Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I currently work at Sports Direct, on a zero-hour contract. This means that my hours are really quite varied, and some weeks i get as little as 3 hours. I am therefore going on Job Seekers Allowance, as you can if you work under 16 hours. I am looking for a job with more hours (e.g. a guaranteed number of hours each week).

Just to let you know, i phoned the Job Centre today and the guy i spoke to has started my claim up from today. He said that i'll just have to sign off any weeks where i do 16 hours or above.

It's helpful that it's started from today, as i'm only working 3 hours this week which gives me a total of £14.31. So instead of that i'll get £55 because they let you keep the first £5 of your wages, and then deduct the rest £ by £ from your claim. (e.g. £14.31 - £5.00 = £9.31. £50.00 - £9.31 = £40.69. £40.69 + £9.31 + £5.00 = £55.00.)

The only question i have is the following:

If i was working 13 hours - i'd get paid £62.01. Does that mean that i could stay signed on because it's less than 16 hours, but i wouldn't get any JSA that week because it's over the JSA weekly amount (£50.95)?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, as far as I know you can stay signed on, however much you earn under 16 hours. It's a lot less hassle that way.

ReputationRep:
    You cant get jobseekers. But i think you can get income support.... not sure tho

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.