Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I've read about the general requirements for sub-fusc -- white blouse, dark skirt and stockings etc. My question is how picky are the colleges about style of clothes? (I'm hopefully going to Lincoln, if that makes any difference.)
    Can I wear a full-length A-line black skirt, or does it have to be knee-length? Do my blouse sleeves have to be long? Can I wear a brooch with the ribbon? As in, attached to the knot? What sort of shoes can I wear?

Oh, and is the academic cap any less ridiculous-looking than the mortar-board?

ReputationRep:
    I just want to say that girls in sub fusc's look ridic hot and that is all.

ReputationRep:
    I seriously doubt I would.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Llrael)
    Ok, I've read about the general requirements for sub-fusc -- white blouse, dark skirt and stockings etc. My question is how picky are the colleges about style of clothes? (I'm hopefully going to Lincoln, if that makes any difference.)
    Can I wear a full-length A-line black skirt, or does it have to be knee-length? Do my blouse sleeves have to be long? Can I wear a brooch with the ribbon? As in, attached to the knot? What sort of shoes can I wear?

College makes no difference (its for exams and matriculation which are central).

No idea about sleeves. Never seen anyone wearing a full length skirt or a broach (but then i'm a guy so don't pay much attention to this sort of thing). Smart shoes, whatever they are for a girl.

Type sub fusc into google images and see (lol at the 'sexy sub fusc' photo - wtf? :p: ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    College makes no difference (its for exams and matriculation which are central).

No idea about sleeves. Never seen anyone wearing a full length skirt or a broach (but then i'm a guy so don't pay much attention to this sort of thing). Smart shoes, whatever they are for a girl.

Type sub fusc into google images and see (lol at the 'sexy sub fusc' photo - wtf? :p: ).
    LOL at the sexy sub fusc pic, I nearly died.
    it's amazing how few pictures of good looking girls in sub fuscs there are, obv Llrael should do the right thing for all of us
    j/k
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Wow wow wow. You're thinking waaaaaaaaaay too much. In practice, it seems anything goes!

Answers: yes, no, maybe, anything that's not black trainers, really!

Go for the mortar board though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llrael)

a) yes you should be able to, as you're allowed to wear trousers.
    b) I've worn a short blouse before without a cardie in the summer, and with one in winter
    c) I've not been told off for this.
    d) I think open-toed and a noticeable colour are the only real qualifications. I've seen people wearing boots. We were told no stilettos but everyone wears them anyway. Only mare is (as always) navigating cobbles and grass. I always think some Mary Janes with a pencil skirt looks great.

You're not allowed to wear the mortar-board and you are allowed to wear the soft cap. I don't think anyone cares what you wear, but I have seen very few people with soft caps.

I have yet to hear anyone being told off for sub fusc attire (and some that I have seen is just plain wrong) so for matriculation or collections if you need it for then - anything goes. Exams is the only exception and even then I wore a brooch and short sleeves. A friend wore open toe shoes (though with black tights).

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    At Matriculation those with the soft cap were instructed to put it on their heads, and promptly lost any allure wearing sub fusc had garnered for them by immediately taking the appearance of misguided and distinctly amateur pirates.

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear lord there was a thread on this YESTERDAY!!

You can wear ANY white shirt, ANY black skirt or trousers that aren't entirely ridiculous, ANY black shoes and I have no idea why on earth you would want to wear a brooch but if you really want to then I doubt anyone would stop you.

Get a mortarboard. Soft caps are for social recluses.

ReputationRep:
    Mortar boards over caps, definitely.

You tend to resemble a penguin, but at least half of Oxford share that predicament with you, so do not worry.

ReputationRep:
    If I could work out a way to anonymise my photo, I'd post a pic of the soft cap on so you could see how strange it looks.

My friends voted to put bells on it and turn it into a jester's hat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    Oh dear lord there was a thread on this YESTERDAY!!

You can wear ANY white shirt, ANY black skirt or trousers that aren't entirely ridiculous, ANY black shoes and I have no idea why on earth you would want to wear a brooch but if you really want to then I doubt anyone would stop you.

Get a mortarboard. Soft caps are for social recluses.
    Egads, I'm sorry! I searched for threads with a variety of different terms and failed to find the answers to my specific questions, hence the new topic.
    But I AM a social recluse. And I want an excuse to buy a cameo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    In practice, it seems anything goes!
    No it doesn't! I turned up for graduation in nude tights and was thrown a pair of black ones almost as soon as I walked through the door!

--

I had a soft cap, purely because I had one as a hand-me-down from an auntie and it seemed stupid to rent another hat when I already had one (and I look stupid in ANY hat so that wasn't a good reason to rent a mortarboard either!). If you wear it on the back of your head, rather than on top of your head, it looks fine.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Angelil)
    No it doesn't! I turned up for graduation in nude tights and was thrown a pair of black ones almost as soon as I walked through the door!
    :eek:

Oh dear. You're definitely in the minority though. I've seen and heard about all kinds of things which I'm sure aren't technically sub fusc :yes: The only person I've ever heard of being told off was my tutor. She tried to go to her student's recital in flesh-coloured tights but was turned away by the usher (a fellow postgrad who either really doesn't like her, or just felt like winding her up)

ReputationRep:
    aww...sucks to be me
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by swiftuk)
    If I could work out a way to anonymise my photo, I'd post a pic of the soft cap on so you could see how strange it looks.

My friends voted to put bells on it and turn it into a jester's hat.
    Put a red blob over your face using Paint?:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Ah, lovely hobnob, ever-technical. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Please dont get the soft cap, just makes you look soft in the head... not cool. The proctors and examiners especially get picky about sub fusc - I know its slightly different but someone in my exam got fined a tenner for odd socks! I think the skirt has to be generally about knee length (or at least that is what 99% of the girls Ive seen do). Blouse sleeves are optional I think, though again I think its usually short sleeved (youre allowed a black cardi if you get cold). Brooch is fine and shoes need to be smart black really. I guess thats about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Hmmm...see if this works.

Soft cap (left glasses in for reference purposes)

Mortarboard

ReputationRep:
    How on earth did you make your soft cap look like that?! (no offence...)

Here's mine:
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...2&id=223304238

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.