Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My dad won't "send" me to study in the UK Watch

ReputationRep:
    AAB isn't incredibly hard to achieve if you work hard, afterall that's a lot of money your dad is willing to cover..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sango)
    And they pointed out the fact that they will be sent to a Uni that is at home. Therefore, one can say that s(he) lives in Canada.
    the OP also said they'll be off to canada. Therefore one can say that they are not from Canada :P

ReputationRep:
    But international fee's in Canada are as expensive as international fee's here (I looked into it as I wanted to go over there!)

ReputationRep:
    Student Loans?!

(Original post by Lrilol)
    Why is the OP refusing to say where they are from?

Oh that's right... troll.
    Actually, I study in Bahrain but am a Chinese national. Sorry I went to sleep. :yes:

Crap. I should have made myself clearer.
    Home = china for me.
    So my dear father said if you don't get into to a good university then your either going back home (to China) or studying in Canada.

ReputationRep:
    UK unis are very expensive for overseas students.

ReputationRep:
    okay, problem solved. You can opt to go to Hong Kong and then exchange to Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Home = china for me.
    So my dear father said if you don't get into to a good university then your either going back home (to China) or studying in Canada.
    Hmm, that is a very traditional chinese view on education. Tbh, unless you're going to one of the top tier unis in the UK then you might be just as well off going to a Chinese uni (bearing in mind the fees are £10000 a year for the lowest charging course for chinese nationals, 100000 yuan a year is quite a lot in China.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azhao)
    Hmm, that is a very traditional chinese view on education. Tbh, unless you're going to one of the top tier unis in the UK then you might be just as well off going to a Chinese uni (bearing in mind the fees are £10000 a year for the lowest charging course for chinese nationals, 100000 yuan a year is quite a lot in China.
    absolutely. that's also why i'm hesitating over the issue whether i am going to study in Warwick or not, which has already given me an unconditional offer for postgraduate study but i am worrying if i can get a decent a job after graduation or at least if i will be able to work there since i've heard many british citizens even have difficulties in finding jobs themselves.

as for international students, i take the view that only in oxbridge does one a degreee can guarantee him/her a job in the UK though it may sound a bit crucial. well, graduating from other top 10 unis might also enable one to get a job there but i guess it would be much less competitive and makes it more possible happen on him if there's a layoff. what do you think?

it's not 100000 anymore since the exchage rate has been raised so the OP's father has to pay nearly 160000 rnb for each year's tution fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Longorefisher)
    To be blunt, your father is probably correct in doing that. Studying in the UK is very expensive, even for home students (who pay 1/4-1/6 of the international fees and have access to loans). He believes that, to make the cost justifiable, you should go to a highly ranked university and it isn't an unreasonable view because of the high expenditure. In addition, if you are coming from abroad then the chances of you working abroad are much greater and you will probably require a highly ranked university on your C.V. to stand any chance with a company.
    agreed~ i think it's really really hard for a foreigner to get a work permit in the UK especially when he comes from far east country so unlike other british, he has to study in the top 5 unis to get him an opportunity to work here although i admit there are still many many good unis and courses in the UK. if OP's dad were to invest such a large sum of money on him for studying in the UK and he were to turn out to be unable to work here, what a loss it would be!

i know a chinese girl who finished her study in oxford uni as a geography major student and believe it or not~finally, she was hired by a famous british firm working as a manager in market department.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sango)
    And they pointed out the fact that they will be sent to a Uni that is at home. Therefore, one can say that s(he) lives in Canada.
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Home = china for me.

ReputationRep:
    't forget reputation an ranking, while it's not the end and all, does say something about teaching and research quality, and employability.
    basically you're saying you don't find this as imprtant as your father does, and you're ok with attendng just any decent uni with a nice programm.
    but if you havent your heart and mind set on a particulat uni or place, what's so terribly wrong with going to canada? if you research a bit, you sure find a uni or college there that offers a course you like?
    you probably dreamed about going to uni in the uk, but if it's not a particular place you need to attend for whatever reason, then you probably have to open up to the possibility of going to somewhere else, where things can be great.
    either way, you should probably focus on achieving good grades for now.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.