The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Mine is from Walter's and I'm 99% sure is cotton :smile: The only nasty syntheticy ones i've ever seen are the ousu ones...
Reply 41
HoVis
Hmm.... I'm thinking a pencil skirt with a pretty white blouse and the rest for matriculation, and then revert to old school shirt and black trousers for exams (much warmer!).

If I get there that is... I really shouldn't be thinking about this yet. :erm:

Warmth is really not a concern for exams - in the heat of Trinity Term, in Schools (or Ewert House, for that matter) - it's always hot.
Reply 42
cpchem
Warmth is really not a concern for exams - in the heat of Trinity Term, in Schools (or Ewert House, for that matter) - it's always hot.

Depends on the weather... When I sat my finals it was freezing cold, so I actually had to wear a T-shirt underneath my subfusc in order to stay warm. (For anyone who's considering doing this, don't do the obvious thing and wear a white T-Shirt, go for a light grey one, because it'll be far less visible.)
Llrael
Ok, I've read about the general requirements for sub-fusc -- white blouse, dark skirt and stockings etc. My question is how picky are the colleges about style of clothes? (I'm hopefully going to Lincoln, if that makes any difference.)
Can I wear a full-length A-line black skirt, or does it have to be knee-length? Do my blouse sleeves have to be long? Can I wear a brooch with the ribbon? As in, attached to the knot? What sort of shoes can I wear?

Oh, and is the academic cap any less ridiculous-looking than the mortar-board?

PLEASE don't wear a soft cap - unless you like to stand out from the crowd in a serious manner.

I have seen all varieties of subfusc, from long to micro-mini. My friend wore a short-sleeved blouse, and crossed her ribbon over (rather than tieing it) and pinned it to the blouse with a cute brooch. Add pencil skirt and Kurt Geiger mary-jane high heels and she looked HOT. My subfusc was similar secretary style but she did it much better (very Blair Waldorf).

One thing I will say is don't buy yourself opaque tights, you will BOIL in the summer. Either get yourself down to M&S and buy some black hold-ups (they don't have to be 40-dernier, they can be 20-30) or stockings and suspenders. Your legs will thank you for it.
Reply 44
cpchem

You're back!!! :biggrin:
Reply 45
Just about. Currently in the subterranean hellhole that is Balliol's computer room. No internet at the house yet. Grr.
Sorry if this has already been asked! I'm coming to Oxford for postgrad (Brasenose! :woo: ) and have my B.A. from an American uni. I understand we're technically allowed to wear our cap and gown from our old university, but my gown is a hideous synthetic confection meant to be worn at commencement only and somehow I think I'd look like less of an idiot in an Oxford-style gown. I was wondering about the mortarboard, though. The one I have is pretty standard for American universities--black polyester over a cardboard square with a black tassel (and a stupid gold dongle with "2009" on it, but I can take that off). Are the ones that you can get with the Oxford gowns any better, or do you think I could get away with using this cap and getting a new gown?
Reply 47
Bekaboo
Mine is from Walter's and I'm 99% sure is cotton :smile: The only nasty syntheticy ones i've ever seen are the ousu ones...

The OUSU ones are synthetic as hell - mine is an OUSU one, and I'm pretty sure if I rubbed my hand against it fast enough I could give the person next to me in exam schools a static shock from across the row.

Vis a vis hats, you aren't allowed to wear it anyway (BUT GOD HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T CARRY IT) so as long as you have a superfluous black square you should be fine. That said, they can be ridiculously anal about it for exams (matric, not so much) so it's worth asking when you get here.

Hahaha I've just realized how ridiculous it is that Oxford makes you carry an unwearable hat around.
Mayfly
Hahaha I've just realized how ridiculous it is that Oxford makes you carry an unwearable hat around.

It really is! Especially for people like me who can't be trusted to keep the mortar board calmly and safely in their hands (broke the tassle off mine on matriculation day!) :sadnod:

:biggrin:
Reply 49
Mayfly
The OUSU ones are synthetic as hell - mine is an OUSU one, and I'm pretty sure if I rubbed my hand against it fast enough I could give the person next to me in exam schools a static shock from across the row.

Vis a vis hats, you aren't allowed to wear it anyway (BUT GOD HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T CARRY IT) so as long as you have a superfluous black square you should be fine. That said, they can be ridiculously anal about it for exams (matric, not so much) so it's worth asking when you get here.

Except that you are allowed to wear it... just not indoors. Then again, I direct scornful glares at those who *do* wear them (you always spot one or two on the way to Schools in Trinity). Idiots.
cpchem
Except that you are allowed to wear it... just not indoors. Then again, I direct scornful glares at those who *do* wear them (you always spot one or two on the way to Schools in Trinity). Idiots.

Why are they idiots if you are allowed to wear them? (I don't as I lost mine while intoxiciated)
Reply 51
Turdburger
Why are they idiots if you are allowed to wear them? (I don't as I lost mine while intoxiciated)

Because it's generally accepted that they're not worn (so they're only doing it to make some sort of ridiculous point), and those that you do see wearing them invariably have the kind of smug face that I want to punch anyway.

Also, I want to know where they're stashing their stationary, if not in the mortarboard.

Maybe you should ask Steve if he has your mortarboard :tongue: :biggrin:
cpchem
Because it's generally accepted that they're not worn (so they're only doing it to make some sort of ridiculous point), and those that you do see wearing them invariably have the kind of smug face that I want to punch anyway.

Also, I want to know where they're stashing their stationary, if not in the mortarboard.

Maybe you should ask Steve if he has your mortarboard :tongue: :biggrin:

Steve L? Lol
Reply 53
Turdburger
Steve L? Lol

I was thinking Davies :p:
cpchem
I was thinking Davies :p:

That was actually a seperate intoxication :p:

(Mortarboard was at Matriculation, the Davies incident was at end of prelims)

Theres been too many really.
Reply 55
Turdburger
That was actually a seperate intoxication :p:

(Mortarboard was at Matriculation, the Davies incident was at end of prelims)

Theres been too many really.

You managed to lose your mortarboard within two weeks of being at Oxford? Impressive. Even more impressive is the fact that the bastards at Schools haven't tried to fine you for it... they threatened someone two years above me for having dark blue tights instead of black, or something equally stupid...
Reply 56
You ARE allowed to wear your mortarboard. If you get properly proctored then you HAVE to wear it so that you can remove it as a sign of respect :yup:
I found this all out from some old grads after we said something in front of Timothy Walker who laughed and said that was a new urban myth he hadn't heard. Apparently it's been around less than a decade...

Latest

Trending

Trending