Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is Gordon Brown considered a genius? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm a little mystified by the reputation Gordon Brown holds. You can argue all day about political views, but what I don't understand is why so many people seem to think Gordon Brown is some kind of genius. This largely comes down to his understanding of the economy. However this is a man who holds no qualifications in Economics. His academic background is as a Labour Party historian - although how a man who demonstrates so little insight into people ever got a humanities degree I'll never know.

His general tactic is to use very complicated language that makes him sound impressive and helps him avoid scrutiny - what can people disagree with if they don't understand what you are saying? That's fine in the good times, people will just nods their heads and assume you know what you are doing. Witness his notorious 'post-neoclassical endogenous growth theory'. However when times get bad the same approach just p***** people off. they expect clear answers. In short, he's been found out.

All this was inspired by an article in the Guardian today by Julian Glover. In it he suggests that Brown's feted bail-outs of the banks was the work of the Treasury, lead by Alastair Darling and Lord Myners, whilst Brown tried to obstruct it. Also it's worth remembering that Lloyds disastrous takeover of HBOS was very much Brown, he cooked up the deal with his mate, Lloyds Chairman Victor Blank. Between them they brought down a perfectly good bank that had weathered the credit crunch.

Paul Krugman suggested that Brown had saved the world financial system. Well he certainly played his part in the world financial meltdown. However I think the credit for saving the banks deserves to go elsewhere. I look forward to Alastair Darling and Tony Blair's memoirs, which I think will show Brown to be far less the genius he and others think and more like a rather crude, two-dimensional politician whose main skill was in negotiating internal Labour Party politics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mick Travis)
    **Load of balls**
    He went to uni when he was 16 and has a PhD.

ReputationRep:
    Witness his notorious 'post-neoclassical endogenous growth theory'.
    As Michael Hesteltine pointed out in regards to that statement, "it wasn't Brown's... it was Balls'!"

Ed Balls.

I imagine Brown is probably clever enough, at least academically, but I certainly don't think he's a genius, nor do I think that makes him a sound Prime Minister by any manner of means.

(Original post by bodybuilder22)
    He went to uni when he was 16 and has a PhD.
    The exact same facts are true about my sister, and she couldn't find Hungary on a map.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Mick Travis]

All this was inspired by an article in the Guardian today by Julian Glover. QUOTE]

Oh dear, you read the Guardian.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=usainlightning]

All this was inspired by an article in the Guardian today by Julian Glover. QUOTE]

Oh dear, you read the Guardian.
    Problem with that?

ReputationRep:
    He managed to worm his way to being leader of the country without ever having to put his name on a ballot paper.

Pretty impressive, no?

ReputationRep:
    An economic genius? :confused: lol...

The good macroeconomic health of the UK under Brown (when he was Chancellor) was superficial. Consumer debt balloned, and we are now paying the price with this recession.

A "smart guy" like him should realise that economic growth has to be from a sustainable base.

From 2010, we may have a PM who actually IS trained in economics, but so far he hasn't put his economic knowledge to use. No talk of how to avoid this recession happening in the future, or if the UK economy needs to be more production-geared. Did he buy his Oxbridge degree, rather than read for it?

ReputationRep:
    He has a PHD. Do you? No?

p.s. he also has some sort of educational award thingy he got from university.. no idea what its called..

ReputationRep:
    May i also add that you spelt Alistair wrong. This makes you look Silly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phugoid)
    He managed to worm his way to being leader of the country without ever having to put his name on a ballot paper.

Pretty impressive, no?
    He is actually elected as an MP.

We didn't vote for Blair either! We vote for our local MP. It's the largest party that forms the government. They choose the leader, not us.

In reality we'd like to think we elect our PM.

ReputationRep:
    I have no doubt he is a very good accademic, he is not a leader though and never will be. I terrifies me to think about my lecturers and professors running for any leadership, they are just good at writing nice expensive books and talking about post-structuralism.

ReputationRep:
    He's obviously an extremely clever man from his academic history, furthermore despite what people may think you have to be extremely intelligent to rise to the top of British politics.

ReputationRep:
    Academically he is extremely clever, one of the most intelligent in the House of Commons. However, his political intelligence isn't of the same standard.

ReputationRep:
    His academia is very impressive, as he has a PHD. However his leadership skills I think does need improving

ReputationRep:
    There's no doubt that he is of above average intelligence, but that doesn't mean he is the best person in the enitire country for the job. He even regrets going to University at 16, he was selected for some "fast stream education program" and has since called it "ludicrous".

David Cameron has an equally impressive background (yes, I shall use wiki as a source here). He went to Eton and got 3 As out of 3 subjects as A level, and got a 1 in a scholarship level exam for economics and politics. He then went to Oxford and got a first, and an attempt was made by the KGB to recruit him.

At 22 years old he got a job at the Conservative Research Office, and when he went for a job interview at Conservative Central Office they received a phone call from a man who said:

"I understand you are to see David Cameron. I've tried everything I can to dissuade him from wasting his time on politics but I have failed. I am ringing to tell you that you are about to meet a truly remarkable young man."

At 25 he began to work for John Major's PM questions team, and was highlighted as the reason for Major's improvement in dealing with the questions. And so on ... I'm certain that Cameron could have easily got a Phd if that had been the direction he had taken.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a little mystified by the reputation Gordon Brown holds. You can argue all day about political views, but what I don't understand is why so many people seem to think Gordon Brown is some kind of genius. This largely comes down to his understanding of the economy. However this is a man who holds no qualifications in Economics. His academic background is as a Labour Party historian - although how a man who demonstrates so little insight into people ever got a humanities degree I'll never know.
    He is a very clever man, no matter which way you look at it. He was put a year forward, went to university at the age of 15 and came out with a first class degree, has a PhD from Edinburgh and is the youngest ever rector of that university. Don't twist the fact that you disagree with him politically into a incorrect and insubstantial personal attack.

His general tactic is to use very complicated language that makes him sound impressive and helps him avoid scrutiny - what can people disagree with if they don't understand what you are saying?
    What are you talking about? Have you ever actually listened to any of his speeches???!?!?!? He does not use many long words at all; though he frequently doesn't give direct answers.

All this was inspired by an article in the Guardian today by Julian Glover. In it he suggests that Brown's feted bail-outs of the banks was the work of the Treasury, lead by Alastair Darling and Lord Myners, whilst Brown tried to obstruct it. Also it's worth remembering that Lloyds disastrous takeover of HBOS was very much Brown, he cooked up the deal with his mate, Lloyds Chairman Victor Blank. Between them they brought down a perfectly good bank that had weathered the credit crunch.
    What do you think would have happened to HBOS had it not been taken over by Lloyds? Much better that Lloyds needs some help than HBOS completely fails.

ReputationRep:
    What do you think would have happened to HBOS had it not been taken over by Lloyds? Much better that Lloyds needs some help than HBOS completely fails.[/QUOTE]

What would have happened to HBOS? It would have been nationalised or part-nationalised like Northern Rock, RBS etc. Better to have one failed bank than two.

Lloyds was a perfectly good bank. They even made a profit last year and should never have gone down. Admittedly that's the fault of their own board, lead by Gordon's chum Victor Blank, but they were led into it by the Government.

ReputationRep:
    Brown a genius?

Most people I know seem to think of him as an incompetent ****-up who's ruined the country rather than a genius.

ReputationRep:
    Being a genius never ensured being a good prime minister.

ReputationRep:
    The LLOYDS/HBOS deal is brilliant in the long term. Mind you, the bank is still held by shareholders not the govenment, and in 3 or 4 years those shareholders will be very very very happy people. At the moment they are complaining a bit though.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.