Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    These beauty pageants and the media's control over people making them believe whatever they want such as what's beautiful and whats not is getting out of hand. If you turn to BBC3 now the you'll see the show "Baby Beauty Pageants" which is following girls who are are entering the UK's first little miss uk something or the other beauty pageant and I feel so sorry for these girls as their parents are raising them with all the wrong beliefs and turning their kids into plastic dolls. The girls all are obsessed with being famous and rich and it disgusts me. One parent made their child have plastic surgery when she was 7 and believes to be succeessful you need to be good looking.

Does anyone else think this is morally wrong. They're now dress up children under 10 years old and trying to make them look like models and rate them on their looks. Whats wrong with the media, can't kids just be kids? :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unknown?)
    One parent made their child have plastic surgery when she was 7 and believes to be succeessful you need to be good looking.
    I don't think it would be hysterical to describe this as child abuse.

ReputationRep:
    The whole thing is utterly disgusting and those who arrange such disgraceful events don't deserve the oxygen they breathe. The end.

ReputationRep:
    I'm watching that too... it's a bit disgusting and some of them are so plain looking.

ReputationRep:
    The worst thing is these children have had their rights to be children stolen from them It really is heartbreaking

ReputationRep:
    This is extremely difficult viewing — not least because she really can't sing.

ReputationRep:
    Beyond creepy

(Original post by Unknown?)
    One parent made their child have plastic surgery when she was 7 and believes to be succeessful you need to be good looking.
    That's just awful. :cry:

ReputationRep:
    It's all because you have ugly children, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty damn horrible. It's practically exploitation by the parents who want money and fame :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MelonFace)
    It's all because you have ugly children, isn't it?
    I'm only 16 lol! The main reason I feel sorry for these children is that all they think about it being pretty and think thats what they need to suceed. But you can't really tell whether or not a child will be good looking or not because their facial features can change as they get older so some of these children are going to be dissapointed when they are older and don't look the way they want.

ReputationRep:
    She didn't "make" her daughter have the surgery, she asked her if she wanted it. And there are some children who have their ears pinned back. It's not that uncommon.

However the whole "pushy parents" side of it is pretty bad, they're too young to be wearing make-up and strutting down catwalks!

ReputationRep:
    What gets at me more than anything is that most of the time it seems to be the pushy mothers who want it and NOT the little girls who are taking part. Even the ones that do want to take part seem to have an entirely warped perception of the whole thing. Its ridiculous.

I have the thing on BBC3 on, and the girl on now (Madison) doesnt want to do it atall, and has said so numerous times so far. Yet her mother keeps pushing and pushing. I absolutley hate people who live out their unfulfilled dreams though their kids, its so wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Its just generally creepy and it gives the kids a screwed up view of life.

ReputationRep:
    It encourages children to be superficial from a young age which can't be good for the future of the nation.

It's also really creepy. What sort of adult wants to spend their day looking at very young children and deciding who is cuter?

ReputationRep:
    omfg im so hard watching this.

ReputationRep:
    Creepy, disgusting and child abuse.

ReputationRep:
    I turned over just now.

What is wrong with these people?! :|

ReputationRep:
    i can already tell sasha is gonna make a mess of it, let's watch/

ReputationRep:
    There was one on tv ages ago about the family who actually went to America to pursue her dream. The poor little girl really wasn't that bothered it was all the mother, so much so that she even entered her little boy in a competition which he won. They spent thousands and made the little girl practise in public places all the time. You could tell how embarrassed she was and just wanted her mother's attention not to enter beauty pageants. I think they are very unnatural, children should be allowed to be children and taught that inner beauty and intelligence is far more important.

ReputationRep:
    It's all ******** really.
    Just on a whole other level.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.