None
    7.04%

ReputationRep:
    scottish

ReputationRep:
    Irish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beige_Angel)
    Well every time I or someone else claims to be English on TSR some idiot says that I can't call myself that unless I or one of my parents is English, preferably both.
    Yes, and that person is, as you said, an idiot. Ignore comments like that, and don't let it lead you to believe that your genes or your blood are in any way associated with your nationality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by youes25)
    Society relies upon so called 'concepts' such as money and borders to sustain itself. This is hardly a case of mass delusion, currency is the result of a long process of societal development and competition between states has shaped the world we live in today. Society itself, our ability to organise ourselves in a coherent yet complex way, is one of humanities greatest achievements.

Furthermore, borders are very real, they separate different groupings of people from one another, often people who have developed their own cultural identity over the course of history. The borders define where one group ends and another begins, and our collective achievement in creating a largely stable world where borders are respected and peace is maintained (particularly in Europe) is to be commended. Just look into the past, the world was not always as stable as it is today.
    Lol. You're not getting it at all.

Money has almost zero value. It is paper, it is metal strips, it is ink. If you attempted to sell a 100 quid note based on the value of its physical attributes, you would get far less than £1. Paper bills only have value that we place on it. Paper bills are representations of value. If only some people in the UK agreed to pretend that a £100 note was about equivalent in value to, say, an iPod, whilst others didn't, then the whole system of exchange and consumerism in the country would break down. The exchange system in this countries relies that ALL people in the country pretend that paper money is actually worth whatever is printed on the bill.

The same goes for borders. There is absolutely NO physical border which separates my country from yours. Borders do not exist in the real world, they are imaginary lines that exist on maps, and they are supposed to represent a differentiation between one 'nation' and another. The shape of a border and the shape of the land it encloses has absolutely no effect on the people who live inside, except perhaps environmental ones, but not cultural.

If you truly believe that borders mark a difference between distinct subsets of people, you are extremely ignorant indeed.

If you honestly believe that, then you must also believe that the town of Berwick is split down the middle by two completely different cultures and attitudes. Ridiculous.

The border of Scotland could easily extend further into Northern England, or retreat further North, giving the lowlands to the 'English'. But this would matter not a jot. The culture of the people would not change as the border swept past them.

ReputationRep:
    I would say British as I have English, Scottish and Irish blood.

london

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    ARG. thread number 1 million full of idiots.

There's a reason why chose to go to university in Scotland instead of England.
    Because you're a bigot?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Because you're a bigot?
    Naturally

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Because you're a bigot?
    Thanks for the neg rep. You take yourself faaar too seriously.

ReputationRep:
    I'd consider myself English, it's just a shame the kind of people it associates me with

ReputationRep:
    Let my people go.

Thats all i have to say on the matter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    Thanks for the neg rep. You take yourself faaar too seriously.
    Firstly, I'd hardly say giving someone neg rep on a forum is an example of taking something seriously. Secondly, I do take real bigotry and prejudice seriously when I see it.

I'd say British over English, but I don't really care.

(Original post by PJ991)
    This is on the UCAS form, the options are British, English, Welsh and Scottish.

It made me think.
    I put "prefer not to say" in both national identity and ethnic origin, in protest at the fact that they're asking that question and caring about the result. Clearly some form of unfair discrimination is taking place if this question forms a part of the UCAS application.

(I'm white and British, if you're interested.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Firstly, I'd hardly say giving someone neg rep on a forum is an example of taking something seriously. Secondly, I do take real bigotry and prejudice seriously when I see it.
    HAHAHA right you think I'm seriously bigoted and prejudiced? As you say it is only an internet forum, and of course your judgement is correct because I do regulary scorn and ridicule my English/Other nationality patients. My English flatmates have to tell me to calm down once in a while. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    HAHAHA right you think I'm seriously bigoted and prejudiced?
    That is precisely what the comments you made suggested. I asked you to justify or explain them, and instead of doing so you made a silly joke. If there was any misunderstanding, it is entirely your fault.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    That is precisely what the comments you made suggested. I asked you to justify or explain them, and instead of doing so you made a silly joke. If there was any misunderstanding, it is entirely your fault.
    I saw little point of explaning myself to you. Obviously you have already made your mind up. Next time you neg rep someone have the balls to say it was you.

Conversation over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    I saw little point of explaning myself to you. Obviously you have already made your mind up. Next time you neg rep someone have the balls to say it was you.

Conversation over.
    Fine. Quite why you then decided to ***** about it, I don't know.

Are you seriously suggesting I'm scared to put my name on neg rep? Ooooh, terrifying! I didn't do it for two reasons, firstly I couldn't be bothered, and secondly I find that people get more annoyed by it when I don't. A point you seem to have made for me.

ReputationRep:
    i would have said Britttish

but

other peoples ranting has put me off

ReputationRep:
    "I've been dreaming of a time when to be English is not be shameful"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThisLittlePiggy)
    Spoiler:
    Show

NO SURRENDER!

:awesome:

In the scope of thing what does this sense of nationality actually add to our lives?

Not a philosophical,provoking question or malicious question.Just wanting to see some opinions from people who feel a particular national identity.

IMO in an ideal world it'd just give us a sense of belonging to something, someone, and for me personally when i think British i think of the word 'empire' .. see what im getting at? ie Northern Irish as a nationality because you don't want to be considered either british or irish etc.

Personally, I'm Irish. Leprahauns and all :woo:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.