Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lost all my friends because I don't drink watch

ReputationRep:
    Are they really worth having if they mock you for not drinking? No, dont think so.

ReputationRep:
    Going to university think Girls..

What I mean by that is that you went to an all boys school, a large proportion like drinking and going out, women of course do but perhaps not quite s much as men. You will find loads of people like you who don't like drinking at uni, I'm sure you will settle in fine.

ReputationRep:
    Go out and don't drink, and stop making it an issue? If you go out and then criticise everyone else for drinking people will probably ditch you, if you just drink non-alcoholic drinks people won't make it a big deal.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt that if people get pissed every night at uni that they will even get a degree.

ReputationRep:
    Don't drink too much either... hate the taste and when I drink too much I end up feeling depressed and moody. That's just my reaction... it's a bit weird I suppose...

Anyway I'm starting uni in Sept too... I was sort of worried about it as well but by the sounds of it we're not going to have much of an issue in fitting in. I suppose all you can do is go out, enjoy yourself and stay sober (also, stay much more financially stable than your friends!!) Pity that you've suffered at school though... Those people can't honestly have been real friends if they'd ditch you cause you didn't get hammered... what a stupid reason.

I had atleast one friend last year who would stay sober for me when I was out just to keep me company. It made me feel guilty but I got used to it towards the end... People at university won't do that for you I'm positive... I'm going to miss them! But I guess the only way forward for me is to adapt. You'll just have to learn to go out a a little bit more. I think it's cool that you don't drink.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Anon or delete.

...because I don't like drinking, I became more and more isolated from people and was even teased for not drinking or going out to get wasted on my 18th. Basically all their get-togethers involve drink.
    You shouldn't worry. Going out doesn't necessarily mean getting hammered. I have a friend who doesn't drink at all and still goes out with us all the time. While we drink alcohol she drinks coke or whatever. We still end up having a good time. Go out with your friends!

ReputationRep:
    there not very good mates if they dont respect your decision to not drink! its up to you be yourself!

ReputationRep:
    you could have still went out and not drank

ReputationRep:
    annon i dont drink, i never have. il also be going to uni this year but im not the least bit conscious.
    just remember, its u that has decided not to drink. thr4 to ur stick to ur standards.

ReputationRep:
    i dont reckon its cuz u dont drink.. i reckon its because u dont go out with them because u feeel u shud be drinking to join in.
    If u joined in without drinking tehy can be your friends.. or find friends who also dont enjopy drinking.. there is people out there u dont drink u no.

or just go out and get hammered and live yr life.. u might enjoy it :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I gave up drinking about 6 months ago, it never really agreed with me but my tolerance went down to the point where I felt like puking after 1-2 drinks. I still go out as normal, I just drink soft drinks or fruit juice when I'm out. It's also great being able to hop on my bike and cycle home after a night out because I'm not drunk.

It's perfectly possible to have a normal student life without drinking, I know quite a few people who rarely if ever drank while at uni and they had just as good a social life as anyone, and none of the stinking hangovers.

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8159813.stm

I don't think you want to end up like him.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 21 and you could probably fit all the alcoholic liquid I've consumed in my life into a 330ml can. I don't personally see the problem with it.

ReputationRep:
    You can go out and not drink and have a good time so not drinking shouldn't be an excuse not to have a social life. I do drink but sometimes I've gone out and chosen not to have any alcohol and still had a great night.

As others have said, out of the x amount of people going to your uni, it won't just be you who's teetotal.

ReputationRep:
    I am also 21 and the most I have drunk would probably fit into a plastic cup x.x;
    Cola is a heck of a lot better in my opinion :woo:

If a friend drinks, they shouldn't make you drink against your will. It is bad on their part.

ReputationRep:
    Not drinking isn't a bad thing. I don't do it. And besides...they really werent your friends if they couldn't accept you for who you are. Don't worry yourself. You'll have friends at university - I can assure you this. You don't do what you think is not right for you. Never succumb to peer pressure for that is the greatest weakness. Good luck.

Kind regards,
    Rikesh

ReputationRep:
    I know people for whom their not drinking is a talking point.

"You don't drink? REALLY? What are you drinking now? So no alcohol at all? Have you ever had alcohol? So you won't even have a sip? None at all? Not even beer?"

It makes me laugh that people find people who don't drink surprising :p: As long as you stay fun when you go out then I can't see why it would be a problem. If your friends NEED drink to have a good time then you're in a better position, frankly. Prove to them that you're just as much fun without it

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, also...people seem more inclined to buy you drinks when they are non-alcoholic.

Was in the pub the other day for quite a number of hours, and didn't pay a single penny as I was only having Coke.

ReputationRep:
    Then they are not true friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Anon or delete.

I finished school this year (18 years old) and am going to university in september. I went to an all boys school and never drank alcohol. I was fine with friends up until sixth form when people started drinking more and more. In year 13, when people were turning 18, almost every weekend they would go out and get hammered/wasted. On Facebook, all their photos involve either drinking/parties or exotic holidays and because I don't like drinking, I became more and more isolated from people and was even teased for not drinking or going out to get wasted on my 18th. Basically all their get-togethers involve drink.

Whats worse is I think this will continue at university. I hear all these stories about uni being a chance where people can get p*ssed out of their minds every night. I already became very lonely in my final year of school and was teased. Will the same happen at uni? Will there be masses of pressure on me to drink and if I don't, will I have very few friends?

Sorry for the long intro but I really need all the help I can get.
    I quite often go out and not get drunk or even have any alcohol at all. You can still have a good time without the effects of the poison in your bloodstream.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 29, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.