Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm going University part-time and would like to know is there anything else i may be entitled to rather than the two : Fee Grant and Loan :

I am going to be working part-time but it wouldn't be enough I don't think.

ReputationRep:
    No, but you'll have plenty of money with the grant and a part-time job, unless you spend excessively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    No, but you'll have plenty of money with the grant and a part-time job, unless you spend excessively.
    Well it depends, some commuting costs can be ridiculous, even buying secondhand books can be expensive, tuition fees, taking time to actually study etc. You can easily use that money up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    Well it depends, some commuting costs can be ridiculous, even buying secondhand books can be expensive, tuition fees, taking time to actually study etc. You can easily use that money up.
    Not if you're sensible with it. Commuting should never cost too much - if it does, rent somewhere closer.
    Books, likewise, can be purchased cheaply from (for example) Amazon marketplace.
    You get a separate loan for tuition fees.
    A grant, plus an eight-hour shift at a part-time job on minimum wage will give more than enough to live on if you're careful with your money.

ReputationRep:
    Same could be said for those us who are full time students...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    Same could be said for those us who are full time students...
    Well of course full time students on only a grant, loan and pt job are struggling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    Not if you're sensible with it. Commuting should never cost too much - if it does, rent somewhere closer.
    Books, likewise, can be purchased cheaply from (for example) Amazon marketplace.
    You get a separate loan for tuition fees.
    A grant, plus an eight-hour shift at a part-time job on minimum wage will give more than enough to live on if you're careful with your money.
    It can cost more to rent somewhere closer and still be thousands in commuting. Especially if you live at home and commute and to live closer its no transport but rent/utilities/food.

ReputationRep:
    It can cost more to rent somewhere closer and still be thousands in commuting. Especially if you live at home and commute and to live closer its no transport but rent/utilities/food.

My point is though, people manage to rent without problems, so you either:

a) commute
    b) rent

If one gets too expensive, go for the cheaper option. Both will be affordable.

Put it this way, my rent was £80 per week (bills included) when I was at university. I'd have been stupid to commute if it cost more than this.

If full-time students can manage without trouble, a part-time student definitely can.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i'll be working 12 hours a week. Not on minimum wage. So i guess yeah i agree, if I do spend wisely I should be okay with University. Plus I would be living at home too.

ReputationRep:
    It's means-tested on your income only, and it's grants for fees and a small grant of upto £260 towards books or whatever you want to spend it on. Forms for next year aren't available yet, but should be by the end of August.

ReputationRep:
    in first year i worked 8 hours in some days. (night club, restaurant....) and waste lot of time for that's jobs and earned some good money. but it not enough even cover my day experiences.
    when time pass i understood, i waste lot of money for invaluable things.
    money management is best things to do, there are many ways to cost cutting method.
    prepare ur daily budget an set ur life as it.
    believe me u can save lot of money doing that.
    time is gold

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by londynclara)
    in first year i worked 8 hours in some days. (night club, restaurant....) and waste lot of time for that's jobs and earned some good money. but it not enough even cover my day experiences.
    when time pass i understood, i waste lot of money for invaluable things.
    money management is best things to do, there are many ways to cost cutting method.
    prepare ur daily budget an set ur life as it.
    believe me u can save lot of money doing that.
    time is gold
    There are many things wrong with this post, but i think your message is good (well what i understand your message to be) - Set budgets/know your limits and by living within your means you wont have the headache some students do of scrounging for money or using the next loan payment to get out of your overdraft.

ReputationRep:
    To mess about for a few days a week?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.