Turn on thread page Beta

How can I get my girlfriend to lose weight? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lrilol)
    This would make her better than him how? : O
    I didn't say it would.

ReputationRep:
    A few pounds? That's not that much. Unelss she is really overweight and you are worried for her health then I recommend you don't try to make her lose weight. It should be her own decision and girls can be very sensitive to people commenting on their weight. Learn to love her whatever her weight or end it with her now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haz220807)
    I didn't say it would.
    Fair enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nouvelle_vague)
    he's not a **** like the male population of TSR
    Yeah, nice one. We'll leave it at that shall we

ReputationRep:
    Incredible thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    Why not?
    Because why would you want to hurt someone you care about?

(Original post by Smtn)
    Caring about appearance is shallow and immature? Let me guess, you don't bother with hair cuts, nice clothes and makeup then?
    No, I said caring about putting on a bit of weight gain is shallow and immature. Don't make assumptions, I happen to find myself quite pretty (don't care what you happen to think to be honest) and I always wear damned nice clothes and my hair/make up is always done with the upmost care. How this has relevance to weight gain baffles me, but whatever.

(Original post by Smtn)
    Only idiots would want to be lied to rather than having the chance to improve, and OP didn't mention calling her fat.
    Of course I wouldn't want to be lied to, but like I've said many a times, being bothered by a little bit of weight gain is not a huge deal so why should there be any need for lies?

(Original post by Smtn)
    Why would it ruin a relationship?
    Nit picking at irrelevant problems tend to ruin relationships. They cause unneccessary arguments and if someone is nit picking at you then why the hell would you want to be with them?

(Original post by Smtn)
    That's nice, but entirely irrelevant. Incidentally, why don't you answer my previous question - would your boyfriend care if you put on 10 stone?
    I did. Nice...but entirely irrelevant

(Original post by Smtn)
    The sheer amount of fad diets and weight loss pills around tell a different story.
    Fair enough some women feed in to them, but not all of them. Stop generalising.

[/QUOTE]

ReputationRep:
    Dump her and get a thin girl. Then legally change your surname to 'Mysogyny'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halfoflessthan50p)
    I think when the OP used the phrase "a few pounds" he meant it in the colloquial, turn of phrase kind of way - not literally 1-2 pounds. Because as you say that wouldnt really have any visible effect.

And the OP never mentioned the contraceptive pill being involved. I dont know where you got that from.

An unfortunate fact of nature is that all people (maybe men more than women) have little or no conscious control over what they find physically attractive. If you put on an extra 2-3 stone your boyfriend would find you less physically attractive. sorry to be blunt. Im sure he would still stand by your side and love you but he wouldnt be able to help his animal instincts and it might affect your sex life. I'd hope that in that situation you would have the maturity and self-awareness to just cut down on what you were eating a bit because you love him and you think he deserves a beautiful girlfriend.

I agree with everything you said about the whole FHM culture etc but in the real world attraction/sex is a big part of any relationship. And if the OP finds his gf less attractive that's not a conscious decision hes made; its just an unfortunate side effect of having a penis.
    Yeah, I know he didn't mean 1/2 pounds but even a little bit of weight gain isn't a huge problem.

The OP didn't really mention anything to be honest, so a lot of us have been making assumptions as to why his girlfriend may have put on weight. Where as a lot of the males have been saying its her fault and she just eats and eats, the women seem to be bringing logic into it and it's a fact that depending on what type of pill you're on, you will put on weight and it will fluctuate too.

Personally, if I put on 2-3 stone, I'd know about it and I'd be making efforts to lose weight so I felt better about myself, rather than what my boyfriend thought of me. Of course I care what he thinks about me, but I care more about if he finds me intelligent or funny or thinks I have a nice smile and pretty eyes rather than what he thinks about the size of my arse. Just as I'm sure he'd not really give a **** what I'd think about him if he had man boobs; he'd make changes so HE felt better about himself rather than what I thought - which is IMO, the best way to be, regardless of relationship status.

I think what a lot of men in this thread are lacking is the notion that women can actually have their own say in a relationship. Its infuriating but the downfall of man often is -.-

ReputationRep:
    Just be honest, its the best way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    well? shes put on a few pounds and I'm not sure I want to go out with her any more.
    write something to her in alphabet soup, it helps to soften the blow.

or, probably suggested somewhere, offer to work out alongside her, thats what lots of couples do.

ReputationRep:
    get a skinnier girlfriend if it's that big an issue, she shouldn't have to lose the pounds because you're a shallow *******. and lol at the throw the jew down the well above.. love borat!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttx)
    It does if it causes the relationship to deteriorate. If the OP doesn't find his GF attractive any more than that is a problem for their relationship.

I'm not going to be judgemental about the OP, I assume he knows it shouldn't matter if she's gained a little weight. Do you think he chooses to be less attracted to her ?

Like any other problem in a relationship, he should speak to his partner. It's a problem and it needs to be solved, and that doesn't necessarily mean by his girlfriend losing weight. It could be as simple as talking with his girlfriend helping him to realize he's attracted to her anyway. There are a million different ways the problem could be resolved.

But living in denial and ignoring the problem isn't one of them.
    If the relationship deteriorates over a few pounds weight gain then it's not really a relationship, is it? If the OP doesn't find his girlfriend attractive anymore for that reason then it is his problem rather than hers and if he chooses to talk to her about it, he should mention the fact that he's emotionally and mentally stunted and can't see past his views that women should all be photoshopped before leaving the house, rather than making it out to be her problem.

Of course he doesnt choose to be less attractedto her, but generally, with maturity, trivial things such as his girlfriend no longer being a size eight, but a size ten (or whatever size she is/was) tend not to matter anymore. Personally I don't think they should in the first place, but like I said, emotionally stunted :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    How about just dumping her then? She shouldn't have to change for you - it's you with the issue.

:ditto:

ReputationRep:
    http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/i...yDJC/fatty.jpg

Sorted.

Anon or delete

(Original post by ~Amy-Eliza~)
    It was over a year, during my first year at uni (fresher's weight)
    I went from 9 and a half stone to 10 and a half stone,
    I've lost half a stone already, trying to lose the other half (extra weight doesn't suit me at all).
    Even if he had noticed though, I'm glad he hasn't said anything, because it means I'm losing the weight for me, and not for him.
    Looked at your picture in your profile, and you don't look fat or anything. You look nice.
    My girlfriend gained a bit of weight and the thing is I didn't mind at all (didn't even notice it till she mentioned it) I may start to mind if she continued to gain more weight but I don't think she will.
    My advice to you OP is there is 99.99% chance your girlfriend has noticed the extra weight, don't say anything you'll just hurt her feelings and just make her self-esteem go down. This is what I recommend, you saying to your girlfriend that you want to be a bit more healthy and are going to run 30 minutes everyday and ask her to join you because you'll be bored by yourself and that you can spend a bit more time together.
    To the people who told the OP to leave his girlfriend: What do you think will happen to the OPs girlfriends self-esteem is she found out that he left due to her gaining weight?

ReputationRep:
    she might have put on weight cos she's bored? bored of you? bored of life? just plain lazy? just be with her more and she will probs eat less and you will have sex more so she will burn more cals. buuutt at the end of the day whether u like it or not girls usually put on weight through their life, just like guys, but for girls its more acceptable cos of baby weight and shiz. so best to just accept it now and u will be happier in the future.

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm:
    Dump her if you can't appreciate a little bit of fat.

.TOIDI GNIKCUF

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nouvelle_vague)
    If you want a girlfriend who keeps herself in a constant state of excellent shapedness then go to the gym and pick up one of the girls from there, because real women don't slave away at their figure constantly in order to impress men, nor should we have to; we are attractive in our own right, no matter how wobbly our tummies are and you shoudl respect that. Just as we respect the fact that you males are all hairy and that your *** sometimes tastes weird and that you fart in bed and stuff like that.
    Why would you assume that women at the gym with good figures 'slave away to impress men'? Many people make an effort to stay in shape because they want to look their best and be healthy. How is someone who is out of shape more of a 'real woman'?

ReputationRep:
    or alternatively, try and find the beauty in the few extra pounds, how she'll feel all soft and squishy, warm and cuddly!

ReputationRep:
    She's probably noticed... and she probably doesn't like it either, but I can tell you this probably won't go down well if you just blurt out that you think she's fat!

Suggest going to the gym together or maybe make her a healthy meal, tell her you are cutting back on junk food because it makes you gain weight and you prefer being slimmer.
    Maybe she will catch on.

Or just be honest but as nice as you can about it... say you love her and you think she's beautiful but you think she is even more beautiful before she gains weight.

But be warned, it could end badly :-)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.