Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

poll: feeling like you got in on a fluke watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: have you ever felt you got into oxbridge based on a fluke, mistake or a blag?
    hell yes, i'm worried i'll get booted out after my third supervision/tutorial
    41.94%
    sometimes i do wonder
    29.03%
    nah... i'm [insert relevant deity here], i always knew i'd get in
    29.03%

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    hi all,

this poll came out of one oxbridge student (who is getting firsts in their exams), saying they felt they'd got in by fluke when they were offered a place. this is also how i feel, so i was wondering how common that feeling is.

so, how many of you feel you got in by fluke, or due to a mistake, or that you blagged your way in and part way through your first year they're going to find you out?

will anonymise the poll, so that no one knows it was you who voted.

Pixie.

ReputationRep:
    same with my friend at oxford, he applied halfheartedly, got in by total accident and just got a first for his year 1. so I guess the selection process is pretty good.

ReputationRep:

There isn't a week that doesn't go by where I say something so stupid that I say to my housemates... how the hell did I slip through the university application net?!?! Seriously, it's like I am possesed by Paris Hilton for a few minutes each day. Wish I had her business nouse then I could make millions, how did she set herself up as a brand again....:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I felt like that for most of my time at Imperial (yeah I'm barging in on your thread :tongue:)

When you get the degree though, you do rather get over it
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I felt like that most of the first year. I ended up talking to my tutor about it and he was so lovely and reassured me that I was meant to be there and that he was happy he picked me. So now regardless of what people say or how I may sometimes feel, I don't feel like I got in by a fluke anymore :nah:

It took me pretty much all of first year to realise I didnt get in by a fluke. Then results came and it was apparent I did get in by a fluke :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    I felt like that most of the first year. I ended up talking to my tutor about it and he was so lovely and reassured me that I was meant to be there and that he was happy he picked me. So now regardless of what people say or how I may sometimes feel, I don't feel like I got in by a fluke anymore :nah:
    oh wow... that is so lovely! i really hope that was the case with me, and that my DoS took me cuz i'm actually good enough. I may also mention it to my personal tutor one day.

(Original post by Turdburger)
    It took me pretty much all of first year to realise I didnt get in by a fluke. Then results came and it was apparent I did get in by a fluke :p:
    (((hugs))) what year are you in? do you have time to hitch your grades up?

(Original post by ashy)
    I felt like that for most of my time at Imperial (yeah I'm barging in on your thread :tongue:)

When you get the degree though, you do rather get over it
    hahaha that's cool. glad to hear other students feel like that generally too (and we're/i'm not just neurotic lol).

(Original post by Miss Prankster Pixie)
    oh wow... that is so lovely! i really hope that was the case with me, and that my DoS took me cuz i'm actually good enough. I may also mention it to my personal tutor one day.

(((hugs))) what year are you in? do you have time to hitch your grades up?

hahaha that's cool. glad to hear other students feel like that generally too (and we're/i'm not just neurotic lol).
    Going into 3rd. 2nd year was much much better than 1st (well it wasnt hard) now so im happy now thanks
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Turdburger)
    Going into 3rd. 2nd year was much much better than 1st (well it wasnt hard) now so im happy now thanks
    glad to hear it. what's your subject? and you're an oxford person aren't you?

ReputationRep:
    Well i thought thhis for a while untill my admission test results came out which were good and i thought i got interviewed by so many tutors there's no way they all could have made a mistake. But the thought of going into a tutorial handing in work and it's just me and the tutor is scary, so is the thought of being average.

However i could miss my offer and no long have this worry :\

glad to hear it. what's your subject? and you're an oxford person aren't you?
    Chemistry and of course :yes:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    If it's really bugging you and for more than the first few weeks once you get there, do bring it up with someone. It was quite a big problem for me and had I spoken to my tutor in my first rather than third term, I would have been much happier. You might be surprised by what you hear too :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I half think I only got an offer by chance as well. I think it's a natural thing to think about how hard it's always talked about to get an offer and then after the initial euphoria you just stop and think "Hang on how did that happen" I'm still not convinced I'll actually get in anyway, and once I'm there I'm sure I'd have the odd doubt every now and again. In my feedback it says I performed well in all parts of the application but that little part of me thinks "Well then why did I need the third interview at a different college".

I'm not afraid of being average though. Being average is fine; I'd just prefer to be one of the best. When you go to a grammar school with lots of very bright people you come to accept that there will always be somebody better than you and all that you can do is play to your strengths.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by LizB)
    I half think I only got an offer by chance as well. I think it's a natural thing to think about how hard it's always talked about to get an offer and then after the initial euphoria you just stop and think "Hang on how did that happen" I'm still not convinced I'll actually get in anyway, and once I'm there I'm sure I'd have the odd doubt every now and again. In my feedback it says I performed well in all parts of the application but that little part of me thinks "Well then why did I need the third interview at a different college".
    See, my problem was I never got any feedback. So when my tutorial partner turned around and said I didn't deserve to be at Oxford because I hadn't made the grades, there was little I could say back :sadnod:

Meh. I got the feedback eventually
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    hi all,

this poll came out of one oxbridge student (who is getting firsts in their exams), saying they felt they'd got in by fluke when they were offered a place. this is also how i feel, so i was wondering how common that feeling is.

so, how many of you feel you got in by fluke, or due to a mistake, or that you blagged your way in and part way through your first year they're going to find you out?

will anonymise the poll, so that no one knows it was you who voted.

Pixie.
    Ha, that happened to me! Beginning of third term they realised they'd picked the wrong person and that i was going to fail etc. I had loads of people saying i'm rubbish, why aren't you achieving etc..

In the end i passed all 3 subjects easily . Mertonian tutor paranoia for you, i guess. I half expect they were disappointed when they found out they have to deal with me again next year though .
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    See, my problem was I never got any feedback. So when my tutorial partner turned around and said I didn't deserve to be at Oxford because I hadn't made the grades, there was little I could say back :sadnod:

:eek: woah, bad times. The warden said, after discussing my general failure, that i would fit in well at another university. I thought THAT was *****y...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by nexttime)
    :eek: woah, bad times. The warden said, after discussing my general failure, that i would fit in well at another university. I thought THAT was *****y...
    Nah, yours was more *****y. All my tutors, Senior Tutor, the Provost... everyone's been really nice, even when I did badly in Mods, etc. My tutorial partner was a bit of a jerk but he later admitted (without any prompting) that he was wrong, plus he got a ********** from my tutor about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Isn't Merton a bit harsher towards students who underperform though? (I understand this is anecdotal, but it was the impression I got)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Andy the Anarchist)
    Isn't Merton a bit harsher towards students who underperform though? (I understand this is anecdotal, but it was the impression I got)
    Yeah - the 'academic' reputation is very much based on tutors rather than students.

ReputationRep:

It was very generic feedback to be honest. It was sent to my form tutor but he let me read it. Thats horrible that your tutorial partner said that and even if it were true (which I'm sure it's definitely not!) no one should ever say something like that to someone else. My first reaction would have been to tell them to take a long walk off a short plank to be honest.

Besides that you've always been lovely to us applicants, you were our cheerleader during the process. :hugs:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.