Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Joining a men's MMA class... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay, it's not SUPPOSED to be men only, it's just how it's worked out, so me and my mate are going to join. Annoyingly, we've been put with the adults (which means some very big, muscular 20-30 something year olds) which puts the tiniest bit of pressure of us to preform because I'm not expecting them to go easy just for us (in the warm ups etc- I'm hoping we won't be fighting them til like, ever).

So, anyways, the whole point of this post is I need advice on exercise and diet in order to bulk up. Currently 5'7" at around 57kg. Okay for general purposes, not imagining it'll be much help to me in the class though :rolleyes: Anyone with any experience who could possibly help me? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Thought I'd jump in on this one again.
    It's kind of a myth that being bulky and big helps in MMA, there's a lot of technique involved and it always beats brawn. I'm actually cutting weight at the moment in preparation for a fight in August because I prefer to fight at a lower weight group.
    You're not planning to compete at all from what I read, makes a lot of sense if you're just doing it for the fitness. But if you're just doing it to get fit, just eat properly, less junk.

What I'm trying to say there is that bulking up is pointless, MMA'll work your stamina and core strength and although I hate to use this word, tone you.

ReputationRep:
    LOL I misread the titled and thought it said something about MDMA instead of MMA.

ReputationRep:
    ignore plainash in MMA strength and conditioning is very important as well as technique. If i were you work hard in the gym and study technique.... to be good at MMA you need great fitness strength and technique.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJudge)
    ignore plainash in MMA strength and conditioning is very important as well as technique. If i were you work hard in the gym and study technique.... to be good at MMA you need great fitness strength and technique.
    Read what I put; I said that bulking up was a bad idea, not that you don't need to be strong. I might not have put that clearly enough, what I was emphasising was that technique > bulk in MMA.
    Not meaning to offend now, but if anyone thinks otherwise, they've obviously never fought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plainnash)
    Read what I put; I said that bulking up was a bad idea, not that you don't need to be strong. I might not have put that clearly enough, what I was emphasising was that technique > bulk in MMA.
    Not meaning to offend now, but if anyone thinks otherwise, they've obviously never fought.
    Ofcourse fighting is not bodybuilding. I do think bulking up is only useful to manage your weight class, other than that you should train for strength and explosive ability not size.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly yeah. I think we're both arguing around the same point here...
    Back to the topic though, look into doing some HIIT to get in training for it. Like TheJudge says, it's all about explosive ability not size. Also you might want to start one/all of these:

www.hundredpushups.com
    www.twohundredsitups.com
    www.twohundredsquats.com

They'll all get you in a reasonable shape for MMA, but don't worry at all if you're struggling with them. Everyone starts somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    Thought I'd jump in on this one again.
    It's kind of a myth that being bulky and big helps in MMA, there's a lot of technique involved and it always beats brawn. I'm actually cutting weight at the moment in preparation for a fight in August because I prefer to fight at a lower weight group.

What I'm trying to say there is that bulking up is pointless, MMA'll work your stamina and core strength and although I hate to use this word, tone you.
    You say bulking is pointless, but why are you fighting in weight categories? Because being bigger and stronger is an advantage. You say you're cutting but I bet you're aiming to be at the top of your weight class rather than the bottom.

Yes putting on fat or trophy muscle is going to be little or no advantage, but improve your strength and train in a 'functional' way and sure, you may put on muscle, but you'll be a better fighter because of it.

Back to the topic though, look into doing some HIIT to get in training for it. Like TheJudge says, it's all about explosive ability not size. Also you might want to start one/all of these:

www.hundredpushups.com
    www.twohundredsitups.com
    www.twohundredsquats.com

They'll all get you in a reasonable shape for MMA, but don't worry at all if you're struggling with them. Everyone starts somewhere.
    You talk about the need to be strong, powerful, etc, great, but why are you recommending endurance exercises? Doing 100s of reps of situps, pushups, squats, etc is going to build very little strength or power, in fact almost the whole emphasis is on endurance (which can actually have a detrimental effect on power output).

If you're going to bother to train make it relevant and practical, you'll see far more benefit. You don't see sprinters running marathons as preparation for the Olympics and vice versa, the same applies to MMA. Most if not all successful MMAs strength train, do plyometrics, maybe Oly lifts, sprints, etc, even lift weights.

ReputationRep:
    I joined my MMA class when I was 16 year old fat boy, so I wouldnt be that intimidated if I were you.

Bring shorts, t-shirt, possibly jockstrap/cup and mouthguard, aswell as a towel to wipe down your sweaty ass face. Also no one will care how crap your doing, esp if its your first day. I've seen loads of people gas on there first day. Wheres the mma gym your going to by the way?

ReputationRep:
    I agree with choco oly lifts and spritns are the way forward.

However before a fight tone down the heavy lifting and do more endurance absed activity.

ReputationRep:
    I recommended the 100/200/200 routines because it's a good start point for basic endurance, not because she should stick to these as a religious workout.
    Of course after that you should concentrate on explosive strength, but I reckon it's easier to gain that strength when you've got reasonable endurance. Correct me if I'm wrong please, I don't pretend to be an expert at all

ReputationRep:
    I recommended the 100/200/200 routines because it's a good start point for basic endurance, not because she should stick to these as a religious workout.
    Of course after that you should concentrate on explosive strength, but I reckon it's easier to gain that strength when you've got reasonable endurance. Correct me if I'm wrong please, I don't pretend to be an expert at all
    You're wrong. Building explosive strength involves doing certain exercises and endurance exercies wont necasarily help.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't get too caught up on weights, just concentrate on your mma classes. Gym will help you but proper techinque and endurance will be more important, esp when your first starting. Alot of new people who come from gym backgrounds end up relying on there strength too much in the gym, so will end up giving up techinque for strength.

An example would be, if someone has you in mount or north south, most strong guys will bridge and explode people off, while the smaller guys will shrimp and claim guard. I'm not taking away bridging out of mount but alot of strong guys do it and when they face someone with a good base and they cant bridge them off mount, they have alot of trouble getting out of mount as there not that good at shrimping or being put in half guard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barton1)
    I wouldn't get too caught up on weights, just concentrate on your mma classes. Gym will help you but proper techinque and endurance will be more important, esp when your first starting. Alot of new people who come from gym backgrounds end up relying on there strength too much in the gym, so will end up giving up techinque for strength.

An example would be, if someone has you in mount or north south, most strong guys will bridge and explode people off, while the smaller guys will shrimp and claim guard. I'm not taking away bridging out of mount but alot of strong guys do it and when they face someone with a good base and they cant bridge them off mount, they have alot of trouble getting out of mount as there not that good at shrimping or being put in half guard.
    I disagree bridging is better..... in MMA its easy to get stuck on the bottom and get pounded buy just shrimping and getting back to guard. Bridging is a much better way to escape.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree bridging is better..... in MMA its easy to get stuck on the bottom and get pounded buy just shrimping and getting back to guard. Bridging is a much better way to escape.
    But someone with good mount and base and your NOT bridging them off, believe me, so then if all your used to is bridging but you cant bridge someone then your ******. I'm not saying you shouldnt bridge, but there are times when you cant, and when you cant your gonna need other escapes, and strong guys tend to only have one escape.

ReputationRep:
    where is this gym

ReputationRep:
    try bridging out of S-mount, the come back and tell us how it went

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stevo_Mc)
    try bridging out of S-mount, the come back and tell us how it went

I have many times.... I do judo and wrestling its fairly common place for us to bridge out of sidemount. Only BJJ boys do the whole shrimping out of sidemoiunt and thats mainly because they don;t work their bridging enough.

ReputationRep:
    I have many times.... I do judo and wrestling its fairly common place for us to bridge out of sidemount. Only BJJ boys do the whole shrimping out of sidemoiunt and thats mainly because they don;t work their bridging enough.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu24EDFlAdg

is S-Mount, if i meant side mount, i wouldve said sidemount.

And for your point, your retarded if your not proficient at both bridging and shrimping.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stevo_Mc)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu24EDFlAdg

is S-Mount, if i meant side mount, i wouldve said sidemount.

And for your point, your retarded if your not proficient at both bridging and shrimping.

I can shrimp i just don't very often. I am good at wrestling... when i bridge people i scramble and end up on top . You might not have the same results but i am faster and stronger than msot of the BJJ guys so i win the scrambles. The only time i shrimp is to stop people passing my guard.

S-mount. I would turn over, then win the scramble and end up on top.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.