Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiya peeps. Ive just done the B100 1 Year CertHE Premedical Option at Thames Valley University. Im sure a lot of you already know that this course is exclusively linked with Imperial College London School of Medicine.

If you are considering the course and have any questions or concerns regarding TVU Pre-Medical Option then feel free to ask away. I can only give facts and honest opinions.

ReputationRep:
    Why the angry face?

ReputationRep:
    Why do you have an angry smiley in the title? :wtf:

ReputationRep:
    I heard nobody from the course had ever gotten into Imperial. Is that true?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leemkule)
    Why the angry face?
    Haha, snap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex D)
    Haha, snap
    I imagine it may well have something to do with my post

ReputationRep:
    Thames Valley University is to be closed for Slough Regeneration program.

ReputationRep:
    Why the angry face:

The course is seriously just messed up. The prospectus says that only those with disadvantaged socio-economic background can enter the course. It turned out that loads of students who did the course this year had parents who were doctors/professionals. The current entry requirements for this course is CCD but most who were on the course got AAAA-AAB at A levels. There was even one student who got 18 GCSEs and 7As at A levels (and she got into the course without getting interviewed by the uni coz she got in through clearing late in September).

This course is just a complete lie and a complete waste of money, effort and time. If you were to apply for this course through Clearing...then seriously think again.

Please ask more.

(Original post by startruck)
    The course is seriously just messed up. The prospectus says that only those with disadvantaged socio-economic background can enter the course. It turned out that loads of students who did the course this year had parents who were doctors/professionals. The current entry requirements for this course is CCD but most who were on the course got AAAA-AAB at A levels. There was even one student who got 18 GCSEs and 7As at A levels (and she got into the course without getting interviewed by the uni coz she got in through clearing late in September).
    So you don't like (i) doctor's children, and (ii) intelligent people?

ReputationRep:

Last year (2007-2008 cohort), 4 people initially got offers then Imperial reconsidered 1 girl and eventually got an offer. In total 5 of them secured a place at Imperial having achieved 60% average in both semesters (1 and 2).

This year (results came out last week), 5 people got into Imperial out of 21 students, having attained 70% (they increased the grade boundaries this year coz Imperial felt that students from this course thinks that TVU is just an easy route into medicine).

Please do ask more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OneWayOfLife?)
    Thames Valley University is to be closed for Slough Regeneration program.
    This programme is based in Brentford and Ealing campuses, so its not affected by the Slough Regeneration programme. sorry

ReputationRep:

Last year (2007-2008 cohort), 4 people initially got offers then Imperial reconsidered 1 girl and eventually got an offer. In total 5 of them secured a place at Imperial having achieved 60% average in both semesters (1 and 2).

This year (results came out last week), 5 people got into Imperial out of 21 students, having attained 70% (they increased the grade boundaries this year coz Imperial felt that students from this course thinks that TVU is just an easy route into medicine).

Please do ask more.
    Were you one of them?
    And what do the others do?

ReputationRep:
    This is a pile of ****, nonsense and a bloody joke. Why the hell would imperial take students from TVU with no a-levels when it is rejecting oxbridge students and students with 5 a-levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekpyrotic)
    So you don't like (i) doctor's children, and (ii) intelligent people?
    Ill be polite and entertain that question. This course was set up to give people with disadvantaged background (which affected their A level grades) the chance to pursue a career in medicine.

Imperial favoured those with AAAA-AAB grades into their programme instead. Those people didnt even need to do this course coz they can simply reapply using their A levels.

I was a bit disheartened that they didnt even meet the socio-economic criteria to begin with.

ReputationRep:
    This programme is based in Brentford and Ealing campuses, so its not affected by the Slough Regeneration programme. sorry
    The campus in Slough will still be destroyed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    Were you one of them?
    And what do the others do?
    I did not get into Imperial. They favoured those with As at a levels instead of those who achieved at least 70% in semester 1. And im slightly annoyed that those people who got in dont even have the basic SOCIAL SKILLS needed to be a good doc!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comp_Genius)
    This is a pile of **** and a bloody joke. Why the hell would imperial take students from TVU with no a-levels when it is rejecting oxbridge students and students with 5 a-levels?
    This course is definitely a pile of *** and a bloody joke, but with different reason to yours.

To get into the TVU course, you need at least CCD at A levels. Imperial set up the course with TVU to boost TVUs reputation and help students with disadvantaged background the chance to apply for medicine.

To be fair, its not just about grades. If you have circumstances which affected your A level results, you will understand me.

ReputationRep:
    Why the angry face:

This course is just a complete lie and a complete waste of money, effort and time. If you were to apply for this course through Clearing...then seriously think again.

Please ask more.
    Well if the students on the course have parents who are doctors, they are clearly the opposite of bright. Clearly they've not had a disadvantaged life.

I am skeptical about how someone having 18 GCSEs and 7 A's at A-level would be at TVU..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OneWayOfLife?)
    The campus in Slough will still be destroyed.
    I hope this course gets destroyed though. But knowing that premed option will be available for another 4-5 years...hmmm only time will tell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comp_Genius)
    Well if the students on the course have parents who are doctors, they are clearly the opposite of bright. Clearly they've not had a disadvantaged life.

I am skeptical about how someone having 18 GCSEs and 7 A's at A-level would be at TVU..
    Coz the girl went into a private school and was groomed right at the very early age. Plus she couldnt get into any medical school using the normal entry route so she decided to do this course liked with Imperial so she can maximise her chances of getting in. Everyone on the premed course at TVU didnt enroll coz of the university but because they wanted imperial!

It made me wonder why TVU still took that girl into the course even though one cant get in if youre from a private school/grammar. Its just messed up.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.