Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Reading the threads it seems front office jobs are taken mainly by oxbridge etc graduates. I go to Leeds so maybe it's unlikely i'd get an interview, but i think with a first middle office is within reach. Actually looking at a description of middle office work, such as risk management analysing front trades, it seems like an interesting job.

My question is, are internships mainly tasters for front office jobs, or are there internships specifically for middle office jobs?

If not, when someone graduates how do they go for the middle office jobs? Are all grad schemes aimed at the front office?

I'm not an expert on these things and haven't found much on here about it. The emphasis seems to be on front office roles.

ReputationRep:
    uni plays a big part but it's not 100%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George231086)
    Reading the threads it seems front office jobs are taken mainly by oxbridge etc graduates. I go to Leeds so maybe it's unlikely i'd get an interview, but i think with a first middle office is within reach. Actually looking at a description of middle office work, such as risk management analysing front trades, it seems like an interesting job.

My question is, are internships mainly tasters for front office jobs, or are there internships specifically for middle office jobs?

If not, when someone graduates how do they go for the middle office jobs? Are all grad schemes aimed at the front office?

I'm not an expert on these things and haven't found much on here about it. The emphasis seems to be on front office roles.
    You'd be surprised at how little Oxbridge dominates the front office roles I think - they get a fair number into front office, but so do loads of other top 10 universities. Having said this, Leeds is not top 10, so you would struggle with landing a front office job upon graduating, but if you do well then you could quite feasibly get onto a top notch Masters course at one of the top 5 unis - this would boost your chances hugely...

Anyway, back to the original point - with a 2.1 or a 1st from Leeds, a Middle Office job should certainly be within reach. When you're doing your applications, there's often a drop down menu asking you to select which area you'd like to apply for. With some banks these selections are quite vague and don't offer a massive choice of roles, however others seem to have more options. Furthermore, you should definitely not regard internships as a 'taster for front office' jobs, as there are a range of opportunities in varying divisions. Yes, the revenue generators are the guys in front office, but a bank can't function without it's back and middle office, so they put just as much effort into recruiting for those positions.

I asked a Director last summer what the front office view was in terms of back/middle office and he replied: "It's like when you flick a light switch, if the lights come on you think nothing of it. However, if the lights don't come on, you get angry and wonder what the **** is wrong. A Trader making a trade is neither the beginning or the end of the process." - it's often a thankless job, but still hugely important.

ReputationRep:
    JP Morgan and quite a few other banks have offices in Leeds which I believe are full of BO and MO jobs. Seeing as you go to Leeds I would check it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    You'd be surprised at how little Oxbridge dominates the front office roles I think - they get a fair number into front office, but so do loads of other top 10 universities. Having said this, Leeds is not top 10, so you would struggle with landing a front office job upon graduating, but if you do well then you could quite feasibly get onto a top notch Masters course at one of the top 5 unis - this would boost your chances hugely...

Anyway, back to the original point - with a 2.1 or a 1st from Leeds, a Middle Office job should certainly be within reach. When you're doing your applications, there's often a drop down menu asking you to select which area you'd like to apply for. With some banks these selections are quite vague and don't offer a massive choice of roles, however others seem to have more options. Furthermore, you should definitely not regard internships as a 'taster for front office' jobs, as there are a range of opportunities in varying divisions. Yes, the revenue generators are the guys in front office, but a bank can't function without it's back and middle office, so they put just as much effort into recruiting for those positions.

I asked a Director last summer what the front office view was in terms of back/middle office and he replied: "It's like when you flick a light switch, if the lights come on you think nothing of it. However, if the lights don't come on, you get angry and wonder what the **** is wrong. A Trader making a trade is neither the beginning or the end of the process." - it's often a thankless job, but still hugely important.
    Thanks for the information. I just wondered how people got into the middle or back office because many on here seem to think without being from a top ten uni you're unlikely to get even an interview. This made me wonder whether there were places to apply just for front office and maybe separate schemes for applying to middle or back. Either that or those applying for front office but don't make it get placed in middle office.

I've got alot to learn about investment banking, but i'm more interested in technical roles and analysis. If these are the jobs that are found mainly in middle office, then i'd be happy to go there.

The likelihood is that i'll be doing an undergraduate mmath at Leeds and possibly a Phd depending on if i'm good enough, can secure funding etc. As i'll be doing the mmath, i probably wouldn't do a masters somewhere else due to the money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrianGretzky99)
    JP Morgan and quite a few other banks have offices in Leeds which I believe are full of BO and MO jobs. Seeing as you go to Leeds I would check it out.
    Thanks, i'll look into that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George231086)
    Thanks for the information. I just wondered how people got into the middle or back office because many on here seem to think without being from a top ten uni you're unlikely to get even an interview. This made me wonder whether there were places to apply just for front office and maybe separate schemes for applying to middle or back. Either that or those applying for front office but don't make it get placed in middle office.

I've got alot to learn about investment banking, but i'm more interested in technical roles and analysis. If these are the jobs that are found mainly in middle office, then i'd be happy to go there.

The likelihood is that i'll be doing an undergraduate mmath at Leeds and possibly a Phd depending on if i'm good enough, can secure funding etc. As i'll be doing the mmath, i probably wouldn't do a masters somewhere else due to the money.
    If you want to get into Middle Office, don't bother with the PhD unless it's something pretty close to your heart, and something you really really want to do. You'll pretty much overqualify yourself for anything that isn't a quant role.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    If you want to get into Middle Office, don't bother with the PhD unless it's something pretty close to your heart, and something you really really want to do. You'll pretty much overqualify yourself for anything that isn't a quant role.
    At the moment i have a strong interest in my subject so i am seriously considering the phd, but alot can change in a few years so i want to keep my options open. I'm definitely going to get the undergraduate masters though.

I mainly want a job that'll be challenging and require alot of thought. There's alot to learn in IB and the environment will constantly be changing so i'd never get too settled into a regime. Add to this the fact that it's generally interesting due to its deep importance in the world and it makes it a career i'd be interested in. The other things i'm considering are actuarial training schemes or petrophysics for BP.

Thanks for giving me an idea about IB. I'm going to research it more thoroughly to work out which office i'd prefer to try for, but i'll bear in mind the extreme competitiveness in front office.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.