Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Right, I've turned 18 today and I was wondering If HSBC will update my Solo card into a Adult Card which would be a VISA now? I've had my Solo card since 2005. Do I have to phone them up or will they automatically send me a new card through the post as I have turned 18 and how long will this process take?

ReputationRep:
    No, you have to enquire about a new account before it is changed. You sometimes have to put in £100 to activate acount (HBOS)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benboner)
    Right, I've turned 18 today and I was wondering If HSBC will update my Solo card into a Adult Card which would be a VISA now? I've had my Solo card since 2005. Do I have to phone them up or will they automatically send me a new card through the post as I have turned 18 and how long will this process take?
    Wrong forum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calvie)
    No, you have to enquire about a new account before it is changed. You sometimes have to put in £100 to activate acount (HBOS)
    Ah my friend said he just got one through the post without enquiring or anything. Best thing is to ring up then?

ReputationRep:
    If you use online banking, send them a message, or go into your branch and just ask them to update it and send you the new card.

I've been 18 for 9 months now and I still have my solo card.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by sleekchic)
    I've been 18 for 9 months now and I still have my solo card.
    I'm in my second year of uni and I still have my solo card. There's no need to upgrade it to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnum Opus)
    There's no need to upgrade it to be honest.
    Try buying a pint in a pub with a Solo then buy a pint with a Visa Debit and you'll see that it matters a whole lot

Pubs mostly see Solo cards as kiddy cards as far as I can tell.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by JacksterD)
    Try buying a pint in a pub with a Solo then buy a pint with a Visa Debit and you'll see that it matters a whole lot

Why would you buy anything in a pub with a card. That's a poor argument, you can't use it as proof of ID or anything either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JacksterD)

Kiddy?? you are kidding me right... i'd rather have my solo then a visa because i only use funds that are availble to me...rather not be in debt...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samperry209)
    Kiddy?? you are kidding me right... i'd rather have my solo then a visa because i only use funds that are availble to me...rather not be in debt...
    lol pwned. I agree 101%.

ReputationRep:
    Urm, no.

He said Visa Debit. That's a debit card, just like Solo, not a credit card.

A Visa Debit card is certainly not the same as an ordinary Visa card. So at least check that you even understand what you are talking about before ripping on someone like that.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying it's kiddy - I'm saying pubs doubt your age when you use a solo card.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    You can go into the bank and ask to be upgraded from a Solo card to a Maestro.

Same with an Electron to a Visa Debit.

Mastercard + Visa Credit are entirely different and require a different process of application.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.