Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by startruck)
    You dont seem to acknowledge others' opinions, so why would I acknowledge yours! Oh and do keep your advice to yourself as I dont need it...not from you anyway! Youve been soo harsh to me and I shant forgive you!:mad:
    Look, I'm sorry you didn't get into Imperial but it doesn't surprise me too much if this is your attitude. My opinions differ greatly from Comp_Genius's, but in his post (to which the above quote was your reply) he was reasonable and admitted he'd gone overboard. The least you could have done is drop the slightly petulant attitude... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    You know if you just stopped replying he would go away...

In your opinion, should someone who had AAA but who was from a disadvantaged background get in to this course? Its just there is a lot of talk about grades when i thought the point was about where these students are from.
    For crying out loud man, don't put everybody's name in your sig...

Well, unless they've all agreed to let you do it :p:

ReputationRep:
    You know if you just stopped replying he would go away...

In your opinion, should someone who had AAA but who was from a disadvantaged background get in to this course? Its just there is a lot of talk about grades when i thought the point was about where these students are from.
    No, because they can easily apply to medical schools without the TVU course. Believe me, those with AAAAs in my course this year didnt even have a single extenuating circumstances at all. Its hard to believe but TVU is a business afterall, and money is money. They will take anyone who is willing enough to do the course. They dont really care about those without the As even though the course preaches that its only for those who have poor background. It even states on the prospectus that you cant be admitted if you meet the standard entry requirement needed for direct application into medicine.

ReputationRep:
    No, because they can easily apply to medical schools without the TVU course. Believe me, those with AAAAs in my course this year didnt even have a single extenuating circumstances at all. Its hard to believe but TVU is a business afterall, and money is money. They will take anyone who is willing enough to do the course. They dont really care about those without the As even though the course preaches that its only for those who have poor background. It even states on the prospectus that you cant be admitted if you meet the standard entry requirement needed for direct application into medicine.

But i mean, someone might be from an appropriate background, get the grades but still not get in (as a lot of people do), i can't see a moral issue with them getting in .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex D)
    Look, I'm sorry you didn't get into Imperial but it doesn't surprise me too much if this is your attitude. My opinions differ greatly from Comp_Genius's, but in his post (to which the above quote was your reply) he was reasonable and admitted he'd gone overboard. The least you could have done is drop the slightly petulant attitude... :rolleyes:
    Please remember that you can be very different 'offline'. This is a forum where anyone can be whatever they want to be so if you think my attitude on this forum isnt good then I can assure you that Im completely the opposite offline. Its just that comp-genius set me off lol. Im an angel really.

ReputationRep:
    The sig...

ReputationRep:
    But i mean, someone might be from an appropriate background, get the grades but still not get in (as a lot of people do), i can't see a moral issue with them getting in .
    Look, this course was set up to give those students without the As the chance to prove to themselves that they have the academic potential to do medicine.

If someone with As in hand still dont manage to get into medical school then that only means that something (apart from his/her academics) is lacking e.g. work experience, ukcat or PS, etc.

There are only 5-6 places for imperial for this course, so why be soo greedy and take away that place from someone who got the 70% but cannot apply through the ordinary route?

The course doesnt stick to its rules, its just messed up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    I've skimmed through your posts on this thread and I understand what you're saying to an extent but please remember that it doesn't work that way for everybody.
    Sure, you managed to push through and acheive academically - maybe you're just built of stronger stuff, I don't know.

But I'm from what is deemed a 'disadvantaged background'- single parent family, minimum wage, living in a deprived crime ridden area and I attended a ****** comp. I had the brains to achieve academically but my surroundings and a lot of thing that happened to me (family divorce, violence/abuse) made it absolutely impossible for me to get the top grades.

I was interviewed for BM6 (Soton) and met all their critera, but I didn't make it past interview. My A-levels/GCSE's aren't abysmal but they could have been so much better had I had a stable home and a safe environment so please don't speak on every 'disadvantaged' persons behalf.

I just thought I'd express a viewpoint from another perspective :yes:
    No need to justify yourself to anyone - just kept on doing what you're doing and you'll get there eventually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    For crying out loud man, don't put everybody's name in your sig...

Well, unless they've all agreed to let you do it :p:
    Well, i want to encourage people to ask away and thought putting the names of people that have asked questions would achieve that. I haven't asked them no, , didn't think they'd mind! May delete it - transition phase atm!

ReputationRep:
    Startruck I can see your point in some senses, but I also think that 90% of the problem is you thought your course was a free passport into a medical career when it clearly wasn't. Not being harsh, but every year thousands of people get turned away from med schools who have gone through rubbish but were equally as good candidates - it happens. When it comes to medicine not everyone deserving gets a place just because there isnt that many places, simple as.

You chose the course, and expected that you'd automatically get in when really, the website makes it clear that this option will only be available for a minority of students. I personally think 7 people out of 21 gaining a place is actually very good and does show that some people are giving the oportunity!

I think its good you are publicising the negatives of the course, but there are obviously some people who will be very happy with their year and the outcome and I think people should bare that in mind.

ReputationRep:
    Please remember that you can be very different 'offline'. This is a forum where anyone can be whatever they want to be so if you think my attitude on this forum isnt good then I can assure you that Im completely the opposite offline. Its just that comp-genius set me off lol. Im an angel really.
    Yeah that's true. Reading my post back makes me sound like an insensitive jackass which I promise you I'm not :p: Good luck with your medical applications, hope they work out

ReputationRep:
    Look, this course was set up to give those students without the As the chance to prove to themselves that they have the academic potential to do medicine.

If someone with As in hand still dont manage to get into medical school then that only means that something (apart from his/her academics) is lacking e.g. work experience, ukcat or PS, etc.

There are only 5-6 places for imperial for this course, so why be soo greedy and take away that place from someone who got the 70% but cannot apply through the ordinary route?

hmm, maybe. As long as the course is as stringent about other criteria such as work experience as a medical school would be i can see a case for it excluding those with high grades. I doubt that could happen though - TVU would have no experience with medical apps .

Out of interest, how do you apply to imperial btw? Is it just your result, grades, and interview? Or are you just effectively applying again with the exception of grades?

Yes, i can see the course seems to be messed up!

ReputationRep:
    Well, i want to encourage people to ask away and thought putting the names of people that have asked questions would achieve that. I haven't asked them no, , didn't think they'd mind! May delete it - transition phase atm!
    Well, if I had asked I wouldn't want my name in a sig, but maybe I think differently to everyone else :p: Just what I think anyway.

You could just say many people have asked before so you won't be the first... or the last, or something :p:

ReputationRep:
    hmm, maybe. As long as the course is as stringent about other criteria such as work experience as a medical school would be i can see a case for it excluding those with high grades. I doubt that could happen though - TVU would have no experience with medical apps .

Out of interest, how do you apply to imperial btw? Is it just your result, grades, and interview? Or are you just effectively applying again with the exception of grades?

Yes, i can see the course seems to be messed up!
    Oh the procedure goes like this:

1)Apply to B100 through UCAS

2) If your application if considered, theyll give you an interview.

3)Youll be interviewed by a panel member from ICSM and a lecturer at TVU.

4) IF you get in, you start the course in September. You apply through UCAS through TVU.

5)If you get 70% in semester 1 (youll be guaranteed an interview at imperial). If you get an offer, you need to get 70% again in semester 2 to get unconditional offer.

During the exclusive Imperial Open Day, the professor specifically said that once you get 70% your A levels wont be taken into account anymore coz 70% is just as good as getting As at AS level. The course is rigorous and it definitely is not easy. I was aware of this right before I applied having spoken to previous TVU students. Most of them share the same feeling as what Im feeling now having done the course. *sighs*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollymustard)
    Startruck I can see your point in some senses, but I also think that 90% of the problem is you thought your course was a free passport into a medical career when it clearly wasn't. Not being harsh, but every year thousands of people get turned away from med schools who have gone through rubbish but were equally as good candidates - it happens. When it comes to medicine not everyone deserving gets a place just because there isnt that many places, simple as.

You chose the course, and expected that you'd automatically get in when really, the website makes it clear that this option will only be available for a minority of students. I personally think 7 people out of 21 gaining a place is actually very good and does show that some people are giving the oportunity!

I think its good you are publicising the negatives of the course, but there are obviously some people who will be very happy with their year and the outcome and I think people should bare that in mind.
    Hey, I think im starting to get over it now.

I just would like to say that never did I think that it will be an easy ticket into medicine at imperial coz I was already aware of the course modules and amount of work that needed to be done having spoken to current TVU premedics before I applied.
    YEs, I want to advertise how crap this course is and people who wants to apply for this course through extra/clearing should really think carefully and exhaust all options before commiting yourself at tvu.

ReputationRep:

I take your point.

But I hope you realise that this course already offers positive discrimination for people who are less privileged already? There are candidates with 4 A's at A-levels and who still get rejected.

Sure, an underprivileged person may have worked harder to get the grades, but I don't think it's fair to give all the medical places to the less privileged because they've had to work harder: it boils down to whether one applicant is more deserving than another. On reflection I think positive discrimination of some sort is fair, but not excessive: it boils down to whether deserving a place is absolute or relative.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going out for my blood meal, I'll catch you mortals later!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comp_Genius)
    I take your point.

But I hope you realise that this course already offers positive discrimination for people who are less privileged already? There are candidates with 4 A's at A-levels and who still get rejected.
    What the flying *** is your problem! You dont get it; Those with 4As clearly werent underpriviledged and didnt have any kind of extenuating circumstances but still got into imperial! Youre on thin ice!

(Original post by Comp_Genius)
    Sure, an underprivileged person may have worked harder to get the grades, but I don't think it's fair to give all the medical places to the less privileged because they've had to work harder: it boils down to whether one applicant is more deserving than another. On reflection I think positive discrimination of some sort is fair, but not excessive: it boils down to whether deserving a place is absolute or relative.
    Then why cant that applicant with As apply directly for medicine if s/he believe s/he is deserving enough for a place? Why dont they leave the TVU to people with genuine circumstance who needed the course more than them?! Besides they didnt come from underpriviledged background at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    I'm going out for my blood meal, I'll catch you mortals later!
    Laters. Suck hard.:p: I kid I kid.

ReputationRep:
    What the flying *** is your problem! You dont get it; Those with 4As clearly werent underpriviledged and didnt have any kind of extenuating circumstances but still got into imperial! Youre on thin ice!

Then why cant that applicant with As apply directly for medicine if s/he believe s/he is deserving enough for a place? Why dont they leave the TVU to people with genuine circumstance who needed the course more than them?! Besides they didnt come from underpriviledged background at all.
    I don't know the full facts of the people who were on the TVU course and were subsequently accepted into the medical course. I suspect they must have extenuating circumstances like yourself but maybe they didn't say? Of course there is a chance that TVU could be breaking the own rules, but I think it is less likely, because if they openly accept people who don't have extenuating circumstances, that defeats the point of the course (which is what you've been saying), but worse, it gives them bad publicity if the media finds out.

May I add that the more privileged 4-A grade students wouldn't normally be doing this course even if they were rejected from all medical schools. There are alternative and better courses, say biology courses at more respectable universities. They can always reapply next year. Spending one year on this course which isn't a degree course isn't exactly the best choice you have, unless you are truly underprivileged and do not have alternatives.

Edit: wouldn't these applicants also have a higher chance of reapplying through UCAS compared to doing this TVU course? That way they can apply to 4 medschools, compared to just one.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.