Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    How on earth did you make your soft cap look like that?! (no offence...)
    That's how it came out of the box (in the post)...part of the issue is that it is much too big (despite the mortar board of the same size being too small), and I have a funny shaped head.

The soft cap does look better as you've got it - did you hair grip it to make it stay on the back of your head?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, think there might have bee hair grips involved Mine wasn't new either so it may have been softer/less starchy?

ReputationRep:
    Teehee it looks like a paper boat

ReputationRep:
    I think the stiffness probably doesn't help (the photo makes it look as if the front peak of the three is standing up, which it shouldn't be).

ReputationRep:
    Mortar boards definitely. They make better pencil cases come exam time. In terms of wear, neither mortar boards or soft caps look particularly attractive on the vast majority of people - the advantage of mortar boards is that you don't have to wear them.

Apart from that, girls can be fairly individual in their sub fusc. Black tights, black smart-ish shoes, white shirt (long or short sleeve), and black trousers or skirts (some people go for high-waisted or more fashionable stuff, others just prefer to be comfy). Whatever floats your boat really.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm.... I'm thinking a pencil skirt with a pretty white blouse and the rest for matriculation, and then revert to old school shirt and black trousers for exams (much warmer!).

If I get there that is... I really shouldn't be thinking about this yet. :erm:

ReputationRep:
    The only reservation I have about the subfusc is that the gown is ridiculously big for me.It hangs on both sides and looks a bit weird.I am tall (5'9) and weigh 7.8 stones, so I guess that's just how it's meant to be. Shame you can't get it in size 8
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by upturnedpalms)
    Ah, lovely hobnob, ever-technical. :p:
    I prefer to call it lateral thinking.:p:

By the way, I think the soft cap only seems so pointy because swiftuk is looking straight into the camera in that picture.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by eve_22)
    The only reservation I have about the subfusc is that the gown is ridiculously big for me.It hangs on both sides and looks a bit weird.I am tall (5'9) and weigh 7.8 stones, so I guess that's just how it's meant to be. Shame you can't get it in size 8
    You could cheat and get a small advanced students' gown.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Hmm... what is this?

Someone mentioned girls being allowed to wear a black cardi - the Oxford site said a "dark coat" was allowed if desired... I'm guessing once again this is fairly flexible?!

I'm touching so much wood just to let myself think about this... :o:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, but what's that?

ReputationRep:
    I think hobnob refers to what some of the websites are calling a postgraduate gown (supposed to come to the knees on postgrads, rather than the commoner's one which is shorter, but as a tall undergrad you could get one for short postgrads which might be narrower).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by eve_22)
    Sorry, but what's that?
    That's the gown normally worn by new graduate students, but it looks exactly like the commoners' gown - except that it's a bit longer. So if you're so thin that the commoners' gown for your height looks ridiculously baggy on you, an advanced students' gown meant for someone considerably shorter than you might get you the right length of gown without it being too loose-fitting.

ReputationRep:
    That's the gown normally worn by new graduate students, but it looks exactly like the commoners' gown - except that it's a bit longer. So if you're so thin that the commoners' gown for your height looks ridiculously baggy on you, an advanced students' gown meant for someone considerably shorter than you might get you the right length of gown without it being too loose-fitting.
    Thank you, I'll look into that

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest, what are the commoner's gowns made out of? I have a pet peeve with wearing synthetic clothing, so I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for cotton?

ReputationRep:
    the cheap ones (that you'll see in these deals) are synthetic, you can pay more and get cotton

(Original post by probably not)
    the cheap ones (that you'll see in these deals) are synthetic, you can pay more and get cotton
    Where abouts from?

ReputationRep:
    hmm, i can't actually find any online. they're certainly available in actual shops though.

(Original post by probably not)
    hmm, i can't actually find any online. they're certainly available in actual shops though.
    Just the usual S+W, E+R etc.?

ReputationRep:
    yeah.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.