Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

When do you become 'too old' to still be living with your parents? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm moving out alone to another country at the moment and I'm 17. I would say that at 19 it starts becoming uncool, after 22 is super lame.

ReputationRep:
    I'm moving out soon, and i'm 17 but thats because of uni.

ReputationRep:
    I just turned 19 and I'm off to uni in september. I have 2 older brothers who moved out years ago (after they went to uni)... but to be honest I enjoy living at home, as it's just me and my mum now so we get on pretty well. I don't know what I will be doing or where I will be living after uni, however I'll always think of this place as "home", even if I end up living elseware. I think if your not productive and don't want to support yourself, then it's not healthy and maybe you should move out to gain some independance.. however I suppose it's down to the situation. I don't think you can put an age on it as such, because at 18 I was still at college so it would have been impractical for me to move out.

ReputationRep:
    Early 30s.

But this is the obvious difference in western and eastern culture. Most people still live with family members after graduation, it's local work.

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to say. A lot of people want to be independent like I did but move out when it's beyond their means.

ReputationRep:
    from what i remember of the few family law lectures i went to before i quit doing Law, your parents have the legal obligation to support you until you're 25, after that you're on your own bud.
    so i'd say that.
    I stayed until I was 19 and then moved out for 2 years, but i discovered it's near enough impossible to live on a 14 hour a week job and £900 annual student loan, so I moved back home and will stay here until I finish uni in a year.
    after that I plan to move out near my sister for a few months and grab a job, then use all the money I've saved staying at home to go travelling.
    After that i'll stay at my parents until I find a job, then move out as soon as I can find an apartment I can afford, though I do have plans to emigrate once I finish uni.

wow i didn't need to say any of that.
    after 25 you're too old

oh yeah, and people who don't stay in their uni residence over the summer or still receive financial support from their parents haven't really moved out, which a few people I know seem to claim

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    When you can afford it. Graduating from University does not necessarily mean that you have a job that pays enough to move out entirely - especially with the job market as dire as it is.
    The most sensible answer in this entire thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    My older brother left home at 18 for university and hasn't lived with us since He does visit us but he shares a house with other people.
    haha... your sig

+rep my friend

ReputationRep:
    There isn't a set age and anyone that says there is, quite frankly is talking out of their behind. Depends completely on circumstance such as job availability, qualifications, savings, earnings, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikki-77)
    haha... your sig

+rep my friend
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    For me I've always targeted 24. I finished uni last September and the plan was to work for 3-5 months and then go abroad. I couldn't even find casual work therefore the travelling idea gradually became an impossibility so I've just been living at home whilst volunteering (and LOADS of house work). I'm off to uni again this September and I don't plan on coming back afterwards. My parents are pretty easy-going and are generally ok to live with (my Dad likes having me at home after a decade of mainly being away from home) but independence is so important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    21. If you can afford/find somewhere else to live.
    I agree.

ReputationRep:
    Went off to Uni at 18 and havnt lived with my parents since. They've moved to the south of France but still have our old England house which my lil brother lives in so I sometimes go live with him for a few weeks between places.

I couldnt imagine trying to live with my parents now. Would drive me nuts.

ReputationRep:
    25 and above

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there's a set age that people should definitely move out when they hit, but as soon as they have a steady income and are over the age of 18 then really is no need to live with their parents anymore.

ReputationRep:
    When you have finished education and have a proper full-time job which pays enough money for you to flat-share or something.

I can't believe people's parents let them back after uni! My parents have made it quite clear that thye won't accept that at all!

What do you all think of people who can afford to move out, but choose to stay at home so they can save up to get a deposit on a house?

ReputationRep:
    If both parties (parents and 'child') are happy staying under the same roof then it can be a good idea considering how hard it is to get onto the property ladder these days. Everybody would have their own preference though.

ReputationRep:
    I still live at home and atm, all I want to do is move out. But I'm a late starter in the world of work due to health reasons so I'm still only part time so I don't have the finances to move out. I've got £7k towards a deposit on a flat or something but I just don't earn anywhere near enough to support myself. I'd love to have my own place, to make my own rules, but I'm pretty dependant atm.

ReputationRep:
    i moved out at 19, but if i didn't have a boyfriend i'd still be at home..
    it's pretty comfortable living in the isle of man. :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2009
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.