wait until the results are published.
    just thought some1 might have similar experience.

ReputationRep:
    Basically:

- Yes you can ask
    - In many cases they will say yes
    - However, in order to do so they have to be sure that you are better than people they haven't yet interviewed.
    - So if you were the star of the class of 2008 interviews then chances are they'll say yes.
    - But if, in 2008, you were there final pick and they think the general standard may be higher next year then they may reserve the place and say it's this year or nothing.

What I would say is have clear plans for what you would like to do this year so that you can explain, and tell them why this would be valuable. They're unlikely to give you a year off if you just fancy staying at home working in the corner shop because your girlfriend is in the year below or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    Basically:

- Yes you can ask
    - In many cases they will say yes
    - However, in order to do so they have to be sure that you are better than people they haven't yet interviewed.
    - So if you were the star of the class of 2008 interviews then chances are they'll say yes.
    - But if, in 2008, you were there final pick and they think the general standard may be higher next year then they may reserve the place and say it's this year or nothing.

What I would say is have clear plans for what you would like to do this year so that you can explain, and tell them why this would be valuable. They're unlikely to give you a year off if you just fancy staying at home working in the corner shop because your girlfriend is in the year below or something.
    lol that's quite clear, thanks.
    My dad said something about going to the States for working issues this year, and I've always wanted to go there, so is traveling a good reason?

ReputationRep:
    It's not a 'good' reason but it may be an acceptable one depending on the tutor. Your tutors are reasonable human beings so they may be very generous but equally they may be very stubborn. A 'good' reason would be something that actually relates to your academic development.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    It's not a 'good' reason but it may be an acceptable one depending on the tutor. Your tutors are reasonable human beings so they may be very generous but equally they may be very stubborn. A 'good' reason would be something that actually relates to your academic development.
    thanks, I'll ask them anyway, fingers crossed, lol

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you line up some work experience related to your degree in the states then you can say you're going to broaden your experience or something they will like more than "travelling". you can "travel" during your extensive summer holiday if that's all you want to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Why don't you line up some work experience related to your degree in the states then you can say you're going to broaden your experience or something they will like more than "travelling". you can "travel" during your extensive summer holiday if that's all you want to do
    Awesome idea!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.