Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can I get my girlfriend to lose weight? Watch

(Original post by ~Amy-Eliza~)
    I put on nearly a stone and my boyfriend didn't notice!
    That's unlikely, really, he's probably just too kind to mention it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wellisntitfor)
    lulwut? :awesome:
    Bit of an exaggeration, but the point is, your partner shouldn't let you screw up just because he/she loves you 'as you are'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    well? shes put on a few pounds and I'm not sure I want to go out with her any more.
    If you don't want to go out with her because she's put on a few pounds then you're a shallow ******* and deserve to be shot.

ReputationRep:
    I put on 4lbs just by eating dinner.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Eva2)
    If you don't want to go out with her because she's put on a few pounds then you're a shallow ******* and deserve to be shot.
    Whilst the TC is being a bit of an idiot considering dumping her we have to also look at his gf just because your in a relationship doesnt mean you just turn off and dont tend to your physical appearance anymore, if shes put on some pounds then he needs to talk to her about and try get her to do some running or anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    Whilst the TC is being a bit of an idiot considering dumping her we have to also look at his gf just because your in a relationship doesnt mean you just turn off and dont tend to your physical appearance anymore, if shes put on some pounds then he needs to talk to her about and try get her to do some running or anything.
    Or maybe- just maybe- it's up to her what she does with her body and her boyfriend has no right to interfere! If he really is that shallow then the girl should dump him and look for someone who deserves her.

ReputationRep:
    I wont go into all the issues and u should dump her etc etc...
    If she tends to drink alot of alcohol (particulary if just started uni,) then it contains a fair amount of fat. Offer to but her vodka and (DIET) coke or other slimmer drinks. Beer/lager/cider etc = calorific.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Eva2)
    Or maybe- just maybe- it's up to her what she does with her body and her boyfriend has no right to interfere! If he really is that shallow then the girl should dump him and look for someone who deserves her.
    Its totally upto her whether she wants to change her body but then again she should want to look her best to make her BF happy, if this was your bf would you say 'F that im not changing, its totally upto me' or 'ok i dont mind losing a few pounds if that'll make you happy' ?

ReputationRep:
    But when you're in a relationship you can't just think about yourself, it's about the both of you. If you decide to change the way you look, than you can't expect your bf to still be attracted to you. Anyone that thinks that relationships are just based on personalities and not physical attraction is living in a dream world!!! You could reverse the argument and say that if she loves him enough, she'll lose the weight for him... As that's the way he knew her when he first met her!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johan C)
    Bit of an exaggeration, but the point is, your partner shouldn't let you screw up just because he/she loves you 'as you are'.
    Nah I was just lolzing at the idea of an "acid habit". In general, and also in its use as [some bad thing].

(Original post by sunyellowshine)
    I wont go into all the issues and u should dump her etc etc...
    If she tends to drink alot of alcohol (particulary if just started uni,) then it contains a fair amount of fat. Offer to but her vodka and (DIET) coke or other slimmer drinks. Beer/lager/cider etc = calorific.
    Alcohol doesn't contain fat, it does however contain lots of calories which are then stored as fat if they are not used up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4_sophia)
    But when you're in a relationship you can't just think about yourself, it's about the both of you. If you decide to change the way you look, than you can't expect your bf to still be attracted to you. Anyone that thinks that relationships are just based on personalities and not physical attraction is living in a dream world!!! You could reverse the argument and say that if she loves him enough, she'll lose the weight for him... As that's the way he knew her when he first met her!
    When it comes to how you look physically, I think it's pretty much the individual's responsibility, not the partner. Besides, has it occured to you that maybe she can't help but put on a few pounds, for some reason? I mean, I've put on weight because I've got an addiction, should my boyfriend (supposing I have one) dump me because of that?
    Nevertheless, if she feels overweight with any luck she'll be sensible enough to do something about it. But that's for her own sake, not for her stupid boyfriend's sake.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing worse than your girl getting too comfortable and letting herself go lmfao. Sucks to be you.
    Tell her to sort it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Low Key)
    Either this is a troll, or the best thread evar.
    i think its troll, to try to p*ss girls off!

ReputationRep:
    When it comes to how you look physically, I think it's pretty much the individual's responsibility, not the partner. Besides, has it occured to you that maybe she can't help but put on a few pounds, for some reason? I mean, I've put on weight because I've got an addiction, should my boyfriend (supposing I have one) dump me because of that?
    Nevertheless, if she feels overweight with any luck she'll be sensible enough to do something about it. But that's for her own sake, not for her stupid boyfriend's sake
    Yea i agree she should do it for herself but she can't expect her bf to still be attracted to her and should accept the consequences (whatever they are)! Oh and I don't know what your addiction is, but I'd be more worried about your addiction than you gaining a few pounds...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    well? shes put on a few pounds and I'm not sure I want to go out with her any more.
    If she's still slim, then you're being totally unreasonable.
    Though I would say this - my boyfriend recently told me that one of the problems in our relationship is that I'm not as slim as I was when we got together (21 months ago, just turned 19). I still fit into size 8s and 10s. This came from the person who supposedly loved me and was never supposed to hurt me. I can't help but hate him right now, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4_sophia)
    Yea i agree she should do it for herself but she can't expect her bf to still be attracted to her and should accept the consequences (whatever they are)! Oh and I don't know what your addiction is, but I'd be more worried about your addiction than you gaining a few pounds...
    This is the main thing. If he truly loved her, he would do his best to support her and make sure her self-esteem doesn't go down the drain. Since the boyfriend isn't doing either of those things, it's quite clear to me that he doesn't love her and that she should go with someone more worthy of her. Looks may play and important part, but they shouldn't form the basis of important decisions, such as breaking up with someone or not.

ReputationRep:
    If you really cared about her it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference...

ReputationRep:
    This is the main thing. If he truly loved her, he would do his best to support her and make sure her self-esteem doesn't go down the drain. Since the boyfriend isn't doing either of those things, it's quite clear to me that he doesn't love her and that she should go with someone more worthy of her. Looks may play and important part, but they shouldn't form the basis of important decisions, such as breaking up with someone or not.
    I'm not saying he should slate her to everyone and leave her with no confidence. I just think if he can't accept her gaining weight he's better being brutally honest and just coming out with it and then if they break up that's up to them! TBH I'm just going on what I would want, I'd want someone to tell me if I'd put on weight and I'd be upset to start off with, but I'd appreciate them telling me after! If that makes sense!

ReputationRep:
    Just say you big fat fatty stop eating fatster and get running or I'll start poking your skinny sister and make you watch so you realise what a horrible fatty you are.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.