Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Shrewsbury, Shropshire and Surroundings To Do's and To See's.... watch

ReputationRep:
    Right...so got a pretty random weekend planned up in Shrewsburys..as one of my mates has a second "get away" home there, and he has hardly spends time there and with us not knowing the area too well...we were wondering if people could suggest things to do and see around the area..

Good suggestions will be +repped!

ReputationRep:
    I think Lodzinski's your man here. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    It depends what you're into really, you could go check out Shrewsbury Castle, the Abbey, Stokesay, Boscobel House or Attingham Park if you want a bit of history. You could also see the world's first iron bridge at Ironbridge (great piece of naming there :rolleyes:).

There's not much in the way of thrill seeking in Shropshire, but we do have some pretty nice countryside and if you're into walking the Stiperstones or the Long Mynd are pretty nice.

There are loads of really great places to eat in Shrewsbury like The Armory and Mad Jack's which are both in the centre. If you want to go clubbing, Liquid in Shrewsbury is good and there are a few others you can hop between.

ReputationRep:
    Live in Shropshire. Lived in Shrewsbury itself a year back. Rednal karting is supposed to be good. As well as karting they have quad biking and hover crafts etc. Check it out: http://www.rednalkarting.co.uk/home.php
    If you are going clubbing make sure that you get yourself to Franks for cocktails, if they are your thing. There is a good club called C21 in Abbey Foregate if you are not of the Liquid variety. For a cheap drink warm up you could go to The Shrewsbury Hotel or Montgomery Tower (both Weatherspoons) or the Hole in the Wall (a mitchells and butler establishment).
    At the end of a night out everyone tends to go to Effies which is by the train station for food. Although various fried chicken type places are conveniently located within stumbling distance of most watering holes.
    For a quieter evening in a restaurant.. I can reccommend Cafe Saffron, near to the weatherspoons pubs. Excellent curry house. Opposite this accross the car parks is The China Rose, quite expensive but very good. Or The Real China in the centre of town, opposite Toni and Guy, buffet about £8 each I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleurvert)
    It depends what you're into really, you could go check out Shrewsbury Castle, the Abbey, Stokesay, Boscobel House or Attingham Park if you want a bit of history. You could also see the world's first iron bridge at Ironbridge (great piece of naming there :rolleyes:).

There's not much in the way of thrill seeking in Shropshire, but we do have some pretty nice countryside and if you're into walking the Stiperstones or the Long Mynd are pretty nice.

There are loads of really great places to eat in Shrewsbury like The Armory and Mad Jack's which are both in the centre. If you want to go clubbing, Liquid in Shrewsbury is good and there are a few others you can hop between.
    She's right, apart from liquid. I thought Liquid turned into a chavy sausage-fest? Where's the 'the place' to go now? Shrewsbury seems to have a weird mix of a wealthier country kids and chavs if I remember rightly.
    I haven't been out in Shrewsbury for a long time though, so things might have changed.

The Long Mynd's definitely an awesome place to go for a walk/camp. Haven't been for yeaaaars.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty Sure Liquid Is Closed Atm, Due To That Bloke Being Killed Outside There The Other Month?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martha!)
    I'm pretty Sure Liquid Is Closed Atm, Due To That Bloke Being Killed Outside There The Other Month?
    You're the first one on TSR i've seen that went to my college

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arteta)
    She's right, apart from liquid. I thought Liquid turned into a chavy sausage-fest? Where's the 'the place' to go now? Shrewsbury seems to have a weird mix of a wealthier country kids and chavs if I remember rightly.
    I haven't been out in Shrewsbury for a long time though, so things might have changed.

The Long Mynd's definitely an awesome place to go for a walk/camp. Haven't been for yeaaaars.
    I live in Wellington so I mainly go out there (if you think Liquid is a chavy sausage-fest, try Pussycats!). I've heard good things about Reflex as well, but it's been a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleurvert)
    I live in Wellington so I mainly go out there (if you think Liquid is a chavy sausage-fest, try Pussycats!). I've heard good things about Reflex as well, but it's been a while.
    Yeah I know Wellington quite well, I was a regular back around when it was just starting up. I can imagine the crowd's not much difference.

Reflex can be fun depending on who you're with. But it seems to be generally the same as every other Reflex, which is kind of an older chavy crowd. My friend loves to go there to pick up '****s' (they're not).

We probably know a bunch of the same people.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know Wellington quite well, I was a regular back around when it was just starting up. I can imagine the crowd's not much difference.

Reflex can be fun depending on who you're with. But it seems to be generally the same as every other Reflex, which is kind of an older chavy crowd. My friend loves to go there to pick up '****s' (they're not).

We probably know a bunch of the same people.
    Fridays and Saturdays at Pussycats are atrocious, Thursday is marginally better (free and coupled with pound a pint night at The Beacon). Jodie Marsh was at Pussycats the other week. :awesome:

Most probably, little changes in Wellington.

ReputationRep:
    *bump*...

Thought the weather forecasts for my trip this forthcoming weekend doesnt look too good...it's still on plan...and still collating ideas...

ReputationRep:
    If your travelling up to Shrewsbury by Train... May I recommend you take the fabulous Wrexham & Shropshire train service... Beautiful journey... really pleasent staff... good value for money... Comfortable Trains

Only downside is that it's a tad slow... but trust me, with the service you get it's worth it... it's much more comfortable than travelling with Arriva Trains Wales or London Midland who to be honest... don't operate the most comfortable or clean of trains...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackfish)
    If your travelling up to Shrewsbury by Train... May I recommend you take the fabulous Wrexham & Shropshire train service... Beautiful journey... really pleasent staff... good value for money... Comfortable Trains

Only downside is that it's a tad slow... but trust me, with the service you get it's worth it... it's much more comfortable than travelling with Arriva Trains Wales or London Midland who to be honest... don't operate the most comfortable or clean of trains...!
    Cheers for the suggestion blackfish...but unfortunately I will be driving up to Shrews!

ReputationRep:
    Any more suggestions lovely people...?

Deffo gotta do a night out in Shrews to experience it...probs Fri/Sat night...and the remainder of the weekend sight seeing and activities really...

Think a shopping trip to Brum may be on the cards too....

ReputationRep:
    You're the first one on TSR i've seen that went to my college
    SSFC FTW?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeester)
    SSFC FTW?
    One of my ex's went there, it was alright. Good performing arts crowd.

TTS FTW!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 6, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.