Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bad experience with alcohol... but I didn't drink a lot? Watch

ReputationRep:
    On friday night, I went out with my friends. I drank a glass of wine beforehand. During the night, I had a shot of sambuca and a vodka and coke. Then, later on, I had another vodka and coke. I usually consume way more alcohol on this on a night out, but something very strange happened to me on friday.

My friends said, that at about half 12, I suddenly started going really out of it. Like I suddenly went really floppy, was slumping everywhere, and what I was saying wasn't making any sense. In the night club they took me into the medical room and tested me for my drink being spiked and it didnt appear to be. They then sent me to the hospital for a precaution and I was released very quickly.

Does anyone know why this could have happened? I have consumed way more than this amount of drink in the past, without being tipsy. Has a similar experience happened to anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    How much had you eaten that day?

ReputationRep:
    Drink mixing maybe?
    It can effect some people really badly.
    I tend to be fine when mixing drinks, but I have friends who if they mix their drinks will react pretty badly to it. Could it have been that?

ReputationRep:
    Yeeh that sort of thing has happened to me before... I drank about "normal" amount (quite a lot but usually fine on it) and couldn't remember most of the night, ended up in a police station because I could barely walk, threw up at the police station, my friends mum picked me up and took me home (and didn't tell my mum!! How lovely) and woke up the next morning, fully clothed and still drunk. Anyways, that's not the first time that's happened to me but I think you must have just been having "one of those nights". Also, there are things that can affect how drunk you get like if you are taking medication, what you've eaten, how often you get drunk etc. If you hadn't got drunk for a while then that may have added to it. The moral of the story is to drink slowly so you don't drink too much before it's kicked in. But it seems like you were drinking slowly so ahh that last bit of advice was useless!! Sorry, it does just seem like you were having "one of those nights" and you will probably forget about it soon enough.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your replies!

I don't think I had drunk alcohol for about 2 weeks prior to friday night, which is not long. Sometimes I go about a month without drinking alcohol. And I had eaten all day. Though I did eat mexican food at my friends house, which was really nice, but I'd never eaten it before.

It was weird, cos I can understand perhaps getting drunk on that amount, but not SO out of it, that I would have to end up being checked for my drink being spiked! The last time my friends saw me drunk, I had had a whole bottle of red to myself, then quite a few double vodka shots, and a couple more drinks after. But even then I wasn't slumped everywhere, completely out of it. I was just enjoying myself and going rather too happy!

thanks for your message back issih, has this sort of thing happened to your friends before? Do you reckon it is a one off thing that probably wont happen again?

After your police incident, how long did you lay off the booze for?

ReputationRep:
    Ah well I hope it doesn't happen again! Haha two weeks would be enough for me too start being more lightweight again... I drink alot.
    I don't know, after the police thing I had school that week so didn't drink then but as I said, I like to drink so I probably stayed off for a week at the most? Worst memory ever! This wasn't long ago.
    It's weird cos I never have become addicted to alcohol even though my mum thinks I am/was but I guess I did abuse it a bit... I drank to get drunk and so I would always drunk so much that I couldn't think.
    Anyway that sort of thing has happened to my friends before, once I had to tell my friend quite a lot of the shameful things she had done the night before when she had drank hardly anything...
    Yes... come to me if you need any stories involving drunkeness, I have them all and not all of them are good...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks again for your reply.

Well, my friends were VERY worried about me on friday and I feel really guilty, so I deffo don't think I'll be drinking for a while... Atleast not til August! But I can't hold off alcohol altogether, surely! That would be torture!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.