Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I have a group interview later this week for catering assistant and im quite nervous. So can anyone tell me what its like and what sort of stuff they ask and also where abouts do i go. Any tips would be really good. Thanks .

ReputationRep:
    well iv had one and now i work there but i dont work it catering so it may be different :s

ReputationRep:
    *in

ReputationRep:
    I went for one two years ago (got a job but quit after 3 months lol). When we first went in we had to sit in a line with the managers opposite, and had to introduce ourselves and say why we wanted a job there (prepare yourself for everyone to say "John Lewis is such a FABULOUS company and my family have worked here for generations" etc). Then they asked us some questions like what we expected from a sales assistant.

Afterwards they split us into two groups and gave us some tasks to do whilst they observed and made notes; and one person had to report back on each task to the other group. Get involved as much as you can in this becasue it will make you stand out and get noticed by the managers as a good team-player etc.

Then we were taken in twos and threes to different departments (where we'd be working if we were offered a job) to look around, and then taken back. Half the group were then sent home, and the rest of us had individual interviews with the manager of the department we'd just seen. All this took around 2.5 hours I think.

You should find out pretty soon if you've got a job (I was phoned by them 2 days after and started work 2 days after that), but it seemed that most people who got an interview were given a job so if you get to that stage I'd say you're pretty safe. Obviosuly for a catering assistant the format may be different, but just smile at everyone (a LOT), try and appear confident and friendly, and get involved in your group work. Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *glitter*)
    I went for one two years ago (got a job but quit after 3 months lol). When we first went in we had to sit in a line with the managers opposite, and had to introduce ourselves and say why we wanted a job there (prepare yourself for everyone to say "John Lewis is such a FABULOUS company and my family have worked here for generations" etc). Then they asked us some questions like what we expected from a sales assistant.

Afterwards they split us into two groups and gave us some tasks to do whilst they observed and made notes; and one person had to report back on each task to the other group. Get involved as much as you can in this becasue it will make you stand out and get noticed by the managers as a good team-player etc.

Then we were taken in twos and threes to different departments (where we'd be working if we were offered a job) to look around, and then taken back. Half the group were then sent home, and the rest of us had individual interviews with the manager of the department we'd just seen. All this took around 2.5 hours I think.

You should find out pretty soon if you've got a job (I was phoned by them 2 days after and started work 2 days after that), but it seemed that most people who got an interview were given a job so if you get to that stage I'd say you're pretty safe. Obviosuly for a catering assistant the format may be different, but just smile at everyone (a LOT), try and appear confident and friendly, and get involved in your group work. Good luck!!

Wow. Thanks for that. It sounds pretty scary to me. What job did you apply for ? and where abouts do you go before the interview ? and what did people say to introduce themselves? because i dont have a clue. Also how many people where at your interview. Sorry for the all the questions but i really appreciate it. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I've done one before, sadly I wasn't successful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *glitter*)

yeah, pretty much this.. longtingz

ReputationRep:
    what kind of tasks were u given to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexi_t)
    Wow. Thanks for that. It sounds pretty scary to me. What job did you apply for ? and where abouts do you go before the interview ? and what did people say to introduce themselves? because i dont have a clue. Also how many people where at your interview. Sorry for the all the questions but i really appreciate it. Thanks
    I applied for just a general sales assistant job and got put in the department with blinds/paint/wallpaper, where I knew nothing about the products so was no help to any customer and got very little help from the other staff, leaving me feeling stupid all the time (part of the reason why I left so quick). Umm, before the group interview stuff we had to wait in the "Partner's Entrance" and signed in at the desk to get a lovely sticker with our name on, and there were about 15 or 16 of us I think. Don't worry too much about inrtoducing yourself because everyone will say pretty much the same thing, just try and say something about why you applied to JL or why you want a job - they seemed to like it when people said things about JL being a "partnership" (so employees get a share in the profits and are called "partners" not "staff"). Sorry if this is too late if you've already had your interview this week!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.