Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When do you become 'too old' to still be living with your parents? Watch

ReputationRep:
    You should stop living with them by the time you've left uni

ReputationRep:
    im leaving home when im 21 because I can afford a house after saving for 3 years but its weird when you have the money but dont go

ReputationRep:
    >9000

ReputationRep:
    I'm moving out after uni, but I'll be abroad for a year

I would say between 21-24

ReputationRep:
    18 in my opinion, but it totally depends on the individual.

im 18 and have been ready and wishing to move out for months!

only 2 months left :woo:

i cant imagine going back after i graduate either, but during the uni holidays where i have to live at home are going to suck!!

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on the person and their situation.

Personally i moved out when i started uni and i cant see myself moving back home properly when ive finished.

I will freely admit that I am a bit jealous of people whose parents still want them at home!
    My step mother is a complete and utter dragon and truly that is no under statement her own kids can't stand her. So I moved out at 18.
    I think the important thing if you live at home still is to treat your parents with respect. I do have some friends who just treat their mums like slaves. If you like your parents and want to live with them that's great, maybe think about it as you would a houseshare. And if you can't afford an equal share of the bills, pay what you can. Cook dinner some days to give your mum a night off, do the washing up, iron your own clothes. I look at my friends sometimes and think you have no idea what you've got there, how lucky you are, especially with your mum. All I am saying is you don't know what you've got till it's gone, don't take it for granted but also enjoy it as long as you can.
    Apologies for the rant...

ReputationRep:
    I really don't want to still be living with my parents when I'm 26. Well, I'm moving out in a couple months but that's only to go to uni. I want to have my own permanent home by time I'm in my mid-twenties.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arctic_wombaT)
    18 in my opinion, but it totally depends on the individual.

im 18 and have been ready and wishing to move out for months!

only 2 months left :woo:

i cant imagine going back after i graduate either, but during the uni holidays where i have to live at home are going to suck!!
    what about means like people not going to uni

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Well if you've done uni then it could be pushing 23 - you need to get a job before you can live alone (not counting student loans etc). So as soon as you can get a well enough paying job, basically.

ReputationRep:
    around 24. I wouldn't have wanted to stay at home past 18, though.

ReputationRep:
    I hope I don't live with my parents when i'm in my twenties tbh, I will be going to uni this year for 4 years overall in a different city to where I live and in a ideal world I will move thier, but who knows what the future lies.

ReputationRep:
    Again, it all depends on the individual.

I'd say financial ease is the most important consideration.

E.g. I lived in a small-town near the Welsh border but went to university in London and now study at uni during the day and work during the evenings in London where salaries are substantially higher and I make a higher net profit than what I would make were I to work in my home town and live rent-free.

I moved out at 18 which I think is probably quite early by British standards but then different people value different levels of independence. Parents and family can easily be contacted via telephone, mobile, e-mail, MSN, webcam, skype etc. Many people may stay with their parents whilst in the process of applying for a graduate-level position or may choose to stay so that they can save harder for a deposit on property.

e.g. were my nuclear family to have lived in a semi-affluent part of London then it would make greater economic sense to live at home rather than move out at the earliest realistic opportunity.

squishysquish.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently the average age in the UK at which a 'child' becomes fully financially independent of his/her parents is 32 - not sure how closely that would correspond with age at which said child moves out of a parents' home.

squishysquish.

ReputationRep:
    I moved out for uni when i was 18 and i am now 20 and moving back for the next year and maybe the next couple of years. When i graduate i am leaving for good. I am not one of these people who lives at home with their parents so they can spend all their wages on booze. I think anything much older than mid twenties and you are pushing it a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    When you can afford it. Graduating from University does not necessarily mean that you have a job that pays enough to move out entirely - especially with the job market as dire as it is.
    this is the answer, obviously.
    some people's suggestions here are just silly.

ReputationRep:
    Well I for one could not have afforded to live away from my parents at 18, I was only in my 2nd year of A-levels with a temp job- even if I could have afforded it no landlord would have accepted me!

And as for now, I've just graduated and I'm nearly 23. I live at home as I cannot afford to live away- salary is too low for such an expensive area. However my parents are not here so I have the house to myself-I think if I were living with them I would be going slightly crazy by now!

I think for me, if I were living with my parents past the age of about 25 it would be starting to get a bit odd.

ReputationRep:
    When you can afford it. My sister moved out, but had to move back homebecause the rent increased. I don't want to be living here after I graduate, but I might end up doing so.

21. If you can afford/find somewhere else to live.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.