Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically i wish to study Law at University - preferably a top one - AAA.
    I'm set on taking;

History [Extremely good at for GCSE]
    Politics
    Psychology
    Economics

And i've never done the other three, however my mum and dad think i am not keeping my options open or playing to my own strengths for my A-Level choices and want me to take;

Physics/Chem
    Maths
    History
    Something Else.

However i know that Physics is regarded as the hardest A-Level, Chemistry is also regarded as one of the hardest, and i'm "good" at Maths but do struggle - struggle to get A's understand some topics.
    I personally feel my choices, will allow me to achieve top grades - possibly A* now the new grade has came in and feel them subjects would be easier but still as respected by Universities than my parents choices.

I'm really not sure....
    Discuss?

ReputationRep:
    I can kind of see where your mum and dad are coming from- taking 3 new subjects is quite a risk, but in all honesty if you think you're going to like them and do well in them there's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't do them. They're all good...Psychology a tad less so, but there's no reason why it should disadvantage you and you can drop it at AS if you like. I'm sure if you did dislike any of your subjects you can change early on...I switched from Psychology to English Lit within the first 2 weeks of sixth form, best decision I ever made. Just do what you want.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you keep a strong essay-based subject like History, just do other three that you enjoy and hope you can do really well....If you don't like a subject, it can make you get a considerably lower grade than if you enjoy the subject so don't just blindly listen to your parents. However, Maths is a subject used as a pre-requisite for a lot of degrees so if you did decide to change from Law, having maths would only help

ReputationRep:
    i think history is good, maths is always useful wherever you go so definitely keep that. And umm yeah doing a science subjects is useful and economics isnt bad either. So basically i'll say do

History
    Economics
    Maths
    Chemistry/Physics

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, more input from people pleasee!
    I'll probably be dropping psychology after AS anyway so thats not a problem.

(Original post by bluemax)
    i think history is good, maths is always useful wherever you go so definitely keep that. And umm yeah doing a science subjects is useful and economics isnt bad either. So basically i'll say do

History
    Economics
    Maths
    Chemistry/Physics
    :ditto:

I'd agree with this OP. :yes:

Though, it doesn't matter which science you'll do, just do the one you most enjoy. :top:

ReputationRep:
    I can see their point of view but at the end of the day it is your decision and your future. Look into each of the a levels and decide on the ones that appeal to you most because the ones you find more enjoyable will be the ones you want to put the work into.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.