Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are people on here so Ignorant? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok I await neg for this, but it just has to be done because I'm sick and tired of seeing it on this site.

I know I'm generalising but I've seen a lot of posts on here which seem to suggest that everyone is the same, no matter what class or background. It just annoys me when you try and explain something to someone it goes through one ear and comes out through their nose. The same goes for university etc.

so i just wanted to know... why do some people think we are all the same?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KUJE2xs-RE

ReputationRep:
    How do you mean? I believe everyone is equal.

ReputationRep:
    Because we're all humans.
    In other news, we're really, really _not_. We are what we make of ourselves, nothing more, nothing less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    Equal in what? Natural talent? Natural ability?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomjones)
    Ok I await neg for this, but it just has to be done because I'm sick and tired of seeing it on this site.

I know I'm generalising but I've seen a lot of posts on here which seem to suggest that everyone is the same, no matter what class or background. It just annoys me when you try and explain something to someone it goes through one ear and comes out through their nose. The same goes for university etc.

There's generalising and then there's just being too damn vague...

Who are 'we'?

What do you mean by 'all the same'?

In terms of intellect, emotion, socio-economic position, ability, **** size?

WHAT DO YOU WANT??!!

ReputationRep:
    Because we know where to put our capital letters hahahahaha.

ReputationRep:
    Humanity is foolish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MichaelG)
    Equal in what? Natural talent? Natural ability?
    Yes. That doesn't mean everyone behaves in the same way, or does the same thing with their life, but I'm a strong believer in people born as blank slates.

ReputationRep:

The majority of people don't think that everyone is the same, just that everyone should have equal opportunities. And how is thinking everyone is the same and being ignorant connected?

ReputationRep:
    Because most of them are civvies mate. I know, it's something I have to deal with too.

()

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyche05)
    The majority of people don't think that everyone is the same, just that everyone should have equal opportunities. And how is thinking everyone is the same and being ignorant connected?
    That's blind ignorance. Ignorance is when you're blind to another persons situation and you seem to think the world is rosy when in actual fact it's crap, therefore you think everyone is the same... if that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. That doesn't mean everyone behaves in the same way, or does the same thing with their life, but I'm a strong believer in people born as blank slates.
    I used to believe that quite strongly too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkplug)

Who are 'we'?

WHAT DO YOU WANT??!!
    this.

plus a slap in the face :P

ReputationRep:
    We're not all equal. Specially not on TSR.
    If we want to promote equality; skip the rep system. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkplug)

Who are 'we'?

WHAT DO YOU WANT??!!
    I'm talking about ignorance in terms of class and cultural background i.e someone from one area think it's ok to do something, but someone from another area may think differently. A good example would be someone from a less privileged background going to university and then another person from a rich background who think money is not an issue.

A classic example would be someone saying giving a sucking some off is normal for most people, but a person in another area may think different.

It's quite hard to explain...

ReputationRep:
    Because ignorance is bliss.

ReputationRep:
    That's blind ignorance. Ignorance is when you're blind to another persons situation and you seem to think the world is rosy when in actual fact it's crap, therefore you think everyone is the same... if that makes sense.
    It doesn't, sorry :o: . Do you mean that most people here are from middle class families with all the associated privileges and advantages and that you find that they assume everyone else is from a similar background? (sorry about the overly complicated sentence structure, my thoughts are rather convoluted)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyche05)
    I doesn't, sorry :o: . Do you mean that most people here are from middle class families with all the associated privileges and advantages and that you find that they assume everyone else is from a similar background? (sorry about the overly complicated sentence structure, my thoughts are rather convoluted)
    yeah kind of. They seem to think that because the majority thinks a certain way, everyone thinks a certain way. So most people may think one thing, but a person from a poorer background may think very differently. A classic example would be most people look down on gansters and abuse them when they steal (i don't condone stealing), but to that person stealing it may be normal as a means to get by.

ReputationRep:
    I'm talking about ignorance in terms of class and cultural background i.e someone from one area think it's ok to do something, but someone from another area may think differently. A good example would be someone from a less privileged background going to university and then another person from a rich background who think money is not an issue.

A classic example would be someone saying giving a sucking some off is normal for most people, but a person in another area may think different.

It's quite hard to explain...
    I think I get what you mean, but I don't think most people on here are so short-sighted as to presume what's normal for them [education, income, social standing/life etc] is the same for everyone else.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.