Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Good things to get cracking on for Uni application? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haz220807)
    Best of both worlds then!
    'Due to my ability in the subject, I was given the option of taking the GSCE at the end of year 10; despite the extra work involved in this I was more than willing to take on this challenge and achieved a grade __ overall.'
    A*
    wow, my head just swelled to twice its size!
    Thanks for all the advice, i shall keep looking for relevant work experience/volunteer work, and keep reading around the subject.

Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    Please just enjoy your summer. Unless you want to do medicine, vet med or dentistry, there is very little you can do yet to strengthen your application. If you want to do any of those, maybe start trying to get some work experience. Then you'll have a good idea, by the time it really comes to making your mind up, whether that's what you really want to do and you'll also have a head start on other applicants.

But, yeah, otherwise just don't bother yet.

ReputationRep:
    No problems.

F1 fanatic- I was just giving a general idea of what to say, not a definite how I would do it. It's been a while since I wrote mine so was just giving a general gist!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    It depends on the subject you're going to apply for, to be honest... I mean, for medicine/dentistry/vedmed I'd assume work experience is really important, but for something like English it's more important that you can talk about literature confidently. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    sorry to intrude, but something in this thread caught my eye concerning extra-curricular activities.
    i'm not very skilled at sport and although i play tennis etc i am not a member of a club at present and do not participate in any team sports - would something like this be viewed as essential as showing i am a team player etc? i enjoy swimming and am thinking of working towards an nplq qualification; would this be beneficial also? i play piano and bass guitar too, but again this is leisurely and at my own pace - i achieved grade 2 or 3 at piano but after that i stopped lessons and began to play at my own will.
    however, i do volunteer work, have some work experience and am on an nhs panel, mentor and so on. i realise what was mentioned that it is not extra-curricularly focused and the primary concern is on good grades, but i'm just looking for any opportunity to boost my application. apologies if it seems foolish and sorry again for intruding on your thread! thanks

ReputationRep:
    By the way - I'm looking at the Natural Science course (possibly 4 year Msc)

ReputationRep:
    For now, I'd recommend you'd put your all into your GCSEs, and then your A Levels, obviously.

I'd suggest you put all your effort into making an effort within school, join a few teams if they have any, be helpful in class for your teachers and generally make a big effort. This will give you experience for you to put into your personal statement, and it'll give you a good teachers reference.

If you can, do some volunteering, even if it's for a few hours a month, and start reading around the subjects you're interested in.

Some universities do mini courses over the summer to give you an insight to certain subjects. Cambridge does these, as well as Oxford, Durham and a variety of others. It might be worth checking some of these out as they'll add to your passion for the subject you'll be choosing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat2pult)
    For now, I'd recommend you'd put your all into your GCSEs, and then your A Levels, obviously.

I'd suggest you put all your effort into making an effort within school, join a few teams if they have any, be helpful in class for your teachers and generally make a big effort. This will give you experience for you to put into your personal statement, and it'll give you a good teachers reference.

If you can, do some volunteering, even if it's for a few hours a month, and start reading around the subjects you're interested in.

Some universities do mini courses over the summer to give you an insight to certain subjects. Cambridge does these, as well as Oxford, Durham and a variety of others. It might be worth checking some of these out as they'll add to your passion for the subject you'll be choosing.

Could you expand on the mention of the 'mini courses' please?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    well do some work expereince/ voluntary work over the next 2 summer holidays that will be relevant to your course (thats if you know what areas you want to go into) but i think that is most imporitatnt, judging by your predicted grades i don't think u need to be worried about your GCSE A level results. etc. if u want to get into a top uni, your personal statement is the most important and that has nothing to do with your grades

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corlaine)
    sorry to intrude, but something in this thread caught my eye concerning extra-curricular activities.
    i'm not very skilled at sport and although i play tennis etc i am not a member of a club at present and do not participate in any team sports - would something like this be viewed as essential as showing i am a team player etc? i enjoy swimming and am thinking of working towards an nplq qualification; would this be beneficial also? i play piano and bass guitar too, but again this is leisurely and at my own pace - i achieved grade 2 or 3 at piano but after that i stopped lessons and began to play at my own will.
    however, i do volunteer work, have some work experience and am on an nhs panel, mentor and so on. i realise what was mentioned that it is not extra-curricularly focused and the primary concern is on good grades, but i'm just looking for any opportunity to boost my application. apologies if it seems foolish and sorry again for intruding on your thread! thanks
    Sounds fine to me, as long as its something you actively participate in (other than going on nights out with friends and watching tv) then that's all you need. You have quite a bit to talk about there both showing a range of interests and development of skills through swimming and particularly the nhs panel/mentoring. You really only need to give a flavour that your life doesn't revolve around work 9-5 and you're not a boring person, it doesn't need to be amazing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warthogBE)
    Could you expand on the mention of the 'mini courses' please?

Thanks.
    Search 'summer courses'. They last a couple of weeks but cost a fair amount. Each uni is different, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat2pult)
    Search 'summer courses'. They last a couple of weeks but cost a fair amount. Each uni is different, though.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    You're going to change soooo much in between being 15 and 18, I'd focus on your current studies if I were you, and keep the Cambridge plans at the back of your mind at least until you've gotten to college and are happy with what you're doing. No point rushing these things, even if it is Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    Duke of Edinburgh award/ international award. It's the same thing there's bronze (start at 14) silver (start at 15) and gold (start at 16) of course you can start them all whenever but those are the minimum ages and it can be difficult depending on your strengths. Both names are for the same award but different countries name them differently. Should help

ReputationRep:
    Well im about your age and my teachers say that things like form leader,student council, maybe like head girl/boy. If you have a particular hobby or play a music instument then maybe get some achievements from them and maybe voluntering at like a charity. Mainly things that show your talents and your leadership skills. If there is like a competition or academic thing like I went to a court junior competition thing to show you have experenced lots of things.
    Hope this helps and good luck x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.