Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I call the police? Watch

I live in a semi-detached house, and i'm currently home-alone.

The couple next door to me are having the most violent argument I've ever heard. Doors are slamming, verbal abuse is being shouted, and it's generally not very pleasant. I've also heard screams (non-sexual :rolleyes: ) from the woman. Should I do something?

I don't speak to my neighbours a lot so I'd feel uncomfortable going round there and seeing if everything's fine, but this argument sounds really violent. I know people will say it's a normal domestic argument, but I don't know. I've never heard them arguing before. Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Call them, ask if they are okk,
    if it continues call the police and REMEMBER STAY CALM

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure they don't usually argue or have problems? If it isn't a regular thing maybe you should do something, but i wouldn't advise going around there, you could get hurt!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

The couple next door to me are having the most violent argument I've ever heard. Doors are slamming, verbal abuse is being shouted, and it's generally not very pleasant. I've also heard screams (non-sexual :rolleyes: ) from the woman. Should I do something?

I don't speak to my neighbours a lot so I'd feel uncomfortable going round there and seeing if everything's fine, but this argument sounds really violent. I know people will say it's a normal domestic argument, but I don't know. I've never heard them arguing before. Any advice?
    If it sounds violent, call the police. If it's just verbal, leave it.

ReputationRep:
    Stick your Ipod on.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah,deff dont go round.
    I'd call your local police station (not 999) and just let them be aware of it. Might turn out to be evidence used in a domestic violence case one day, you never know!
    Either way, no harm can come from doing that and they'll be able to give you better advice on anything more you should do.

(Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    If it sounds violent, call the police. If it's just verbal, leave it.
    I don't know whether it's physical, I can't see through walls. But it's verbally aggressive.

ReputationRep:
    hmm its a difficult one. if you're worried i don't think theres any harm in calling the police.. you never know you could save someone from getting hurt?

ReputationRep:
    Everyone has domestic arguments, if it's just verbal then you should probably leave it. You'll be really embarrassed if the police come round and both the man and the woman say they were just having a heated argument, and nothing was wrong.

If you hear actual violence or screams for agony or for help, then you should call the police.

It's died down a bit now. They're talking... which is a good start I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    You must have very thin walls!

ReputationRep:
    Leave it for a while. Depending on how long it continues, i would give your police station a call.
    You're clearly concerned to feel the need to post on here, so it might be an idea to call now.

ReputationRep:
    You should definitely check if they are okay before calling the police. I mean, if you find it awkward just talking to them imagine how awkward it would be if the police showed up at their door and you had to explain that you called.

I say wait it out. Not all arguments turn violent. If it drags on for a while/gets louder/there is any indication of physical abuse, take action.

ReputationRep:
    somebody call nine-hundred and ninety-nine!!!

ReputationRep:
    yeh call the police if it carries on and gets worse or noticably physical
    i mean, if anything does go wrong, then theyd interview neighbours
    "Well I did hear screaming, doors slamming, and a LOT of arguing. I was worried. I didn't call the police, I posted a thread on TSR though.." (i dont mean to be sarcastic)
    ring up... well might seem nosy... consult another neighbour and remember to say youre concerned, things like this can easily come across as people being nosy :|

You said they are talking so its nothing as long as you didn't hear the word Help then its all good no need for the police to be involved in a heated argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

My next door neighbours are like this a lot. It's hard to know what's best isn't it. Even when it sounds extremely vicious, I don't think calling the police over shouting is very useful. If I heard screams of pain or things breaking etc then I probably would call, thankfully it hasn't come to this yet.

Also, when my mum and I argue we are pretty vocal! It's never been anything physical so even though it might sound violent it's not, so I keep this in mind.

(Original post by Shalarmay)
    You must have very thin walls!
    I can understand this. Our walls are so thin I can here the 6 year old next door playing on his keyboard. I can hear every note clearly from the other side of my room AND I can record it on my phone! Not good at 8am on a saturday morning!

ReputationRep:
    Why not contact the Police and let them decide whether it needs following up?

What happened? I hope everything was okay.
    If it happens again, I'd probably go around a neighbour's (preferably male and preferably somebody who knows them) and see what they thought.
    No harm can be done by calling the police. I've been on the receiiving end hundreds (well, not quite 'hundreds'...) of times too, when my mum needed help and I was too young or scared to do anything, or wasn't home. So you might really be able to help somebody. The talking sounds like a good sign, so don't feel bad if you didn't call anybody though.
    Sorry for the random anon by the way :P

ReputationRep:
    Phone the police and let them sort it out - better safe than sorry.

At the very least its causing you a disturbance!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.