Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering, does Aberystwyth (the town itself, not the uni) have many chavs compared to other towns? I can't imagine it does, since it seems like it's a bit more remote than other places, but then again there's always some, right? I don't have a phobia of chavs, I just think they're an eyesore. :rolleyes:

And no, this won't affect any of my decisions, as I've already confirmed my unconditional for 09/10. I've always figured this'd be one of the advantages of being in a more remote area -- less chavs. Confirm/Deny?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, it still has its fair share, although I'd say they are outnumbered by the students, you only really notice them around at weekends!

ReputationRep:
    Nowhere near as many as most other places, but there are still a few kicking around
    Not as in-your-face-aggressive as most others though

ReputationRep:
    I suppose having to live in an environment where they're massively outnumbered by students has subdued them a bit.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the only time when I saw any was when we went for a smoke and a bunch of 12 year old wanna-be chavs started talking ******** like they do. They quickly ****** off.

There's mainly emos tbh, and whilst annoying, they're at least harmless.

ReputationRep:
    You normally get quite afew driving around on a night time. I remember when I lived on the main road laughing at the ones which came round the corner by laura ashley too quickly and ran into the fence or the first car parked infront of oxfam.

ReputationRep:
    Ermmm..... what are chavs? *is an overseas student*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iorek)
    Ermmm..... what are chavs? *is an overseas student*
    Well...

A "chav" is a primitive life form somewhere between vermin and parasite that earns its living by signing up for the social (British unemployment benefits), stealing things from its local supermarket, or in most cases combining the two. A few of the moar enterprising chavs eke out a living selling low-grade cannabis and heavily adulterated amphetamines to school children.
    Spotting one of these social blemishes is easy: look for a curry-stained shell-suit and Burberry ****-sock. Other chav "rude boiz" identify themselves by tucking their trademark tracksuit-bottoms into the huge football socks they wear. All chavs wear a permanent frown because frowning makes you look "hard". Recently they have begun to devolve even further, deliberately scarring themselves underneath either eye or anywhere else on the face, but it's hard to work out if that makes them hard or just emo would-bes. No matter what stage of Chav-olution they may/may not have fallen to, they are all distinguished by their trademark "walk". Chavs without exception smoke cigarettes from the age of seven, due to a chronic inability to withstand peer pressure. This age also coincides with the first time most Chav females bear a child for the extra social payments.
    Language

Unfortunately for society, chavs are prone to believing we give a **** about everything they have to say. Glue sniffing behind the bike sheds led them to invent or adopt many words that would make anyone's ears bleed, >so you probably don't want to hear them so here is delicious caek:

1. amazin- The only word a chav is linguistically capable of using to describe an object or person. The first sign of a lack of vocabulary.
    2. wussup ma homie? - "What is happening at the moment, my residential colleague?"
    3. yeah m8 - An automatic response received after insulting a chav (more often followed with a punch).
    4. Bruv - An abbreviation of "brother". They seem to be capable of calling anyone their brother. If they use this term too much it opens up the gate of being able to troll them by saying "you're all brothers? Your mom must have been a real **** to have had all of you"
    5. Wa g'wan - "What is going on?", mostly used to mean "Hello, how are you?"
    6. Bare - "A lot", "Big", "an abundance of", "copious"
    7. Brap/Prap - Used to draw attention to oneself, representing the sound of a gun.
    8. Bo - Also used to draw attention.
    9. Mint - "Brilliant".
    10. Blut-blut - Also used to draw attention to oneself.
    11. Innit/Ennit - "Isn't it just."
    12. Yezzir - "Yes, sir", imitated by Chavs upon hearing "Pharrell Williams" say the word himself in a few songs.
    13. Blud - "Blood", announced in recognition as a follower of theirs being a so-called brother.
    14. Moshy bashin - finding and starting a fait/fight with a "mosher innit".
    15. Orrrr M8 - "I am most impressed with this information." This may also be heard before being harassed for a cigarette, and then being questioned as to why you don't have any/won't give them one.
    16. **** off - "I'm afraid I cannot see eye to eye with you on this matter."
    17. Startin? - "Would you be suggesting that we engage in a physical confrontation of a violent nature?"
    18. GEE UZ YER PHONE - "Hand over your mobile communications device, or face a bit of rough and tumble."
    19. WAAAAAAAAAH - The most common chav mating call.
    20. Missions - A great distance.
    21. Blatantly - The strongest word a chav has in its arsenal. If you're blatantly startin' with him, you should probably flee. A chav will not resort to a three-syllable word except at the utmost end of need.
    22. Proper - Used as the adjective in most sentences, declaring that something is good. "Lad lad lad, dat's a proper cat there, lad."
    23. Lad - A chav's favorite appellation. Chavs will frequently use this to engage in a conversation, often repeating it several times until it can think of something to say afterwords. Usually followed by the question "What've ya bin' sayin' about me ma lad?"
    24. Dirt - A cigarette.
    25. Set Me - May I inquire as to [one of] your [possessions]? Example, 'Set me a fag, bruv'.
    26. Wickiiid - "I derive much enjoyment from that particular occurrence".
    27. Shockin - "I'm afraid I must disagree with your claim"
    28. like - Pause filler, used to stall for time while preparations are made to attempt vocalization of the next word
    29. Ooo! 'Ere - "Hello there, could I have your attention please?"
    30. Ee's takin' the piss - He has not yielded to us immediately, handed over his cash and cards, admitted all fault for the incident and apologized for the inconvenience! The audacity! The temerity!
    31. 'Aving a Chew - Undertaking an arduous task, such as writing your name.
    32. Do a Nash - To make an prompt exit, usually on the rare occasion that outnumbering the foe 10 to 1 is not enough to win a fight.
    33. La - usually added to the end of the chav's name i.e Ricky La or Sarah La, indicating a friend or someone you fell friendly towards
    34. Yer got twenny pee, mate? - "Do you happen to have twenty pence Sterling on your person that I could borrow?"
    35. Yer gorra light? - "May I please borrow (steal) a cigarette lighter?"

They represent the decline of society. Hence why it's preferable not to have many around. If only because they absolutely ruin the view.

ReputationRep:
    In one word they can be generally summed up as scum!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like an Ork vocab.

Yes, I've just been playing Dawn of War...

ReputationRep:
    What do you call a chav in a suit?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The defendant

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the explanation. I thought such things were called yobs or lad-culture?

ReputationRep:
    Lad-culture is very different to chav culture, in that it doesn't necessarily revolve around burberry hats and dodgy generically branded shellsuits. It's more to do with the culture of going out and "binge-drinking" aka far too much alcohol at one time and egging each other on to do moronic things in public, which although chavs do partake in this (typically with tins of stella and bottles of vodka), students in general are also notorious for these activities. Which if looked at in a certain way, gives most of us something in common with the degenerates so often found in council estates.

And "yob" is more of a posh person's descriptive of loud, unruly, uncultured teenagers. Which isn't necessarily the same as being a chav. In fact, stereotypically the only people that use the word yob much nowadays are grannies and politicians, with reference to any teenager who makes any noise at all in their local vicinity.

ReputationRep:
    we got loads of these guys in Poland.

ReputationRep:
    You might get alot more if there is a "chav-night" at the student union

ReputationRep:
    I dont quite get it why would anybody organise a chav-night... but allright. Looking forward to seeing it, then

ReputationRep:
    Chav night is just a piss take of chavs, everyone gets dressed up in tracksuits and burberry, and tucks their trousers into their socks
    It's a good night out

ReputationRep:
    Wow, a funny thing to organise.
    But don't The Real Chavs come over to parties like these, just to say hi to people who are jeering at them? All in all, they would be nicely camouflaged.

ReputationRep:
    Non uni-students aren't allowed into the union, without being signed in by a student
    And the few chavs that there are in aber are much more interested in boy racing up and down the highstreet and going to pier pressure, than trying to sneak into the union

ReputationRep:
    oh, right.

and... what's a pier pressure?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.