Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This is in contrast to the 'why do you regret studying medicine?' thread... im a prospective med student, have heard all the bad things about medicine and thought wouldnt it be nice to hear some good things as well?
    so what do you love about medicine?

ReputationRep:
    I posted in the other thread that is wasn't 'difficult' enough. This is kind of compensated by the human body being pretty fascinating! [/first year view].

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    I posted in the other thread that is wasn't 'difficult' enough. This is kind of compensated by the human body being pretty fascinating! [/first year view].
    According to facebook you found medical sociology difficult enough...

Sorry; I couldn't resist. I don't doubt you kicked my arse in all the other ones. I agree though - it's just that there's SOOOO much of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyraell)
    According to facebook you found medical sociology difficult enough...

Sorry; I couldn't resist. I don't doubt you kicked my arse in all the other ones. I agree though - it's just that there's SOOOO much of it.
    Hey, i just wanted to spend some more quality time with Crispin.

Good identification work though :holmes: .

ReputationRep:
    I don't regret studying medicine - I would have hated anything else more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    I don't regret studying medicine - I would have hated anything else more.
    My feelings exactly

ReputationRep:
    Because I don't study Medicine.

ReputationRep:
    my heart wasn't really into medicine. i in fact did my ukcat test in which i did very well but when it came to the day when i was going t send offf my application, i just my asked myself a few qns and decided to do the undoable. my mum was very disappointed and she still is but in the end its my life so i went with what my heart really wanted and not what many peoale around me wanted.

ReputationRep:
    Because, as morbid as it sounds, you get to cut up a cadaver in anatomy; the shear wonder of seeing how the human body fits together is awesome. That and biochemistry, I hated it all year then when it came round to revision and i took the time to really understand it rather than just learn it and i came to love it. Oh and Physiology is brilliant too.

So really unless the idea of understanding whats happening in the human body really excites you then i think you WILL regret studying medicine (the massive workload and long course for starters)

ReputationRep:
    Dont regret it at all I don't think I would be happy doing anything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munro90)
    So really unless the idea of understanding whats happening in the human body really excites you then i think you WILL regret studying medicine (the massive workload and long course for starters)
    Okay then... :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Okay then... :curious:
    fair enough that came out wrong.
    basically i was trying to say its only worth it if you genuinely are interested in it.

ReputationRep:
    There's a great camraderie among medics (cue terp to contradict me) which contrasts with other degrees which can be a bit disjointed owing to various option modules etc. I don't think I would have made nearly as many friends or done as many new things as I have without that aspect.

I also really don't regret doing medical sociology. The average student doesn't learn and develop fresh attitudes about disability, mental health, poverty, homelessness etc. that a medic does and I think that made all of us better and more rounded people. Its the sort of skill that you use every day, which is infinitely more worthwhile that learning a tiny fact about biochemistry/physiology etc.!!

ReputationRep:
    Because in most worst-case scenarios (post-apocalyptic wasteland, stranded on a desert island, a hot air balloon where the load needs to be lightened) the medically trained people usually do alright for themselves.

ReputationRep:
    What are medical exams like? Is it just memorising, memorising, memorising or is there more to it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woody.)
    What are medical exams like? Is it just memorising, memorising, memorising or is there more to it?
    Thats pretty much it..:cool: Factor in lack of sleep/nutrition/sunlight/human interaction and you've hit it on the nail

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    Thats pretty much it..:cool: Factor in lack of sleep/nutrition/sunlight/human interaction and you've hit it on the nail
    Do you find the stuff you're memorising interesting? I guess that's just the key thing about wanting to be a doctor is that you enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woody.)
    Do you find the stuff you're memorising interesting?
    Some of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Some of it.
    But a lot of it is pretty boring and/or useless.

ReputationRep:
    Fantastic. I can't wait to spend five years of my life sitting in a dark room until the early hours memorising things that aren't even remotely interesting! Somehow I don't think that's the whole picture else I don't think medicine would be as popular as it is. I mean, I thought the memorising would be bad but then I imagine a lot of courses are like that an to an extent I imagine it stretches to A-Levels as they are essentially about memorising things.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.