Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am a non-cognate student wanting to do a postgraduate course in either Building/Quantity Surveying.

I have to live at home in London so my choice of university is limited. At the moment London South Bank University offers the course I want but they are at the BOTTOM of the university of league tables. I am worried this well effect my job prospects upon graduation next year. I have written to construction companies asking if the repuation of the institution is significant and most of them have said no, as long as the course is RICS accredited (which it is at LSBU) though I can't help thinking this is just lip service and they are only saying this to appear neutral in their recruitment processes.

Has anyone studied at postgraduate level at LSBU and found it hard to find work afterwards?

Anyone done surveying at LSBU?

Am I just being elitist?

Can anyone recommend any other London universities?

Perhaps I should get out a bigger loan and move out of London to a better university?

ReputationRep:
    Hey. Yeah same situation here. Although I'm coming from a design background. Like you, I'm thinking about studying Building surveying at LSBU. I know its quite late to be doing research but I'm trying to find out what it's like so if anybody here has studied or is currently studying at LSBU then please let us know your views.

Personally, I don't think the uni league tables matter that much. RICS Accreditation far outweighs the reputation of the university.

After researching the RICS Accredited courses, it looks like there are only a few around London. Kingston is another worth considering.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard nothing but good things from LSBU's post-grad surveying courses, go for it.

ReputationRep:
    So have the three of you decided where you're going!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carlene23)
    Has anyone studied at postgraduate level at LSBU and found it hard to find work afterwards?
    (Original post by London_LMF)
    Hey. Yeah same situation here.
    (Original post by Lux Lisbon)
    So have the three of you decided where you're going!?
    I'd be very interested to learn about this as well. Did you end up going to LSBU, Carlene23 and London_LMF? How is the course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carlene23)
    I am a non-cognate student wanting to do a postgraduate course in either Building/Quantity Surveying.

I have to live at home in London so my choice of university is limited. At the moment London South Bank University offers the course I want but they are at the BOTTOM of the university of league tables. I am worried this well effect my job prospects upon graduation next year. I have written to construction companies asking if the repuation of the institution is significant and most of them have said no, as long as the course is RICS accredited (which it is at LSBU) though I can't help thinking this is just lip service and they are only saying this to appear neutral in their recruitment processes.

Anyone done surveying at LSBU?

Am I just being elitist?

Can anyone recommend any other London universities?

Perhaps I should get out a bigger loan and move out of London to a better university?
    Hi there,

I studied quantity surveying part time at london south bank uni but not as a postgraduate student so i dunno whether this will help. Before i started i didnt hear anything bad about the uni and i know a few people that are there atm while in a trainee position within a company and works really well.

However, i was the only one out of my whole year to take quantity surveying, full time nd part time. the lectures where cancelled quite often and tbh i didnt see how some of the course was relevant to quantity surverying. i did have one really good class though with a top quantity surveyor studying mearsurement and documentation.

Ive now left and transfering to a different uni to go full time to complete the degree. If i knew what south bank was like before enroling i wouldnt have gone there.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 21, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.