Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Joining a men's MMA class... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Judge what gym do you train at?

And the thing is, you cant just simply bridge and scramble lol, that isnt goign to work with someone who has a very good mount and your more likely to get out by shrimping to guard. The fact you through S-mount was sidemount makes me wonder how long you've been grappling for lol

ReputationRep:
    Bah lots of people start MMA as unfit fatties with no gas.

Just doing MMA will make you a lot fitter.

If you're feeling weak squat/dead/bench/press, build your overall strength up. Powercleans can be useful as well but you might want to get someone to show you how to do them, or watch videos.

If you're training MMA a sufficient amount of times a week anyway, you won't have time to think about other training because you'll be so ******* shattered.

Edit: oh and its best to get fit WHILE you're there rather than beforehand. Start going immediately then if you think you have a problem with your strength and conditioning start working gymwork around your MMA classes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barton1)
    Judge what gym do you train at?

And the thing is, you cant just simply bridge and scramble lol, that isnt goign to work with someone who has a very good mount and your more likely to get out by shrimping to guard. The fact you through S-mount was sidemount makes me wonder how long you've been grappling for lol

I do judo and wrestling...

The fact i dont know what s-mount is just shows i don't do BJJ, however i have rolled with many BJJ fighters even world champs and i have found only purple belt plus can keep up with me. But then again i train at an olympic level judo centre and with some of the best wrestlers in the country.
    I have been grappling 9 years. Including judo, wrestling and submission wrestling and a couple of BJJ classes (i go with my bro sometimes).

S-mount is one of the circus tricks BJJ made up when in reality the majority of techniques that work in BJJ are from Judo Newaza, sambo and modified from wrestling.

Don't doubt my ability to bridge out from the bottom, however i rarely end up on the bottom.

ReputationRep:
    WOW, your higher than a BJJ blue belt, go pat yourself on the back and join the thousands of other people who can tap blue belts.
    I believe spider guard is "one of those BJJ circus tricks" and i also believe that one of the best black belts in this country (no disrespect) uses this to great effect.
    Also, what happens when your opponent is stronger and faster than you, then youd be screwed if all you rely on is powerful bridges.

ReputationRep:
    All i'm going to say is if you think you can bridge someone who has a good strong high mount or a good spread legged low mount then your talking out of your arse. I do doubt your ability to bridge out from the bottom, because when a guy is around your weight with a good base, similar experiance and got a high mount, you aint bridging **** lol.

Once again i'll ask you what gym do you train at.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.