Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, sorry if this has been asked before, im relatively new to the forum. People have said lots of conflicting things to me about how much free time med students get so I thought here would be a good place to ask. As a med student, how much time do you have to just relax or go out? I appreciate that as you get further through the course (4th and 5th years) you have a lot less time so obviously have less opportunities to go out and I know that you have a lot less time than the majority of other students. Things like how many times a week do you get to go out to bars and stuff (or is even once a week hopefull?) would be good to know.
    Cheers in advance

ReputationRep:
    The first two years really isn't different to any other science degree, maybe the workload is a little bit greater, but still plenty of time for going out at least a few times a week.

ReputationRep:
    In the first 3 years you have plenty of time to go out and do any hobbies you might have. Some people even have a part time job on the side, although doing more than 12 hours is probably not the best idea! It's all about organizing your time, and working as you go along. Obviously when it comes to exam time you won't have time to do anything but study but otherwise throughout the year there is plenty of time to chill out!! Don't know if i'l be saying the same thing when I reach 4th year though!

ReputationRep:
    this may help answer your question also:

How much free time do u medics have?

ReputationRep:
    it's definitely about organising your time as Asian cuty said, and how efficiently you do your work. i've just finished 5th year, and we didn't get much holiday time (1/2 weeks for christmas, no easter) but people still went away for weekends during the year, and i used my floating week (we get one week off anytime we want within reason) to go abroad, others used it for revision.

people still went out clubbing/drinking every week, depending on if they had assignments to do, what time they were required to go into firms the next day, and how far away exams were.

ReputationRep:
    5 nights out a week.

Plus the weekend. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    5 nights out a week.

Plus the weekend. :p:
    Absolutely. During preclins there was seldom a night that my friends and I didn't go out. During clinics this was cut down to 3 times a week (with the exception of exam times).

ReputationRep:
    What silly question.

Of course there's PLENTY of time. Seriously, we used to go out all the time, skip lectures; it's not bad.

Anyway, back to re-sit revision.

ReputationRep:
    Usually such a succinct response would be counted as spam but not in this case - my answer is:

LOL.

ReputationRep:
    It is variable depending on the student's work ethic, some people balance loads of extracurriculars and go out here and there and still pull through with an excellent grade, while others spend all their non-contact time working and pull through with a satisfactory grade, and I suppose it comes down to how "difficult" you find the pre-clinical course.

On average though, most people juggle social and academic life rather well. I row, play as part of a band, go to good old George's discos and otherwise mess about and still passed somehow! So if I can do it anyone can

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.