Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Intensive exercise - without equipment Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there.

I am currently planning a very long holiday at some point this year (six weeksish). Usually, I do about 80 minutes on the cross trainer or rowing machine. I wanted to make sure I both burn the same number of calories as I normally would, with all the extra holiday food, and not lose much fitness. Unfortunately, on this trip, I won't be able to access a gym or swimming pool. In addition, I can't run, since I usually end up hurting my knees.

Does anybody have any ideas of how this might be possible? I know there are obviously things like skipping, but I'm not so fit that I can skip for an hour straight!

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Burpees.
    Pressups.
    Bodyweight/backpack squats
    Door frame pull ups.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you should look at your running technique, if you're hurting your knees. How about cycling?

ReputationRep:
    I think your best option would be doing circuits consisting of a number of bodyweight exercises. Pick a number of bodyweight exercises and perform each for 50 seconds with a 10 second break between each exercise. Once you've done maybe 8-12 exercises, have a 2-3 minute break and repeat once or twice more. This won't take you as long as the exercise you're currently doing but will be much more efficient - if you're just looking to burn calories and aren't interested in building endurance for sports, exercising for 80 minutes straight is wasting time when you could be doing much shorter, more intense sessions.

ReputationRep:
    Presumably this will still be aerobic exercise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingoftheNazgul)
    Presumably this will still be aerobic exercise?
    If your heart rate is correct, yes (I believe using the Fox and Haskell formula it's between 70% and 80% of your maximum heart rate).

Over 80% and it's anaerobic, below 70% I believe they describe it as the "fitness" level rather than aerobic.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.