Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is Financial Endowment and Fixed Assets basically the same thing? I'm confused because according to wiki cambridge colleges seem to have a lot more cash than its oxford counterparts.

just seems odd to me.

ReputationRep:
    Isnt that because Cambridge is slightly richer and there are fewer colleges so more money per college?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmellyCat16)
    Is Financial Endowment and Fixed Assets basically the same thing? I'm confused because according to wiki cambridge colleges seem to have a lot more cash than its oxford counterparts.

just seems odd to me.
    No they aren't the same

Fixed Assets are buildings, equipment and land. Stuff you can sell for cash.
    Current Assets are cash and money in bank accounts.
    Financial Endowment is a sum of money that the college owns but does not have ready access to. It is money that can be invested and used to provide an income, but the college cannot withdraw it. It is normally money that is donated to the college on condition that it be invested.

There is a case for overlap. Endowment money can be invested in land or artworks, but certain things can be endowment but not fixed assets (i.e. money invested in shares in a company) or fixed assets but not endowment (college furniture or the college buildings themselves).

Most colleges will have larger endowments than the value of their fixed assets. But Cambridge colleges tend to be richer than Oxford colleges.

Cambridge colleges are also larger and fewer in number than Oxfords remember.

ReputationRep:
    And just because it's richer doesn't mean they'll spend lots on their undergrads (although, granted, most tend to). The best argument for rich colleges like John's (oxford in this case, although the same probably applies to cambridge too) is that they can afford to poach the best tutors from other colleges, give massive research grants, and they offer things like travel and book grants, the former literally being them paying for you to go enrich your mind

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.