Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Nobody ever seems to talk about this, I think generally because it seems somewhat a taboo that anybody would study medicine and not go on and do it, but I was wondering how far a medicine degree could get you in other fields. Would it be as respected as say, a chemistry degree in the fields of finance, or is it limited that with a medicine degree the only graduate doors open to you are really research and medicine itself?

Now I am simply curious about this, currently I have no plans not to do Medicine after my degree, but situations change all the time and I thought it would just be interesting to find out. So please, don't just bombard this thread with attacks like "You're taking £250k of my tax money, you better just be a doctor", "How dare you take a place away from somebody who actually wants to be a doctor, don't study it if you don't want it".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyofengland)
    Nobody ever seems to talk about this, I think generally because it seems somewhat a taboo that anybody would study medicine and not go on and do it, but I was wondering how far a medicine degree could get you in other fields. Would it be as respected as say, a chemistry degree in the fields of finance, or is it limited that with a medicine degree the only graduate doors open to you are really research and medicine itself?
    I'm told it's quite useful. However, I only know one person who's binned it and got out and they're not having the best time at the moment. It's hard to tell because the job market has stalled for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Jonny - this has been covered before, and BMJ Careers have ran numberous "what can I do with a medicine degree that's not medicine" articles (they did a whole series a year or two back), so it might be worth doing a search of this site and the BMJ sites.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Jonny - this has been covered before, and BMJ Careers have ran numberous "what can I do with a medicine degree that's not medicine" articles (they did a whole series a year or two back), so it might be worth doing a search of this site and the BMJ sites.
    Oh right, thanks. :o: I'll have a look for that now.

I know someone who qualified as a dr and then switched to law - and I also know a lawyer who has just switched to medicine. Ultimately, a degree is a degree and I'm sure you can go on to do other things if your heart desires.

ReputationRep:
    I know three medics who at various points in their careers (all after getting membership) went to the city or big pharma. They were welcomed with open arms and golden handshakes, are raking it in, and while they still have long hours and stress, they are happier now then when they were in medicine.

ReputationRep:
    I would imagine it valued pretty highly, as it is one of, if not the most competitive subject to gain entry at...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyofengland)

Now I am simply curious about this, currently I have no plans not to do Medicine after my degree, but situations change all the time and I thought it would just be interesting to find out. So please, don't just bombard this thread with attacks like "You're taking £250k of my tax money, you better just be a doctor", "How dare you take a place away from somebody who actually wants to be a doctor, don't study it if you don't want it".
    I know people who have quit medicine to be a lawyer, a banker and a management consultant. It's the prestige of the degree (and the skills you learnt - analytical, not rote learning) that usually gives you the chance to do so. But this may be a bit of a fait accompli - those who apply for medicine are usually ones with the high grades anyway, so the fact that they are competitive enough to go for competitive jobs, and are successful of it, is no coincidence...

ReputationRep:
    I seem to have stumbled(!) into a highly competitive doctoral training programme, with much less maths experience than almost every other applicant and what I now realise was a rather unprepared interview. Surely being a medic gave me the legup!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.