Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

disadvantages of the pill (over condoms) for girls? Watch

So theres a thread for advantages so why not one for disadvantages
    and im thinking of going on the pill, but i dont wanna put on weight? =//
    any other disadvantages..?

ReputationRep:
    Umm.. I had cysts in my breasts on one of my pills.
    Some of the pills i've used gave me breakthrough bleeding if i ran more than two packs together.
    One pill completely got rid of my sex drive.
    One made me moody All the time.

But every pill is different and different for each person. Just because i had these disadvantages, doesn't mean you will. I think the advantage of protection on the pill is greatest, and you can change pills until you find one that suits you.

ReputationRep:
    If you find a pill that works for you, I don't think there's one disadvantage over condoms.

ReputationRep:
    Well I've had nothing but problems with the pill so I can give you some disadvantages lol!
    -Weight gain
    -Complete loss of sex drive
    -Bleeding for months on end (with Yasmin and Cerazette I was bleeding for 2+ months straight!)
    -Absolutely terrible moodswings
    -Terrible headaches everyday

ReputationRep:
    After sex gets a bit messy.

ReputationRep:
    The only major disadvantage I had (on Microgynon) is that it made me have terrible moodswings, made me a million times more emotional which got me into all sorts of trouble, and verges on depression (I hate that word).

ReputationRep:
    I was the same as Sprout on Microgynon. Just made me so moody all the time and I didn't really wanna spend time with people. I also felt sick all the time after taking it, so I went to the dr after 2-3 months of seeing if it wore off and asked to change. She put me on Loestrin and now it's fine.

ReputationRep:
    Another thing is that with a condom you can see if it hasn't worked - e.g. slipped off or split. With the pill you can't see if you've ovulated.

Using condoms also splits the responsibility between the guy and the girl, either can buy and put on the condom.

ReputationRep:
    Just more moody I think, other than that i've been fine!

ReputationRep:
    I'm still not sure if i've found the right pill for me yet. I'm on my 4th different one now and still feeling all emotional. My main problems with the pill were weight gain and getting really moody or sad for no reason at all, which was really annoying. Just started my new ones though, so gonna see how these ones work out for me.

ReputationRep:
    I think the effect a particular pill has on you is very individual, ie. somebody above said Microgynon gave them mood swings. Im on Microgynon and haven't experienced this although it has reduced my sex drive and not made me put on weight as such, but I have to be more careful about what i eat now whereas before i could eat junk and stay slim as ever.
    Also, just the fact that your putting chemicals into your body and creating artificicial hormone balances, a lot of people don't like the thought of tampering with their body's natural routine.

I could never get into the habit of taking it on a regular basis, it also made me feel incredibly sick after I accidentally tasted it once and then I felt ill everytime I took it and due to the small size I couldn't feel myself swallow it and it always felt like it was stuck in my throat somewhere. I decided to stop taking it for good when I started to feel ill at the though of taking it, this feeling continued to return for months after deciding to not take it anymore.

I'm sure you'd be fine though...

ReputationRep:
    When I ran three packs together I got breakthrough bleeding for three weeks, which absolutely sucked. Also, I tend to get really emotional during my withdrawal week - I think it's the sudden decline in hormones.

But the advantages TOTALLY outweigh the disadvantages!

sounds good then (:

ReputationRep:
    you can still get STI's

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.