Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lost all my friends because I don't drink Watch

Anon or delete.

I finished school this year (18 years old) and am going to university in september. I went to an all boys school and never drank alcohol. I was fine with friends up until sixth form when people started drinking more and more. In year 13, when people were turning 18, almost every weekend they would go out and get hammered/wasted. On Facebook, all their photos involve either drinking/parties or exotic holidays and because I don't like drinking, I became more and more isolated from people and was even teased for not drinking or going out to get wasted on my 18th. Basically all their get-togethers involve drink.

Whats worse is I think this will continue at university. I hear all these stories about uni being a chance where people can get p*ssed out of their minds every night. I already became very lonely in my final year of school and was teased. Will the same happen at uni? Will there be masses of pressure on me to drink and if I don't, will I have very few friends?

Sorry for the long intro but I really need all the help I can get.

ReputationRep:
    What are your reasons for not drinking ?

ReputationRep:
    A) Contrary to popular belief, university is not just centred around drinking as much as possible.
    B) You can go out and not drink.
    C) Many people are teetotal, for a variety of reasons, make them your friends!

ReputationRep:
    you wont really have a problem in university. you can go to college bars and have something non-alcoholic, so it really doesnt matter if you dont. Personally i like you for it, because i dont drink either and im 18

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you go out and not drink? I always used to be the driver and people loved that they didn't have to get a taxi or drive/not drink themselves. I still had really fun nights though so it shouldn't be too bad. And when I get to uni, I can't drink that much because I can't handle it. I wouldn't be too worried, as long as you don't be prudish about it.

ReputationRep:
    You seriously don't think that you are the only one who is going to university who doesn't drink.

There must be plenty of teetotallers and the thing is, everyone understands that not everyone wants to get hammered every night, therefore you can still be friends with drinkers and non-drinkers alike.

Btw, I don't drink either. *high 5*

(Original post by Deano88)
    What are your reasons for not drinking ?
    I don't like the taste and I don't like what it does to your body both physically and emotionally.

I can drink alcohol a bit but I won't drink much at all and I am very fussy about what I drink, which never went down well with people on the odd occasions I did go to parties.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you're in a bad situation. Alcohol numbs the pain.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, don't let alcohol stop you from joining in on nights out. I go out with people from uni and a couple of folk that always are out don't drink. They seem to have as good a time as the rest of us that do.

ReputationRep:
    oh stop being so melodramatic, university is not simply one huge drink fest.

ReputationRep:
    Dont worry i go out with my mates and hardly ever drink due to the fact am only 17 and one of the few that can drive. I still have a good time even when i'm sober, when am 18 however that's gonna be a different story

ReputationRep:
    If people are willing to desert you just 'cos you don't drink, they're not very good friends.

I've been at Uni a year, and people at my University do drink, a lot. However, I went through a phase of a month of not wanting to drink (personal reasons), and no-one had any qualms about it. During boozy nights, some would sit it out with me to keep me company, and when I did hit the bottle again, it was at my own pace.

People at Uni might be boozehounds, but they are generally also very understanding, tolerant people.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Those who teased/bullied you for not drinking weren't your friends !. Friends don't do that. You shouldn't have problems finding firends , just find the righ group of people ?. Not ones that pester you because you don't drink.

I reckon you can have a lot more fun on a night out without gettin drunk. Also you will be more healthy than them , alcohol is bad for you , seeing as you don't drink it you're definitly going to be better of in the long run

have a good day !

I hope all goes well

Maximum Velocity

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to go out and drink.

ReputationRep:
    if they didn't understand your reasons for not drinking, they weren't your friends in the first place

ReputationRep:
    no worries, just be yourself...if you surround yourself with responsible, friendly mature people, they won't care whether you drink or not.

ReputationRep:
    you don't have to go and drink, many universities have societies for people such as yourself, teetotal/sober socs. I might recommend that you join this, but also university is about learning from boozy mistakes and getting as much partying out of your system, you have plenty of time to be sensible after uni, so even if you don't drink like the rest of the baboons at uni, then at least allow yourself to go crazy just once... I don't think a once a month sesh did anyone too much harm!

ReputationRep:
    wel at leastyour freind will get cancer and yu will be cancer free enjoy good health i dont drink, never will, i know te health risks,

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it'll make much of a difference - you can still go out even if you don't drink, and proper mates won't care at all. I don't drink either, for the same reasons as you, but it doesn't worry me. You'll be fine. (:

ReputationRep:
    The reason why i'm not going to get pissed every weekend here, it's because of the money :/
    I'lll be doing an Erasmus and I'll be saving every penny to play tourist

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 29, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.