Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm an EU Citizen. I came to the UK 2 years ago, and have been using my passport. However, I started using the English form of my second name as the first name, 'cause a lot of people have had problems with pronouncing my actual first name. To make matters clear, my national ID and my passport says my names are JOACHIM DYMITR (JOACHIM DIMITRI), whereas I started going by "DIMITRI J." here. On some occasions I am forced to use my real-real name (i.e. while dealing with bank or sth), so Joachim or "Joachim D.".
    So, I have been wondering - does anyone know if I am allowed to get any sort of an ID with the name order and form I started using here? I can't do the deed poll yet (not even a resident status), but I'd love to have some sort of a card that would state that I am "Dimitri J.", as this is the name I use profesionally, and e.g. while being put on a guestlist in a club and providing my passport I have to explain that "Dimitri" is the English form of "Dymitr" and that I use my second name as my first here, etc., and keep on getting odd looks sometimes lol :lolwut:

I can't get a driving license now, BTW - not enough money :redface:

Is there any sort of ID I could get, even a paid one? :confused: thanks

ReputationRep:
    If you don't have the money for a provisional driver's license then you probably won't have the money for anything meeting your requirements. Could you get a new passport from your home country with your alternate name?

ReputationRep:
    Go to the embassy and change your name and get a new passport + ask for some sort of identification card. I think you need to pay somewhere between £30-50, so you're not too lucky.

I got mine sorted by the Swedish Embassy. But as smart as I am, lost the card.

ReputationRep:
    You cannot use two names as if both are official and proper. You either change your name or you don't.

I don't see how it's a great problem anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    If you don't have the money for a provisional driver's license then you probably won't have the money for anything meeting your requirements. Could you get a new passport from your home country with your alternate name?
    How much does a "provisional driving license" cost? I don't have to be a driver to have it, have I? :confused:

TBH I haven't thought of that, I just can't drive and can't afford the whole course, but I could fork out a few dozen pounds for a document. Don't think I could get a new passport from my country either, it would require me changing the name officially and going through loads and loads of paperwork. To be frank, I'm not even sure if I would be allowed to do this, there is some sort of a really dumb law in my country that does let you only change your name if it ridicules you in some way (e.g. you're called John Nosey and you have an exceptionally big nose). I'm 100% positive it applies to family names, but wouldn't be surprised if it would apply to given names as well... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    You cannot use two names as if both are official and proper.
    What do you mean? Technically it's the same name - it's just the order that's changed and an English form of a second one, like Frederic vs Fryderyk Chopin. My first one on the birth certificate has been mispronounced all the time and I didn't like it, but I still keep it.

It's not a great problem tbh, was just curious if I can do this somehow, 'cause that would make my life a bit easier.

ReputationRep:
    Nah you don't need to learn to drive or anything to get a provisional license. Costs £50 I think. Loads of people get them even though they don't plan on actually driving any time soon.

ReputationRep:
    £50 for a provisiona - **** - it was £17 just 5 years ago.

There is no point getting a driving lcience as they will only copy what you have on your passport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamitri)
    What do you mean? Technically it's the same name - it's just the order that's changed and an English form of a second one, like Frederic vs Fryderyk Chopin. My first one on the birth certificate has been mispronounced all the time and I didn't like it, but I still keep it.

It's not a great problem tbh, was just curious if I can do this somehow, 'cause that would make my life a bit easier.
    You can get a driving licence without learning to drive - it costs £50 as is the best form of ID to use in the UK.

You need to check with the DVLA if they will let you use the english version of your name on it though. As Lib says going around with 2 different names may not be officially possible even if it isa translation.

You could always try citizencard but it may not be widley as accepted at a driving licence http://www.citizencard.com/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    £50 for a provisiona - **** - it was £17 just 5 years ago.
    Maybe it is less then, I'm not sure. I must have got mine around 5 years ago too, but I don't remember how much I paid.

ReputationRep:
    looks as though tis 50 for a provisional but you get the full free.

i think when i did it you paid 17 provisional but then paid again when you got the full licence.

nice way of screwing peopel who never get the full licence and only wnat it as id!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.