Turn on thread page Beta

....... watch

• View Poll Results: Which would you be more inclined to do?
    Three year course (feel that you'll do well, graduate a year earlier)
    23.53%
    Four year course (may open more doors, more employable)
    76.47%

ReputationRep:
    I had exactly the same dilemma (but with german). However, age wasn't the problem, as many people thought. In fact, it was just that I wasn't as enthusiastic as german as I used to be. I didn't enjoy it anymore.

I was thinking of taking a year out and then reapply but I've just switched to your first option. Studying in America is one of the things I really want to do and some of the patner universities at my choice of uni offer the best departments in that field.

Studying a language may seem to make poeple more employable but if it meant spending time and money on something I don't enjoy anymore; what's the point? I hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fourteen)
    It's two subjects equally split, and a lot harder, as I am studying the particular language with only a GCSE in it, and for someone who isn't naturally gifted at languages, it can be quite difficult. I lack confidence in it and don't think I will be up to the required standard in time for uni.

I don't know what I want to do afterwards, but linguistics interests me more, and I was thinking of maybe postgrad and then linguistic research as one of my options, but it's still too early to say. I will be more likely to do well in it I think, because I actually do worse where there are oral tests like on a language course. I also just have a gut feeling about it, that I will struggle and end up switching to linguistics anyway.

I have to make a decision before uni starts in order to get onto the course with the year abroad in America (that is, if I'll actually be considered or if there are spaces left - but it's in UCAS extra so I'm keeping my fingers crossed).

Bit disheartened by the poll though.
    I have a friend who's studying who languages, and one of those she was learning from scratch - is the language that you're thinking about doing an ab-initio sort of course, or post-A-level type course?

Ultimately, the choice is up to you. You don't have to choose your future based on a poll that was voted on by mostly more academically inclined people, who will, more than likely, choose the more difficult option. If you'd rather do the linguistics course and are sure that it will get you into a career that you'll enjoy then so be it, as long as you are happy with that decision. Don't let random strangers on the internet choose for you.

ReputationRep:
    I'm due to start in September at Manchester Uni. I had a bit of a panic about the degree I had chosen and so I rethought and contacted the university to ask if it was possible to change. I'm in the process of changing my choice now. :yep:

I had the same idea of using my free choice credit to do a language course (either French or Russian). I love languages! At least I am improving my employability by picking up a new language (I have an A-level in German)

If it's any consolation; I have hardly any idea of what I want to do in the future. I was thinking about the media or publishing. In the meantime I'd rather to something I enjoy and want to do.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's an ab initio course but more for people who have a GCSE in it rather than completely from scratch. I've forgotten nearly everything from GCSE (four years ago) though.

It's the uncertainty of what I'll do afterwards which is concerning, but I guess I'll just do it and see what happens afterwards.
    Well, if you've studied a language before, you're likely to pick it up quicker the second time around, and if it's 'more for people who've studied it before' then surely that doesn't completely rule out people who've never studied it, hence you wouldn't be at a disadvantage?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's easy to say get over it, but considering all the other factors I mentioned, it's a tough decision.
    Your factors you mentioned above in my opinion is you being childish! Think about what your saying, you've already pointed it out that with more experience it will open more doors, more employable etc etc so what is the problem! Your 20 years old act like 1. You graduated at 24 is not a problem at all your not the first and you won't be the last!

ReputationRep:
    The only difference with medics is that I don't really think they have the worry of being less employable after they finish their education, and they are guaranteed training on their course, pretty much.
    You wont really be less employable, youll be as employable as any normal graduate but a couple of years older, so the only thing is youre not as employable as people that graduated 2 years before you and have 2 years of extra experience. Yes doing a joint degree with that experience would make you better off than a normal graduate but you dont have to feel guilty about rather being a normal graduate just because youre a couple of years older. Doing that degree you will have more time and can get pt job (if its officey thats really good on a cv) and applying for loads of diff. work experiences during summer/over christmas/easter. You will also have more time to focus on less subjects to do better. A graduate with a 1st is better than a graduate with a dual degree at 2.ii.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.