Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My dad won't "send" me to study in the UK Watch

I'm actually so depressed right now. My dad blunty told me that if I don't get into to a good university in the UK he won't be paying for my tution, accomodation, living costs as living in the UK is more expensive than living in my home country.

What he means by a good uni is a uni with required grades equal to or higher than AAB. So that means universisites like Imperial, LSE, Warwick, Bath, Bristol. Even then the uni has to be reputable. So its bound to be highly competitive. I haven't got any back ups in my ucas form.
    I can't take a loan or anything and haven't got any money saved because it isn't legal to work here for remuneration under the age of 18.

I'm so envious of you guys who are able to go to unis like Hull and Reading and able to actually enjoy the place they're staying at and the learning environment. My dad doesn't understand its more about what you get from the course itself.
    I really wanted to go to the UK and all of my friends are even though I'm on the same level as them academically wise. It just seems old fashioned "I'm not sending you to the UK to study" I really wanted to go.

ReputationRep:
    Where are you from? And you can always try and explain the situation from your point of view to him, but at the end of the day it's his money and he can choose how to invest it. If he thinks a degree at one of the lesser uni's isn't a sufficient return then you have to accept that.

ReputationRep:
    Is there no way you can get through to your dad and explain that the reputation of the uni isn't as important as the quality of the degree itself?

If that doesn't work you're going to have to try your hardest to get an offer from an "acceptable" uni.

ReputationRep:
    Could you just say "yeah i'm going to cambridge" then go to hull or what ever

ReputationRep:
    His money, his choice to give it to you or not. Whilst reputation isn't everything, it still counts for a lot, particularly abroad. A degree from Edge Hill uni for example would probably mean jack **** to an employer in Italy. Get a Russell Group uni on there though, and they will be impressed.

A way around this would be to get a loan so you can pay yourself, though i realise that would be very costly.

ReputationRep:
    Where do you want to go? Is it that you don't want to goto these places or is it something else?

If cost is a big issue then think about studying in Scotland as it's cheaper and you should still be able to complete your chosen degree in three years like in the rest of the UK.

(Original post by Zedd)
    Where do you want to go? Is it that you don't want to goto these places or is it something else?

If cost is a big issue then think about studying in Scotland as it's cheaper and you should still be able to complete your chosen degree in three years like in the rest of the UK.
    The thing is I would like to go to Warwick or LSE but my chances of getting in are extremely low. I know that the chances of me attaining the required grades are low.

If I don't get into a 'good' uni, then I'm off to study in Canada :sigh: Its much cheaper there. He basically isn't allowing me to put any back up unis on my ucas form and is deciding all my unis for me based on the required gentry grades.
    He also assumes I'm getting 4 As for AS.

ReputationRep:
    Lmao say you're going to Oxford, but go to Oxford Brookes. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    The thing is I would like to go to Warwick or LSE but my chances of getting in are extremely low. I know that the chances of me attaining the required grades are low.

If I don't get into a 'good' uni, then I'm off to study in Canada :sigh: Its much cheaper there. He basically isn't allowing me to put any back up unis on my ucas form and is deciding all my unis for me based on the required gentry grades.
    He also assumes I'm getting 4 As for AS.
    Won't be so much of a big deal for LSE, as in intertional student. Proove that daddy can afford it and write an excellent PS and you're pretty much in
    Then work hard next year to make the AAB/AAA or w.e. they require (lots of people mess up AS, it's no big deal).
    Hope that helps.

(Original post by Pickford)
    Could you just say "yeah i'm going to cambridge" then go to hull or what ever
    I wish I could but he understands ucas and everything. My brother is at Cambridge :o:

ReputationRep:
    Do you not get some kind of report card from your teachers so you could show him your predicted grades? Or ask very nicely for one of your teachers to call him and explain the grades you're likely to get?
    Try and come to a compromise...ask him to let you have just one uni that's asking for ABB for example?

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why this is weird. If I were a parent I wouldn't want to pay thousands of pounds to send my child to a university that's not one of the best. Why would I pay ? So that my child can party all day ? If you really want to go to the UK, then work your ass out and get the grades to go to a good uni. Simple enough.

what country are you from btw ?

(Original post by Xristina)
    I don't understand why this is weird. If I were a parent I wouldn't want to pay thousands of pounds to send my child to a university that's not one of the best. Why would I pay ? So that my child can party all day ? If you really want to go to the UK, then work your ass out and get the grades to go to a good uni. Simple enough.
    I just think its not fair. UK universities are at a higher standard than the ones over here. Like all of them. Won't I still be employable will a first class with unis like Manchester?

It's just the comment he made seemed so old fashioned, like I'm an investment or something.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you research specific courses within the universities you're actually considering and let him read up on them? Show him that a fancy name doesn't mean everything - the more modest universities have programs that are equally good (if not better for some cases).

I kind of have the same problem. My sister is at Yale and my parents really want me to go to an Ivy in the U.S. or a really good (Cambridge/LSE/Warwick) school in the UK. But I actually sat them down and explained to them that some of the things I want to study are better in some of the smaller universities, and that it's completely unreasonable to expect your child to get into all of these schools. I mean, my sister didn't PLAN on getting Yale and Oxford - she just kind of applied so she wouldn't miss the opportunity.

Either way, show him a detailed course description of something you would like to study. It's better than just throwing suggestions around. That way he'll actually take you seriously.

ReputationRep:
    I just think its not fair. UK universities are at a higher standard than the ones over here. Like all of them. Won't I still be employable will a first class with unis like Manchester?

It's just the comment he made seemed so old fashioned, like I'm an investment or something.

are you sure there are NO decent unis at your country ? I understand your problem because my country's unis are not the best either. However I still think it's selfish to ask from my father to pay 3 years for me if I can't prove that I can work hard and that his money will be used properly. I think that he just wants the best from you. It can be annoying, but you shouldn't blame him, it's after all his money.
    Out of curiosity, which country are you from ?

ReputationRep:

Then pay for it yourself, like the majority of us. Or stop whining when he expects quality for his money.

ReputationRep:
    to be honest if I wasn't capable of getting into a top 20 uni I wouldn't have bothered going to uni at all

better uses of 3 years, I don't think your Dad is being totally unreasonable given the cost of international fees, no point wasting money if it won't be a worthwhile investment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economic Historian 1)
    Then pay for it yourself, like the majority of us. Or stop whining when he expects quality for his money.
    the OP already explained that he cant work if he is under 18 in his country, and since he is not british he is not entitled to a full student loan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xristina)
    the OP already explained that he cant work if he is under 18 in his country, and since he is not british he is not entitled to a full student loan.
    But there are an unbelievable amount of scholarships available to foreign students, particularly to those from underrepresented countries. (s)he? can also work when the are at Uni here. Tbh her dad really has a point- it's not worth spending around £45k in tuition fees alone if it's hardly going to aid your prospects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economic Historian 1)
    But there are an unbelievable amount of scholarships available to foreign students, particularly to those from underrepresented countries. (s)he? can also work when the are at Uni here. Tbh her dad really has a point- it's not worth spending around £45k in tuition fees alone if it's hardly going to aid your prospects.
    I agree with you actually, I am just saying that it's not that easy to win a scholarship. And especially if the OP ( he or she :P ) is an international and not an EU student then as a parent I would only pay for the top 5 too.

Working is an option obviously, OP. Have you thought of that ?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.