Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lost all my friends because I don't drink Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Anon or delete.

I finished school this year (18 years old) and am going to university in september. I went to an all boys school and never drank alcohol. I was fine with friends up until sixth form when people started drinking more and more. In year 13, when people were turning 18, almost every weekend they would go out and get hammered/wasted. On Facebook, all their photos involve either drinking/parties or exotic holidays and because I don't like drinking, I became more and more isolated from people and was even teased for not drinking or going out to get wasted on my 18th. Basically all their get-togethers involve drink.

Whats worse is I think this will continue at university. I hear all these stories about uni being a chance where people can get p*ssed out of their minds every night. I already became very lonely in my final year of school and was teased. Will the same happen at uni? Will there be masses of pressure on me to drink and if I don't, will I have very few friends?

Sorry for the long intro but I really need all the help I can get.
    I'm exactly the same as you, apart from im 17 and still in college. lots of people say i'm mad because i'm teetotoal/don't like drinking and they tend not to ask me to go out with them because of it. all my friends love getting wasted on fridays/saturdays too. i'm worried about going to uni because i don't drink as well and hear all these crazy stories. But being a non-drinker is nothing to be ashamed about! There are still lots of ways to have fun which don't include alcohol!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 29, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.