13.07%
    Welsh
    7.54%
    Irish
    6.53%
    None
    7.04%

ReputationRep:
    Scottish and British. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allthewayhome)
    No, it just my local sensibilities bursting to the surface and not the word itself.

The only time you will here a local coatbridgian(my home town) calling someone "staunch" around the this particular time in July is someones faith and commitment to the Orange order.

Usually the comparison is made between a "stauch orangeman or protestant" (though both are not mutually inclusive) and "devout catholic" in the media/local chitchat but in a sign of protest my dad wanted to be referred to as a staunch catholic since he thought it was daft that these contrived phrases are always be hurled about with little thought or redress and I must agree that he's right. The media always seem to make a meal out of something or label/"pigeon hole" everyone.

Tis very silly. You'll probs not get it but I'm afraid that's what happens when you live in the goldfish bowl that is the west of Scotland
    I kinda get it. I always think of the word "catholic" when I hear "devout". It's almost like the word "desperate"'s long affiliation with the toilet.

ReputationRep:
    British, but only because I'm only Half English. If both my parents were English, I'd probably say that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    I kinda get it. I always think of the word "catholic" when I hear "devout". It's almost like the word "desperate"'s long affiliation with the toilet.
    Yep that's the idea!

It's a damn stereotype - I honestly believe that some Protestants hear the word devout catholic and immediately think they are down right impossible people to get along with. Staunch definitely cast those aspersions on Protestants.

Downright annoys me to no end.

Why can't you get a Catholic without the devout? I ain't devout and certainly couldn't put you on phone to a staunch protestant! :p:

Edit: Sorry for the threads Hijakc guys!

ReputationRep:
    I usually say I'm Welsh before British, but I consider myself as both

Ruth xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusilero)
    Just a simple question, what do you consider to be your primary ethnicity , if any of them. Myself, I consider myself British first before anything else. :yes:

this post annoys me in ways you will never understand.

ReputationRep:
    For me it just always seems that when people say British, particularly foreigners, they really mean English.

I can see how I am British but It doesn't mean much to me. Neither does being Scottish.

I'm not very patriotic.

ReputationRep:
    I'm English and Irish (ROI) so what do I chose?

Okay, I chose British.

But, when I meet someone I always say I'm English (born and raised), never British.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    this post annoys me in ways you will never understand.
    Nah, I'm pretty sure I get it really. :o:

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I'm pretty sure I get it really. :o:
    ARG. thread number 1 million full of idiots.

There's a reason why chose to go to university in Scotland instead of England.

ReputationRep:
    British far above any other national identity - although I'd probably consider my Surrey identity to be almost as important.

I have a much stronger connection to Scotland than I do to the north of England, so I wouldn't consider myself to be truly 'English' in the same way that I consider myself to be British.

ReputationRep:
    indian =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    ARG. thread number 1 million full of idiots.

There's a reason why chose to go to university in Scotland instead of England.
    If they are being idiots then fair play but you can't really fault people for professing a preference or belief in a particular view.

No matter how up the wall it drives you :p:

Tbh I don't take nationality to be so definitive.
    I'm just the sum of many parts of different ancestries so for me to pigeon hole myself to one title over another would be like ignore part of myself.

So British-Scottish-Irish-Lithuanian it is. All for one and one for all...

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I don't take nationality to be so definitive.
    Spoiler:
    Show

NO SURRENDER!

:awesome:

In the scope of thing what does this sense of nationality actually add to our lives?

Not a philosophical,provoking question or malicious question.Just wanting to see some opinions from people who feel a particular national identity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThisLittlePiggy)
    Spoiler:
    Show

NO SURRENDER!

:awesome:

In the scope of thing what does this sense of nationality actually add to our lives?

Not a philosophical,provoking question or malicious question.Just wanting to see some opinions from people who feel a particular national identity.
    Don't worry - I want let my popery rub off on you!

ReputationRep:
    English
    Even more so after a year at uni in Wales

ReputationRep:
    I consider myself to be Welsh and British, but primarily I'll introduce myself to people as being Welsh

I suppose I think of myself as Northern Irish before anything else. It's an entirely artificial nationality, true enough, but if you go far enough back so is anything else, and we do have an occasionally world-beating football team.

ReputationRep:
    I know I'm British but yeah I'd say English.
    I don't have any connection with the Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish and I also have the feeling that SOME(minority) of them really don't like England.

ReputationRep:
    I say british/black british

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.