Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comp_Genius)
    You're spot on for some issues, but not some. But at least someone understands.

Yes a lot of irrelevant stuff is taught, such as the useless sociology and patient experience courses. Actually I didn't apply to medicine for the money, it doesn't make sense - you earn so little! compared to the most recently graduated city high flyers, even at the time of recession, is earning 2-3 times the amount a FY1 would earn...

I don't believe having an oxbridge degree should give you an edge: we need to have nationalised exams, then you can genuinely differentiate academically who is good and who isn't. It is unfair to give a job to someone just because he's from the golden triangle. It should be achievement based.
    I meant the irrelevant scientific facts you learn. My GP doesn't even remember which blood vessel goes from where to where anymore and I'd say quite a lot of stuff you learn at med school is completely irrelevant later on - just at Oxbridge, they like teaching you more of this stuff. And I think "patient experience courses" can be useful, even if you're talking to patients and don't know your arse from your elbow, it's useful to start early - if you want to be a doctor and not a researcher.

Nationalised exams is a good idea - but you can't really have one without giving some unis advantages and some disadvantages based on the course structure or the way stuff is learnt. For example, Oxbridge learning suits royal college exams, or so I hear... I mean, even the current foundation school allocation system is a bit crazy... I mean, it's highly subjective. It's also useful to remember that, as a doctor, it's not all about "knowing your stuff", "learn one, do one" isn't ok - medicine is an art as well as a science. You should remember that.

And if you're at Cambridge, which I'm not sure you are... but if so, get a pint of real ale at Grantchester sometime!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, to treat illness.

We do agree, they certainly need a lot of training.

Well you would be delusional to think money isn't important. It isn't everything, of course.
    But the fact that youve brought up the issue that oh doctors dont get paid very well is alarming. Why do you even associate money to the profession in the first place.

But all this nonsense about widening access is to enable people to move up social classes, I suspect? YOU tell me people from disadvantaged backgrounds don't go into medicine for money or moving up the social latter at least as one of their reasons. I know they do.
    To be honest, its none of your business. Wanting to move higher to social strata wouldnt affect your fitness to practice med. So its irrelevant. Again, youre such a troll-maker. i officially hate you now.

ReputationRep:
    Yes true - compared to 1.5 billions in housing benefits? hmm. Those who do drop out are likely to go into the city or the big pharma anyway, so they'd make up for it by paying lots and lots of tax...

sorry off topic.
    I don't agree with many government policies - for example, benefits for teenage mums... I have a feeling teenage pregnancy rates will fall drastically if we don't roll out the red carpet treatment everytime. That's besides the point anyway... drop-outs cost a lot of taxpayer's money - it's why medical schools interview and it's so competitive - they don't want anyone to do it - they want people who want to do it, they want people who REALLY WANT to do it - people who won't drop out and who go on to become doctors and to, arguably, give the medical school a good name in what they do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by startruck)
    But the fact that youve brought up the issue that oh doctors dont get paid very well is alarming. Why do you even associate money to the profession in the first place.

To be honest, its none of your business. Wanting to move higher to social strata wouldnt affect your fitness to practice med. So its irrelevant. Again, youre such a troll-maker. i officially hate you now.
    It's hypocritical, because everyone wants to be richer and a higher social status.

And you don't associate medicine with higher status?

And wanting to be rich, which I will not be by being a doctor, wouldn't affect my fitness to practice medicine either.

ReputationRep:
    Thames Valley and Imperial.

Yuck, I puked a little in my mouth.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, not everyone goes into medical school with the aim of joining MSF. In fact, I don't think the government would be very happy if you did :p:

That said, you don't want a "brain drain", so the pay can't be terrible. Personally, if medicine wasn't paid so well, I'd still do it - I'm not sure everyone would though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hubba Me Up)
    Thames Valley and Imperial.

Yuck, I puked a little in my mouth.
    TVU still carries its 'reputation':rolleyes: . Avoid the course like a plague coz the course is a complete lie. Dont waste 3K tuition loan coz its not worth it.

I hope everyone who is considering TVU premed reads this: Find another route!

ReputationRep:
    It's hypocritical, because everyone wants to be richer and a higher social status.

And wanting to be rich, which I will not be by being a doctor, wouldn't affect my fitness to practice medicine either.
    No, not everyone wants to be richer... or to have a "higher social status".

If I can live comfortably, I'm happy. If I'm on 30k a year all of my life, I'm fine with that. And I wouldn't associate medicine with a higher status - I never have and I never will and from what I saw, they aren't treated very well by patients or their families at times :p: Medical students aren't a cut above the rest - neither are doctors.

Oh and also, wanting to be rich and medicine?? It depends - it can affect your fitness to practice if being rich is an overriding factor as to why you did medicine. I mean, if I ever have a car crash, I don't want to lie down in theatre, about to be "put to sleep", knowing i'm going to be operated on by a surgeon who's doing it to get rich...

ReputationRep:
    Oh really? Source please?:confused:

Where did I say that? Dont make up such stories coz it aint funny!

How can we be sure about that?:rolleyes: In the last five minutes all you were typing was about money and status. Now youre the hypocrite!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    No, not everyone wants to be richer... or to have a "higher social status".

If I can live comfortably, I'm happy. If I'm on 30k a year all of my life, I'm fine with that. And I wouldn't associate medicine with a higher status - I never have and I never will and from what I saw, they aren't treated very well by patients or their families at times :p: Medical students aren't a cut above the rest - neither are doctors.

Oh and also, wanting to be rich and medicine?? It depends - it can affect your fitness to practice if being rich is an overriding factor as to why you did medicine. I mean, if I ever have a car crash, I don't want to lie down in theatre, about to be "put to sleep", knowing i'm going to be operated on by a surgeon who's doing it to get rich...
    Sure. I disagree - it doesn't affect his competency. In fact, he might even do a better job than most, because if he wants to be rich, his reputation and not just his patients' lives are at risk, so he'll do his very best. It doesn't affect his competency in any way, not more than a doctor who wanted to do medicine to move up the social hierarchy.

ReputationRep:
    Sure. I disagree - it doesn't affect his competency. In fact, he might even do a better job than most, because if he wants to be rich, his reputation and not just his patients' lives are at risk, so he'll do his very best. It doesn't affect his competency in any way, not more than a doctor who wanted to do medicine to move up the social hierarchy.
    It affects his competency if he rushes the job - and someone doing medicine for the wrong reasons... may well rush the job.

ReputationRep:
    Oh really? Source please?:confused:

Where did I say that? Dont make up such stories coz it aint funny!

How can we be sure about that?:rolleyes: In the last five minutes all you were typing was about money and status. Now youre the hypocrite!
    Sorry, second point was meant to be a question.

Well, I never said it isn't about money and status. But medicine isn't the ideal job if you want them that badly. Yes I admit it is part of why I want to do medicine, but I fail to see why wanting some status and want to help people are mutually exclusive. They are not. Yes, I want money, but doing medicine is not the reason for it, because my friends who are other jobs are doing much better than doctors.

ReputationRep:
    TVU still carries its 'reputation':rolleyes: . Avoid the course like a plague coz the course is a complete lie. Dont waste 3K tuition loan coz its not worth it.

I hope everyone who is considering TVU premed reads this: Find another route!
    Exactly this, TVU makes me sick to the core, sorry!

It's hardly a uni!

ReputationRep:
    It affects his competency if he rushes the job - and someone doing medicine for the wrong reasons... may well rush the job.
    Okay I agree. But then doctors rush jobs for reasons other than wanting money I guess.... yes I agree, any doctor who compromising patient safety need to be sacked and struck off.

ReputationRep:
    Like YOU! Sorry that had to be said:p:
    Luckily for the future would be traffic accident victim, I'm not going into surgery.

ReputationRep:
    I think all this access scheme and positive discrimination are all wrong. I apologise if I sound stuck up, but all this stuff gets on my nerves!
    Buuuuuuuuuut...well done for being ihardworking on your own, but the fact is, most people aren't. People with an IQ of 145 can be completely unproductive if in the wrong atmosphere, and with most people its true. And the funny thing is, if 90% of the people from private schools had been in a state school, they would have probably got lower grades because no-one was motivating them to work. If everyone had so much motivation to self study, then there'd be no need for Access programmes or private schools either. Plus, some people need an actual explanation for some subjects; my maths teacher was awful so I went on websites, but even writing can't explain things well enough.

ReputationRep:
    I must add that it's not because I rush things, but because I lack stamina. So maybe stuff like microsurgery... otherwise no, I'd die.

ReputationRep:
    Luckily for the future would be traffic accident victim, I'm not going into surgery.
    Appologies. I thought it was comp genius' post. I beg your pardon. I was referring to him.:o:

ReputationRep:
    Appologies. I thought it was comp genius' post. I beg your pardon. I was referring to him.:o:
    My posts are a bit hard to miss, seeing as they are preceded by highly graphic pictures of a dancing penguin from happy feet :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hubba Me Up)
    Exactly this, TVU makes me sick to the core, sorry!

It's hardly a uni!
    I agree. I spent 10 months enduring that place! And it should be rebranded as: Thames valley for the aged or Thames valley college!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.