ReputationRep:
    FPS: Fallout 3 + it's 4 expansions
    RTS: Halo wars
    RPG + RTS: Bloodbowl

(Suggestions from my other half)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Missmeem)
    Black and White 2, it's awesome.
    Slightly older games like Age of Empires/Mythology.
    Bloodrayne is oldish but still really good.

*thinks of more*...

Edit: Oh and Oblivion!, the Elder Scrolls series is great.
    Missmeem speaks the truth (and is very pretty and lives in Gibraltar which is so cool) - youre the only other person ive ever seen say that theyve played age of mythology.

and try Battlefield2 if you like team multiplayer.

Medieval Total War is good and Empire TW is too apparently if you like strategy.
    Team Fortress 2 for more multip;ayer fun is good apparently. (note i say apparently though as my aged pc cant handle anything newer than oblivion)

ReputationRep:
    Any other FPS games with really nice graphics? I don't like the COD or Battlefield series tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt^)
    Missmeem speaks the truth (and is very pretty and lives in Gibraltar which is so cool) - youre the only other person ive ever seen say that theyve played age of mythology.
    Why, thank you for the compliments. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lnjames)
    Right I've decided that I'll get a load of new games that I haven't played yet for when I get my new laptop. I'm mostly interested in FPS, RPG and RTS games.

FPS: Crysis, Half Life 2
    RPG: Titan Quest (is this any good?)
    RTS: Battle for Middle Earth 2

Free rep or handjob for the best posts.
    FPS: Your going to want COD 4 for that.

But ARMA 2 or ARMA are really good games but a tad on the realistic side. Cod 4 if you like more arcadey gameplay.

RPG: Probably World of warcraft or Warhammer universe at war (I think) I personally don't like these games, but you could look at COD 4 as having role playing elements.

RTS: World in conflict is a really good game and has amazing graphics. The Arma games have good strategic elements too.

Hope that helps.

EDIT : The ARMA games have amazing graphics - just check youtube.

ReputationRep:
    i would hold off on getting ARMA2 just yet as apparently is incredibly buggy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ricky116)
    FPS: Half Life 2 (and orange box). Which would include my next suggestion - Counter Strike Source. If Mafia is an FPS then Mafia. Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Red Orchestra, Unreal Tournement 2004 is cheap and brilliant.

FPS/RPG: Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl, Deus Ex, Oblivion (or even better Morrowind)

RPG: Neverwinter Nights (First>Second). All the classics are generally best: Diablo 2, Baulder's Gate 2, Icewind Dale etc.

RTS: Company of Heroes, Warhammer: Dawn of War, Medieval 2: Total War (only one I havent played is Empire). Warcraft 3

ummmmmmmmmmmm
    This.

ReputationRep:
    FPS' i'd recommend Bioshock, despite its several nods to the ZOMFG amazing System Shock 2 it's a quality game. Deus Ex is essential as well.

Oh and Stalker, immersive bliss

ReputationRep:
    Don't listen to anything anyone says.

The game you want is Team Fortress 2.

It is an online shooter, with cartoony graphics and a heavy emphasis on teamwork. Give a couple of days, and trust me, you'll be addicted.

Look it up on the net, find some trailers/videos, it's a great game.

ReputationRep:
    Any other FPS games with really nice graphics? I don't like the COD or Battlefield series tbh.
    Graphics don't make a good FPS (although now-a-days, developers seem to think that's the only thing that makes one), as chaywa said, try System Shock, Deus Ex and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

If you can look past the out-dated graphics of games and more at the gameplay and story, you'll be an alot better person.

ReputationRep:
    Titanquest is pretty good : >

Bioshock?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dodgyant)
    Don't listen to anything anyone says.

The game you want is Team Fortress 2.

It is an online shooter, with cartoony graphics and a heavy emphasis on teamwork. Give a couple of days, and trust me, you'll be addicted.

Look it up on the net, find some trailers/videos, it's a great game.

Yeah, just get 'The Orange Box, OP! It's full of win. *shoots himself for saying that last line*

ReputationRep:
    If you want an RPG, I quite enjoyed Pool of Radiance, Ruins of Myth Drannor, right up until the end where it starts crashing every 10 seconds.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone think of anymore open world FPS games like Crysis and Far Cry?

ReputationRep:
    Oblivion will consume you. Actually, let's go for it'll take your soul (and stuff it in a gem).

Try taking a few of the Half Life 2 mods under your wing. Because it's so moddable, you do really get some good stuff from independent teams, with good variation.

The Football Manager series is a must if you've even got a shred of the football pundit about you.

You wouldn't really go wrong with an Age of Empires or a Total War, but they're both games that'll test your patience at times. Rise of Nations is another solid choice to put in there.

I'm a firm believer in some games being suited to the PC and others to the console. I'd implore you to get Counter Strike: Source as it's a fantastic game with infinite playtime, but I'd stick to the console with games such as GTA.

I've also heard good things about Spore, if you're into a strategy-come-everything-else slant.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone think of anymore open world FPS games like Crysis and Far Cry?
    Crysis is not open world.

ReputationRep:
    FPS: Crysis Warhead
    RPG: Fallout 3
    RTS: Hearts of Iron 2

ReputationRep:
    Right I've decided that I'll get a load of new games that I haven't played yet for when I get my new laptop. I'm mostly interested in FPS, RPG and RTS games.

FPS: Crysis, Half Life 2
    RPG: Titan Quest (is this any good?)
    RTS: Battle for Middle Earth 2

Free rep or handjob for the best posts.
    HL2 niceee it's an AMAZING game (Gravity Gun ftw!)
    Valve also made a multiplayer-only game Team Fortress 2 which has similar controls and such if you get into HL2... it's worth looking into but it's really a love it or hate it kind of game

Black and White 2 is excellent if your comp can handle it (shouldn't be a problem but my hunk of crap couldn't lol)

Edit: Yeah actually what a previous poster said just get The Orange Box it will rape any normal social life you have :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    Crysis is not open world.
    Do you keep searching for my posts or something just so you can tell me I'm wrong about everything? I think if I said Crysis is open world and FEAR isn't, people would understand what I mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt^)
    i would hold off on getting ARMA2 just yet as apparently is incredibly buggy.
    It's not just buggy, it's flat out broken.

As for other games, it's Summer so it's pretty damn stale at the moment.

FPS: Team Fortress 2 and Day of Defeat Source
    RTS: Just came out, Anno 1404. It's addictive and a lot of fun.

Other than that, if you find it, try Uplink.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.