Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by noggins)
    Yeah, just get 'The Orange Box, OP! It's full of win. *shoots himself for saying that last line*
    Wow i actually listened to the whole video in your sig its surprisingly good.

ReputationRep:
    FPS: Dead Space.
    RPG: World of Warcraft (Seriously, give it a go).
    RTS: Got to stick the Age of Empires series.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lnjames)
    Do you keep searching for my posts or something just so you can tell me I'm wrong about everything? I think if I said Crysis is open world and FEAR isn't, people would understand what I mean.
    Err, no :s. I was just thinking that if you thought of Crysis as open world, then that pretty much allows me to name any other FPS there is. Just because the action is in a jungle rather than in corridors, it doesn't mean that Crysis is any less linear, or more "open world" than FEAR.

Regardless, the answer is mostly "no". Prototype and GTA4 are both fantastic open world games with shooter elements, but not first person titles such as you're looking for. Fallout 3 is great, but not a typical FPS. Far Cry 2 is pretty unique in this respect.

(Original post by Swi1ch)
    Other than that, if you find it, try Uplink.
    http://store.introversion.co.uk
    Besides, Darwinia is better :p:

My money of the best games:

FPS: Orange Box (TEE EFF TWO!), Bioshock, CS, Dead Space (third person)
    RPG: The Witcher, Fallout 3(obv. also an FPS), KOTOR, NWN.
    RTS: Company of Heroes, Red Alert 3, World in Conflict, Empire: TW.

ReputationRep:
    FPS: Neotokyo HL2 mod (assuming you have a copy of HL2 on Steam)

RPG: Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines (made by the same guys who did Fallout)

RTS: Age of Empires. Heroes of Might & Magic III Complete is the best strategy I've played though.

ReputationRep:
    GTA4 and GRID

ReputationRep:
    I'm downloading Lost Coast now, I'll see if I like it.

ReputationRep:
    RTS: Dawn of War II - just bought it myself for only £9.99 (in a sale) from play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt^)
    RTS: Dawn of War II - just bought it myself for only £9.99 (in a sale) from play
    Is it resource intensive? I'll be using a good dual core, 4gb memory, and a HD3470 hybrid crossfire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    http://store.introversion.co.uk
    Besides, Darwinia is better :p:

My money of the best games:

FPS: Orange Box (TEE EFF TWO!), Bioshock, CS, Dead Space (third person)
    RPG: The Witcher, Fallout 3(obv. also an FPS), KOTOR, NWN.
    RTS: Company of Heroes, Red Alert 3, World in Conflict, Empire: TW.
    Have you tried onlink? It's a full conversion mod for uplink with TONNES more stuff in it.

Plus, has Empire fixed the damn bug with AI not being able to board ships yet?

Is it resource intensive? I'll be using a good dual core, 4gb memory, and a HD3470 hybrid crossfire.
    It's pretty heavy at times, your machine should probably be ok although with that graphics card you might need to knock the settings down a tad.

ReputationRep:
    GET THE ELDER SCROLLS 3: MORROWIND!!!!!!! It's the best RPG I've ever played(if not the best game! Though it might not beat the Marathon series) and while the graphics may be slightly outdated(though this can be helped a lot with graphical mods) it's so much damn fun. You can easily play it for 100-200 hours so it'll last you a LONG time.

ReputationRep:
    you'll be absolutely fine

ReputationRep:
    How different is Dawn of War 2 from the first? Also after playing Lost Coast I'm thoroughly unimpressed. I think I might just get Crysis since I really like that, or maybe Far Cry 2.

ReputationRep:
    How different is Dawn of War 2 from the first? Also after playing Lost Coast I'm thoroughly unimpressed. I think I might just get Crysis since I really like that, or maybe Far Cry 2.
    Lost Coast is a tech demo essentially. Don't base anything on it.

Dow2 has no base building. In single player you have several sergeants who lead different squads (Tactical, Scout, Assault, Devies) and you find and unlock equipment for them.

Crysis gets boring fast, it's kinda repetitive. Also Far Cry 2 might grate on you a bit if you play it for than an hour or so at a time.

ReputationRep:
    Dow2 has no base building. In single player you have several sergeants who lead different squads (Tactical, Scout, Assault, Devies) and you find and unlock equipment for them.
    Think I might get the first then, only £2 and I liked the base building in it.

ReputationRep:
    Crysis on a laptop :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Think I might get the first then, only £2 and I liked the base building in it.
    For 2 quid that's decent, but don't knock DoW2. I had a blast playing that and actually having troops with faces and personalities was more engaging than mindless drones.

ReputationRep:
    Company Of Heroes.

ReputationRep:
    For 2 quid that's decent, but don't knock DoW2. I had a blast playing that and actually having troops with faces and personalities was more engaging than mindless drones.
    How does skirmish and multiplayer work? Do you select troops beforehand or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james_dow)
    Company Of Heroes.
    Been playing this game for 3 years, and finally got bored of it. Building new pc this week so I can play ARMA2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex000)
    Been playing this game for 3 years, and finally got bored of it. Building new pc this week so I can play ARMA2

hasnt that got alot of bugs though, im waiting it out till its all fixed looks bloody fantastic graphics wise though.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.