Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What A-levels should I take to do Bsc Accounting and Finance? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey I want to do Accounting and Finance in uni but I'm really confused cos some uni e.g. Warwick say
    "Maths-related subjects such as Economics or Accounting and Finance are not acceptable for this requirement." and "Candidates are also required to have studied a breadth of Higher / A-Level subjects, including mathematics or a science and a humanities or social science subject. Candidates should also show some evidence of subject continuity e.g. taking a subject/subjects forward from Year 11 to A level study. "
    So what does that mean, I love maths so i'm definitely taking that
    but i wanted to take Economics, do they not take people who do economics???

(Other GCSE subjects : music, geography, business studies, french, ict, re, pshe + add. science, maths, english lit/lang)

thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by memyselfandi93)
    Hey I want to do Accounting and Finance in uni but I'm really confused cos some uni e.g. Warwick say
    "Maths-related subjects such as Economics or Accounting and Finance are not acceptable for this requirement." and "Candidates are also required to have studied a breadth of Higher / A-Level subjects, including mathematics or a science and a humanities or social science subject. Candidates should also show some evidence of subject continuity e.g. taking a subject/subjects forward from Year 11 to A level study. "
    So what does that mean, I love maths so i'm definitely taking that
    but i wanted to take Economics, do they not take people who do economics???

(Other GCSE subjects : music, geography, business studies, french, ict, re, pshe + add. science, maths, english lit/lang)

thank you
    'Candidates are required to offer at least A level B (or equivalent) in a Mathematical subject (e.g. Maths, Further Maths or Statistics) to apply for this course. Maths-related subjects such as Economics or Accounting and Finance are not acceptable for this requirement.'

You need to read it in context . You need a mathematical subject which isn't economics etc. So take maths. They want you to have this, a science and then a social science. So i'd recomend:

Maths (will help a lot)
    Biology/Chem/Physics
    And then a humanity which is respected such as English Lit/History
    A fourth subject you think you'll drop at AS, but enjoy and will do well in, being prepared to take this to A level incase something goes wrong with one of your subjects.

ReputationRep:
    They want you to show a breadth of skills - so in addition to maths, why not try further maths continuity, an essay subject like english literature, a language like French, or your favourite science, and if you want to do economics, do economics. It seems they want more traditional, respected subjects (english lit, history, physics, chemistry, biology, maths, further maths, french) than 'newer' subjects such as accounting; but there is no reason why economics couldn't be a fourth or fifth choice for you, especially if you want to do it. It will be better to show a range of skills and do things you are good at and enjoy than trying to please too many universities - you'll do better to get straight As in something you enjoy, than taking a less comfortable subject and struggling to get through the next few years

Ideally: Maths, Further Maths +

two of:

physics, chemistry, history, biology, classics, philosophy, english lit, geography etc.

If possible, take AEA maths. And deffo further maths if you can.

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished an accounting degree and I did maths, english language, economics and business studies. I would recommend maths and economics then either a science or humanities. If i had the choice again I would take a science (biology) instead of business studies. Not because it will help you on the course (obviously!) just for a bit more variety and, as the requirements state, to give a bit more breadth. My shcool couldn't offer me a sciance due to timetabling problems but hey ho, worked out ok anyway!
    Maths is a good one and since you enjoy it you will likely do very well.
    Although it says economics doesn't count as a maths based subject there's nothing to stop you taking it alongside maths itself. Personally, I found my economics a level to be the most useful to me in the actual course. Most courses involve a lot of economics and in my experience people who didn't do economics found it much harder to grasp the economics elements and those of us with economics a levels and found it the hardest part of the course. That may sound like i'm stating the obvious but i'm just saying don't underestimate the amount of economics in the course. Even if you only carry it as an AS levle you will get a lot of benefit from it. I think you will probably enjoy it. I did, but i had a fantastic teacher and there were only 3 of us in the class!
    In maths I would try and concentrate on statistics modules rather than mechanics or decision. We did 4 cores and 1 statistics and 1 mechanics in my a level. If you have the choice I would advise doing 4 core, 2 statistics or something like that since the maths elements of the course are heavily statistics based, rather than pure and you will go into the course with more relevent knowledge.

I think taking a science and something like english/history or a languange would be good to go with those. Neither will help you in the course at all, but are good, respected subjects which will be taken seriously by good universities.

As has already been mentioned, taking something you enjoy will make you more likely to erform well in the subject. How about carrying on with your geography, french or one of the sciences you enjoyed? (that will then satisfy the crieteria of carrying subjects through from GCSE too)

Hope that helps. If you have any more questions feel free to ask about the course etc. I did it at Newcastle but there will be similarities across the board. Where are you applying?

Han

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.