Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My dad won't "send" me to study in the UK Watch

ReputationRep:
    Where are u from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    to be honest if I wasn't capable of getting into a top 20 uni I wouldn't have bothered going to uni at all

better uses of 3 years, I don't think your Dad is being totally unreasonable given the cost of international fees, no point wasting money if it won't be a worthwhile investment
    So are you telling me going to a uni which isn't ranked top 20, is a waste of time ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King4eva)
    So are you telling me going to a uni which isn't ranked top 20, is a waste of time ?
    Don't worry about it, quite a few people on TSR think that. I think it's absolutely fine to go to a lower ranked university if it will still help you and you'll enjoy it. Don't worry about what other people think. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King4eva)
    I wouldn't bother myself with anything outside of the Russel Group, there are better uses of 3 years of my life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm so envious of you guys who are able to go to unis like Hull and Reading and able to actually enjoy the place they're staying at and the learning environment. My dad doesn't understand its more about what you get from the course itself
    Huh?
    Just because someone goes to a top uni, does not mean that they don't enjoy the place. I have no idea where you get that thought from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apfel)
    Don't worry about it, quite a few people on TSR think that. I think it's absolutely fine to go to a lower ranked university if it will still help you and you'll enjoy it. Don't worry about what other people think. :yes:
    Lol I'm not worried, I was just shocked that someone who is probably smart, can make such a stupid comment

ReputationRep:
    To be honest i think your dad is being quite realistic. Why is he going to pay international fees as well as living costs if he doesn't think it will improve your future.

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually so depressed right now. My dad blunty told me that if I don't get into to a good university in the UK he won't be paying for my tution, accomodation, living costs as living in the UK is more expensive than living in my home country.

What he means by a good uni is a uni with required grades equal to or higher than AAB. So that means universisites like Imperial, LSE, Warwick, Bath, Bristol. Even then the uni has to be reputable. So its bound to be highly competitive. I haven't got any back ups in my ucas form.
    I can't take a loan or anything and haven't got any money saved because it isn't legal to work here for remuneration under the age of 18.

I'm so envious of you guys who are able to go to unis like Hull and Reading and able to actually enjoy the place they're staying at and the learning environment. My dad doesn't understand its more about what you get from the course itself.
    I really wanted to go to the UK and all of my friends are even though I'm on the same level as them academically wise. It just seems old fashioned "I'm not sending you to the UK to study" I really wanted to go.
    To be blunt, your father is probably correct in doing that. Studying in the UK is very expensive, even for home students (who pay 1/4-1/6 of the international fees and have access to loans). He believes that, to make the cost justifiable, you should go to a highly ranked university and it isn't an unreasonable view because of the high expenditure. In addition, if you are coming from abroad then the chances of you working abroad are much greater and you will probably require a highly ranked university on your C.V. to stand any chance with a company.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    I wouldn't bother myself with anything outside of the Russel Group, there are better uses of 3 years of my life
    Depends what you're going to do surely?
    Some unis might be way down at the bottom on the top 100 list but could be in the top couple for a certain course.

ReputationRep:
    Why is the OP refusing to say where they are from?

Oh that's right... troll.

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually so depressed right now. My dad blunty told me that if I don't get into to a good university in the UK he won't be paying for my tution, accomodation, living costs as living in the UK is more expensive than living in my home country.

What he means by a good uni is a uni with required grades equal to or higher than AAB. So that means universisites like Imperial, LSE, Warwick, Bath, Bristol. Even then the uni has to be reputable. So its bound to be highly competitive. I haven't got any back ups in my ucas form.
    I can't take a loan or anything and haven't got any money saved because it isn't legal to work here for remuneration under the age of 18.

I'm so envious of you guys who are able to go to unis like Hull and Reading and able to actually enjoy the place they're staying at and the learning environment. My dad doesn't understand its more about what you get from the course itself.
    I really wanted to go to the UK and all of my friends are even though I'm on the same level as them academically wise. It just seems old fashioned "I'm not sending you to the UK to study" I really wanted to go.
    Sounds fair enough

ReputationRep:
    Aww, :console: Talk to your dad about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    Top 20 for your subject, I agree. But Russell group? :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haz220807)
    Depends what you're going to do surely?
    Some unis might be way down at the bottom on the top 100 list but could be in the top couple for a certain course.
    (Original post by Smtn)
    Top 20 for your subject, I agree. But Russell group? :o:
    Ok perhaps top 20 for subject would be more prudent

The thing is though I'm gonna have nearly £30 K of debt when I come out of uni, unless I come out with an education that reflects that I don't think its worth it to be honest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lrilol)
    Why is the OP refusing to say where they are from?

Oh that's right... troll.
    If you bothered to read some of the OP's posts you would have seen that (s)he comes from Canada you loofah!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sango)
    If you bothered to read some of the OP's posts you would have seen that (s)he comes from Canada you loofah!

No they said they would be sent to go to uni in canada....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    Ok perhaps top 20 for subject would be more prudent

The thing is though I'm gonna have nearly £30 K of debt when I come out of uni, unless I come out with an education that reflects that I don't think its worth it to be honest
    That's fair enough. Obviously you want the best possible degree as you've spent time and money on it!

ReputationRep:
    The thing is I would like to go to Warwick or LSE but my chances of getting in are extremely low. I know that the chances of me attaining the required grades are low.

If I don't get into a 'good' uni, then I'm off to study in Canada :sigh: Its much cheaper there. He basically isn't allowing me to put any back up unis on my ucas form and is deciding all my unis for me based on the required gentry grades.
    He also assumes I'm getting 4 As for AS.
    I'd rather study in Canada than at Hull. I would really like to spend time in Canada. England isn't all that great, especially as a student. I suppose the grass is always greener.

Irish (not in UK of course) and Scottish unis like Trinity College Dublin, University College Dublin, Edinburgh and St Andrews all have good reputations, and are perfectly respectable. Plus I think internationally a University of London degree is good whether its from SOAS, QMUL, or Royal Holloway. Do you think you could get into one of those? Could you persuade him that those were respected enough?

ReputationRep:
    how bizarre to be jealous of people who have to live in hull and reading, at least choose a less competitive university in an ace area to be jealous of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lrilol)
    No they said they would be sent to go to uni in canada....
    And they pointed out the fact that they will be sent to a Uni that is at home. Therefore, one can say that s(he) lives in Canada.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.