Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mercury Music Prize. Watch

ReputationRep:
    So, that time of year again when the best of British Music is meant to be represented in a list of 12 albums which usually range from dire to the unique and interesting. I think it does a good job of reflecting the UK's music-lovers music taste, whether you like the final list or not.

I'm really hoping Emmy the Great, Blue Roses and James Yorkston are there - they are wonderful records and could do with some exposure. There's been quite a few good records, really, but I do expect the list to be a disappointment... I'm predicting something along the lines of:

Bat For Lashes
    Blue Roses
    Doves
    Florence and the Machine
    Glasvegas
    The Horrors
    James Yorkston
    Led Bib
    Little Boots
    Manic Street Preachers
    The Phantom Band
    Speech Debelle

Alternates being: Friendly Fires, Micachu and the Shapes, The Leisure Society, Emmy the Great, Lily Allen, Late of the Pier.

If La Roux, Oasis, White Lies and the likes make it on then I think I'll be sick (I'm not too happy about predicting Glasvegas, either!) Thoughts? Who do you think should be there?

ReputationRep:
    :lulwut: Little Boots? Let's hope not. I don't mind Friendly Fires or Late of the Pier and I like White Lies, too. Oasis better not be there! :mad2:

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I quite like Little Boots - *some* clever little lyrics hidden behind her cheap pop aesthetic. Yeah, I wouldn't mind Friendly Fires or Late of the Pier (who I think will make it if they have the same panel which chose Klaxons). But yes, Oasis would be top of my list of who I don't want to make it!

ReputationRep:
    Late of the Piers album is brilliant.

Just out of interest, within what dates does the album have to be released within to be eligible for this years prize?

ReputationRep:
    If the Horrors are on it, that will be disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banburyhammer)
    Late of the Piers album is brilliant.

Just out of interest, within what dates does the album have to be released within to be eligible for this years prize?
    I think it's anything between July '08 and July '09 but I don't know the exact dates. Though I read The Bug's album was ineligible - released early last July (if it isn't, that will be in). Also, I think Florence and the Machine is eligible... so it probably ended the week that was out.

ReputationRep:
    The Horrors ftw. The Phantom Band album was good too.

ReputationRep:
    Journal for Plague Lovers is an amazing album, if they had have released a single off it I'm sure it would've sold many more than it did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    Journal for Plague Lovers is an amazing album, if they had have released a single off it I'm sure it would've sold many more than it did.
    It is, I usually hate the Manic's, but I listened to this out of curiosity due to the reviews and it really impressed me. It makes me want to give The Holy Bible a go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacccckkkkkkk)
    It is, I usually hate the Manic's, but I listened to this out of curiosity due to the reviews and it really impressed me. It makes me want to give The Holy Bible a go.
    You should, especially Yes, Faster and Die in the Summertime.

The Holy Bible is probably a bit better than Journal for Plague Lovers. And Newsnight rated it number 1 once, above Ok Computer.

ReputationRep:
    Heres the potential list up on NME.com:

Have a looksey and discuss.

Bat For Lashes – 'Two Suns'
    Bombay Bicycle Club – 'I Had the Blues But I Shook Them Loose'
    Camera Obscura – 'My Maudlin Career'
    David Holmes – 'The Holy Pictures'
    Doves – 'Kingdom Of Rust'
    Florence And The Machine – 'Lungs'
    Friendly Fires – 'Friendly Fires'
    Gallows – 'Grey Britain'
    Glasvegas – 'Glasvegas'
    Graham Coxon – 'The Spinning Top'
    Jack Penate – 'Everything Is New'
    James Yorkston – 'When The Haar Rolls In'
    Jarvis Cocker – '"Further Complications"'
    Kasabian – 'West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum'
    La Roux – 'La Roux'
    Late Of The Pier – 'Fantasy Black Channel'
    Lily Allen – 'It's Not Me, It's You'
    Little Boots – 'Hands'
    Manic Street Preachers – 'Journal for Plague Lovers'
    Maximo Park – 'Quicken The Heart'
    Micachu – 'Jewellery'
    Monkey – 'Journey To The West'
    Nitin Sawhney – 'London Undersound'
    Oasis – 'Dig Out Your Soul'
    Peter Doherty – 'Grace/Wastelands'
    Robert Mitchell 3iO - The Greater Good
    Roots Manuva – 'Slime And Reason'
    Stuart Murdoch – 'God Help the Girl'
    Take That – 'The Circus'
    The Horrors – 'Primary Colours'
    The Hours – 'See The Light'
    The Phantom Band – 'Checkmate Savage'
    The Week That Was – 'The Week That Was'
    White Lies – 'To Lose My Life…'
    Wiley – 'Grime Wave'

ReputationRep:
    Journal for Plague Lovers deserves it for the great story behind it, as well as the great music.
    But Kingdom of Rust is also good, and I think it might win.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=natty_d]Heres the potential list up on NME.com:

Have a looksey and discuss.
    QUOTE]

'Tis a decent list, though hardly the most likely 35. I'd add: Grammtics, Golden Silvers, Danananakroyd, VV Brown, Noah and the Whale, Polly Scattergood, Patrick Wolf, Sky Larkin as well as the others I mentioned originally. Kasabian? :facepalm:

I like the way my comment made them correct Yorkston's album title

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJeebs)
    If the Horrors are on it, that will be disgusting.
    Why? They used to be dire but have improved significantly with this album.

ReputationRep:
    They're still horrid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    You should, especially Yes, Faster and Die in the Summertime.

The Holy Bible is probably a bit better than Journal for Plague Lovers. And Newsnight rated it number 1 once, above Ok Computer.
    Mentioning The Holy Bible without mentioning 4st 7lb is sinful.

But yeah, Faster probably my favourite Manics song. Actually, joint with Love's Sweet Exile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJeebs)
    Mentioning The Holy Bible without mentioning 4st 7lb is sinful.

But yeah, Faster probably my favourite Manics song. Actually, joint with Love's Sweet Exile.
    Well it is hard to pick out just a few songs from The Holy Bible. I do really like 4st 7lb, but there's also Mausoleum, Revol, track no.2 (I don't want to type it out) etc.

I don't think there's a song on that album that I ever skip.

ReputationRep:
    Florence And The Machine – 'Lungs'
    Friendly Fires – 'Friendly Fires'
    Glasvegas – 'Glasvegas'
    Little Boots – 'Hands'

I'm happy if there are there.

ReputationRep:
    Little boots - Hands.

Saw her live and there wasn't a single song that she played that wasn't enjoyable. Not many artists can say that.

ReputationRep:
    But yeah, Manics, Doves or Kasabian would be my choices. Won't happen though, as Mercury is usually a tiny bit of a farce.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.