Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

lone woman travelling in india (esp new delhi) Watch

ReputationRep:
    It would be a good idea to meet up with fellow travellers where you might be staying, touring Delhi alone can mean you get ripped off everywhere. The main things to do are:
    a) Dont get drunk in a public place. I'd avoid going to a nightclub alone altogether, but if you really want to go just make sure you dont get too drunk.
    b) Agree on a fixed price with taxis when you are travelling long distances(such as to/from the airport). Taxi drivers will often try to fleece you and keep going for hours in circles(this happens to us Delhites too ) so its best to get a fixed price.
    c) Whenever possible, use the Metro instead of buses(especially at peak hours), its much safer. Plan your trip so that places you want to see within a certain area are all covered together, since distances are huge in Delhi and rush hour is even worse.
    d) Wikitravel has a list of sights as well as some general info, so do look it up. LonelyPlanet might have a list of good places to stay, so you should give that a shot too.
    e) In INR, you will get ripped off though if you buy from malls and stores, you will probably only pay the MRP. The downside to buying from malls and stores is its not as much fun and you will get a lot less things that are unique to India. The Rupee being 1/80th of the pound however means that you wont pay much in pounds, at worst it will probably be the same overall price it would in Britain.
    Dont just limit yourself to Delhi, if you find the time there are a lot of interesting places outside it too. Agra's 3 hours away while Mathura and Jaipur arent too far away either. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun there.

ReputationRep:
    I went with another female friend, and we were fine. We didn't find that you get hassled a lot more by people trying to sell you stuff, just remember to be polite and firm and to keep an eye on your stuff. I took a small bag with a zip, a clasp and an inside pocket, which was great to keep your passport and money in. Also be very careful about covering up- I saw another girl wearing long shorts who was getting filthy looks from everyone, so just be aware of it.
    I recommend Agra if you have time, check out www.itrc.com or www.seat61.com for tickets.
    Message me if you want to know anything else, I was there a month ago and might be able to help you out!

ReputationRep:
    hi everyone.

thanks for all your helpful replies.however i've decided that i don't think i'm going to go by myself, and try to go with a travel company tour instead. it'd be much easier to organise and i think i'd have piece of mind. anyone have any experience of this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairycakes)
    hi everyone.

thanks for all your helpful replies.however i've decided that i don't think i'm going to go by myself, and try to go with a travel company tour instead. it'd be much easier to organise and i think i'd have piece of mind. anyone have any experience of this?

aww don't be put off
    to go on your own to India is to be well and truly free

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 13, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.